Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
That is absolutely doable to replace Vrana with an equally if not the more effective piece for this money. A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y. The question is is Maclellan ready to move on from him or not. Spend some draft picks between the 2nd and 7th rounders, add some redundant prospects and Vrana himself and get a player who can play C position, doesn't lose pucks at enormous rate and scores in the playoffs which Vrana is allergic to. I don't care if the player coming in is 4-5 years older than Vrana. He should just be better at the things I've mentioned and that's enough.

my point was about the quoted cost of 5-6m. Not even saying it can’t be done but who is that player at that price for you?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Thoughts on Conor Garland? For something like Panik and a first I'd be all over it. There could be expansion protection issues once 8 is signed unless they want to risk losing Eller or Oshie (or, say, unless they've dealt Vrana). He's a pending RFA with arbitration rights so not a typical rental but a younger right shot fit is a big need. Sprong has looked the part from a skill standpoint but I'm not sure his defensive game will ever garner much trust. Garland is the sort of player that would immediately make them deeper and perhaps boost PP2. Not sure he'd fit on a line with Sheary but my impression is he's a mix of Sheary & Oshie. Like Sheary he's not an overly big but I'd target speed and skill over brawn up front at this stage. They need more slippery players that can break down quicker teams. Someone that can push Oshie back down to the third line is the way to go IMO.

Curious whether they'll be any more willing to part with the first rounder, particularly given heightened uncertainty evaluating the overall class. It may be wise to retain it as an asset for the expansion draft but for a relatively cheap non-rental it would have to be considered IMO. A lot of factors at play in such an addition but getting out of the Panik deal would be wise. He's got to be the top option in cutting salary, along with Siegenthaler in a smaller move you'd think.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Idk whos Garland but if hes capable of 2RW and more of hardworking guy than Vrana type, Id fly to US and drive Panik to the airport for him.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Garland doesn't stike me as a Caps type of player. Or dare I say a Laviolette type. I think he'd like more size in that top-6 and a guy who's not opposed to doing some work in dirty areas.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
On Vrana. I would be OK trading him his walk year if GMBM knows hes not going to extend him. GMGM wouldnt trade Semin or Green when it was clear they were leaving for FA

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think Konecny is a comparable for Vrana for contract terms. Top 6 winger that scores 25. So $5.5 seems right.

i don’t get trading him, I don’t know who you replace him with. McMichael isn’t ready and the other trade targets mentioned here also have their “issues” that we would complain about soon enough.

Sign him. Given his production, he’s consistent for 20-25 goals and will likely have trade value down the line. Move him if/when McMichael overtakes him.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I think Konecny is a comparable for Vrana for contract terms. Top 6 winger that scores 25. So $5.5 seems right.

i don’t get trading him, I don’t know who you replace him with. McMichael isn’t ready and the other trade targets mentioned here also have their “issues” that we would complain about soon enough.

Sign him. Given his production, he’s consistent for 20-25 goals and will likely have trade value down the line. Move him if/when McMichael overtakes him.
5.5x3 sounds fair, But he might like getting benched and wants a new start. Who knows

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
That is absolutely doable to replace Vrana with an equally if not the more effective piece for this money. A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y. The question is is Maclellan ready to move on from him or not. Spend some draft picks between the 2nd and 7th rounders, add some redundant prospects and Vrana himself and get a player who can play C position, doesn't lose pucks at enormous rate and scores in the playoffs which Vrana is allergic to. I don't care if the player coming in is 4-5 years older than Vrana. He should just be better at the things I've mentioned and that's enough.
You are way to focused on trading every player out of the lineup. Most of the time, the smart play is to keep you own unless they really don’t like him. I suspect we will do 2 year for 4.5 - 5.25M. I don’t think it will be near 6M. Personally I don’t want to see him make more than Wilson.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd be all over Garland for Panik and a 1st. I feel like it might take more than that though.
Probably so given how small his cap hit is ($775k) with so many teams up against it. To be clear, they're reportedly listening. He's not being shopped and isn't necessarily destined to move at the deadline. They could wait until the draft. But as options go it's one of the more appealing ones IMO (unlike someone like Rakell where retention would a key component). As far as him being too small, Laviolette rewarded Sheary when his play warranted it so I don't think that's an issue for him. Would MacLellan target him at the deadline if the price is much higher than that may be the better question. Much more and someone like Palmieri could be more convenient in that he'd just be a rental and not have to be factored into future structuring. Bobby Ryan could also fit if they want someone bigger with skill that maybe they'd trust over Sprong. Either way managing to move Panik should be a priority. They'll need the flexibility and Jensen has done more than enough to move the target away from him.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I really like Rakell as a player. Miller is a nice option too. Not opposed at all to trading for either Monahan or Lindholm if Calgary decides to make changes.
Those seem like players with warts equal to Varna’s that you’re not seeing for any of a few various reasons. The latter two in particular make the Caps middle six so slightly more dependable while losing more of its ability to bust a game open.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I've been disappointed with Dillon as the season goes on. His play seems to have slipped. I wouldn't mind if Seattle takes him off our hands.

One thing I do like is his physical game and we need that presence.

Not sure if others have noticed but one thing he does - usually several times a game - is he will shoot at goal from the left point, WAY too far out and no matter how much traffic is in front of him.
Almost every time he does this the shot comes off a player and the puck gets turned over. He then has to scramble to prevent the player getting past him, which he almost always does but it's such a high risk play and if it fails
it's a breakaway attempt on goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad