Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'd be glad to say that Jensen is on his way out but that's definitely not what's happening thsi season. They probably just liked what they've seen from TVR on those rare occasions he cracked the lineup and made sure their #6/7 tweener for the next season is signed for a couple of cheeseburgers.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I hate to do this since the thread is currently full of riveting Washington Capitals discussion (thank goodness there aren't any charts cluttering up the current discussion about mods and ignore lists), but have some more analytics:

Caps’ Dynamic Duo is Lying in Wait

I might post more in depth in the analytics thread, but the TLDR is: Ovechkin and Kuznetsov have formed a formidable duo this season and one of the best across the entire NHL, albeit with a small sample size. Offensively they have been excellent, and defensively they have more than held their own.

It's reasonable to keep Backstrom and Ovechkin together for now since they are winning, but it was very noticeable how much better the Capitals played against the Islanders once Kuznetsov and Ovechkin were playing together.

Was the case in 2015-16 and 2016-17 as well, Kuzy, Osh and Ovi were dynamite together. Trotz had to breakup the 8-19-77 line in consecutive playoffs against Pittsburgh because they couldn't generate anything 5 on 5. The good thing is that Lavi has shown a willingness to go away from that line if it's not going.

That line lacks speed and puts more pressure on each player needing to make great individual plays to create space for themselves.

Look at that zone entry on the second Ovi goal against the Rangers, that was Kuzy making that happen with his skating and speed.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd be glad to say that Jensen is on his way out but that's definitely not what's happening thsi season. They probably just liked what they've seen from TVR on those rare occasions he cracked the lineup and made sure their #6/7 tweener for the next season is signed for a couple of cheeseburgers.

Dream killer! ;)

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Signing TVR does a couple of things. Locks up a 4th Right dee which are hard to find. He is a top 6 dee on most teams. With Jensen balling out, he becomes the 7th. Secondly, i do think it changes who we protect on dee. Now i think we protect JC74, Dillon (who bring unique physical play), and Orlov. So this leaves Shultz unprotected. If he gets picked, no big deal and TVR steps into top 6. Then gives you ability to move Orlov in offseason for value versus giving him up for free.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Also interesting point... TVR was selected in 2017 by VGK in expansion draft and then moved to Carolina. Sigs could be similar option for Seattle.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
probably not, but we didn’t need such insurance either.
I disagree here. Right dee are hard to fine and they don’t exist in our system. And again, i think this allows them to expose Schultz instead of Orlov (who has both playing and trade value). I think this is a savvy signing at 950x2.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I disagree here. Right dee are hard to fine and they don’t exist in our system. And again, i think this allows them to expose Schultz instead of Orlov (who has both playing and trade value). I think this is a savvy signing at 950x2.

RD the ilk of TVR are NOT hard to find....he’s a 6 at best here?

A 7/8 today? You don’t have to look hard to find those types IMO.

And they should expose Schultz.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I wondered if they've gotten indications from Chara that his interest in returning next year is low (either retirement or a desire to explore the open market).

Even if that were the case, that wouldn’t explain the TVR signing. If Chara left, it would be Siegs or Fehevary stepping up as 3LD. And that’s assuming Kempny’s time as a Cap is done. If Schultz is ever traded or picked in the expansion draft, we’d be back to having Jensen as our 2RD which is far from ideal.

I think this might have come down to them simply recognising TVR is a good player, showing him that they’re committed to him even when he isn’t playing, and giving themselves some insurance at no cost. It’s plausible Jensen could be picked in the ED – a fast, low-cost, PK-ing D who’s shown some offensive upside this season and ability to play decent minutes under the right system. I don’t see any of the D being moved out in the coming weeks, either, given the coaching staff’s reluctance to even play Siegenthaler or TVR when they’ve rolled with 7D.

The caps could trade or bury TVR easily on that contract, so there’s no risk to the organisation. Bigger question is why TVR would want to resign given how little he’s played even in a heavily-condensed schedule. Ideally, Sheary and Chara get resigned to team-friendly deals too. Getting either of them back next season would be pretty sweet – especially with Sprong already signed for another year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There’s little incentive to sign a 2 year bench contract IMO.....so they have bigger plans for him as a player or a trade chip IMO, or he’s the type content to eat nachos and collect a check lol....

Tyler Sloan 2.0 lol?

seems overpriced for the nachos role, but in GMBM I trust.

we’ll see.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I wondered if they've gotten indications from Chara that his interest in returning next year is low (either retirement or a desire to explore the open market).

Chara’s likely retiring this summer, he just turned 44 and this is likely his last shot at the Cup.

Either way I don’t think he will (should) be back for us next season.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
A big thing is if we win the Cup this year. If yes, then I don’t think GMBM will be as inclined to keep the band together like last year. And also, Lavi will now know who he likes and who he doesn’t. I think he likes Dillon and I think he likes TVR on a burrable contract. I think that is also why we gave him two (that matters because you have to expose a certain number of players with 2 or more years under contract). If we don’t win, i can see Chara coming back. Will be a lot of ebbs and flows between now and expansion draft. This signing gives us more options.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Chara’s likely retiring this summer, he just turned 44 and this is likely his last shot at the Cup.

Either way I don’t think he will (should) be back for us next season.

If he's interested in coming back then the Capitals should do what it takes to bring him back, barring an absolute nosedive in his quality of play which I don't really see happening despite his age.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
A big thing is if we win the Cup this year. If yes, then I don’t think GMBM will be as inclined to keep the band together like last year. And also, Lavi will now know who he likes and who he doesn’t. I think he likes Dillon and I think he likes TVR on a burrable contract. I think that is also why we gave him two (that matters because you have to expose a certain number of players with 2 or more years under contract). If we don’t win, i can see Chara coming back. Will be a lot of ebbs and flows between now and expansion draft. This signing gives us more options.

I think you’re misinterpreting the years under contract requirement.

The exposed players only have to be under contract for the 21-22 season. He’s already satisfied the required 54 games played in the last two seasons portion of eligibility (58 so far).

but yes, he’s a variable now they didn’t have under contract, so he certainly does provide more options.

just seems puzzling for this player to sign a nacho deal....more so if you’re threatening to bury him in Hershey lol....

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If he's interested in coming back then the Capitals should do what it takes to bring him back, barring an absolute nosedive in his quality of play which I don't really see happening despite his age.

yep, this. Unless his play craters, or he wants to retire, I’d already make it known we want to extend him after the ED.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
In the desert southwest, it gets extremely hot in the summer. When starting young plants, gardeners may place plants in the shade of much bigger shrubs or trees. That gives them a chance to grow and flourish. These bigger plants are known as "nurse plants."

I consider Chara like a "nurse plant." :DD

Nurse plants - Wikipedia

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Ive been expecting to see TvR more, but cant whine when the team is rolling. Ive liked what ive seen with the little ice time, and looks like GMBM have also done so.

Good deal! I think TvR is solid top6 guy. 950k for good seasoned veteran is nothing to worry about. And likely they see him playing more at some point. Im thinking they are already looking at the offseason. If Seattle doesnt pick a D, they will trade out someone anyways to open needed cap space for Ovie/Vrana/Sammy extension.

So, one of Schultz or Jensen will propably be goners offseason. ED or trade. Need the cap space. And now we have a solid guy with good contract to replace, thats already been with the team and already plays the system.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Wow. This is really really good. 6/7 D-man who can play up the ladder for under 1m??

I’d say next is Chara - but they won’t want to expose him to the Kraken, and he’s not going to want any part of moving to the PST.

I’m sure they will resign him after the expansion draft for an easy to swallow number. He won’t want to leave, and Caps won’t want him to leave.

just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad