Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Again, Fehervary sits 5th on the LD depth chart. 1 of those 3 plus Chara have to go for Fehervary to get a sweater. would you pass on Chara to make line up space for the kid? That is exactly what Boston did
you think chara is going to extend? i really doubt this is more than a one year deal

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Again, Fehervary sits 5th on the LD depth chart. 1 of those 3 plus Chara have to go for Fehervary to get a sweater. would you pass on Chara to make line up space for the kid? That is exactly what Boston did
I think at some point, if you value your prospects, you have to make space for them to graduate. We've sent a number of young players out in the past several years and they've found success elsewhere. That's fine. But eventually, don't you think the Caps want to keep and cultivate some of their drafted talent, especially because they're up against the cap and cheap young talent has to be part of the solution.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Would have to think what Chara wants to do may be impacted by how they finish the playoffs. If they pull off a Cup win, it may be a perfect retirement party. If they don't, will he want to come back for his age 44/45 year?
Much like Orpik I think it'll also depend on how he's feeling (both mentally and physically) in the off-season and whether he's up to putting himself through the paces training again or not.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think at some point, if you value your prospects, you have to make space for them to graduate. We've sent a number of young players out in the past several years and they've found success elsewhere. That's fine. But eventually, don't you think the Caps want to keep and cultivate some of their drafted talent, especially because they're up against the cap and cheap young talent has to be part of the solution.

I thought we were there this season but decided to keep Dillon and added Chara. For next season I dont see Fehervary as better than either of them and its a win now team.

Is your answer to trade Dillon and let Chara walk to get a lineup spot open for Fehervary? Again, that is what Boston did with Chara. You make a case for the long term value of the young player. I think Chara in particular has had a major positive impact. More than I expected for sure.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I thought we were there this season but decided to keep Dillon and added Chara. For next season I dont see Fehervary as better than either of them and its a win now team.

Is your answer to trade Dillon and let Chara walk to get a lineup spot open for Fehervary? Again, that is what Boston did with Chara. You make a case for the long term value of the young player. I think Chara in particular has had a major positive impact. More than I expected for sure.

Added Chara AND Schultz. If I'm a D prospect in the Caps system I might be getting a little frustrated at the path ahead.

At the same time, Caps fans are constantly talking about the Ovi/Backie window to compete for a Cup, we know its not open for much longer, and so GMBM has decided he's not going to leave the defense up to youngsters.

At the same same time, he has left the goaltending up to youngsters, but it all appears to be working out thus far in the recent small sample size.

Reactions: Calicaps

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Asked the question and got no answers probably cause it got lost in the discussion so will try again. Back when Copley got signed for 3 years the only reasonable explanation for that here was they're looking to have him exposed at the seattle draft. Now all of a sudden this chatter about them picking one of Vanecek/Samsonov is gaining steam. So what was the deal with that signing?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Asked the question and got no answers probably cause it got lost in the discussion so will try again. Back when Copley got signed for 3 years the only reasonable explanation for that here was they're looking to have him exposed at the seattle draft. Now all of a sudden this chatter about them picking one of Vanecek/Samsonov is gaining steam. So what was the deal with that signing?

Problem with that is that Holtby fell off. Dramatically. Samsonov was still an unknown, I don't even think he was in North America yet.

So we had a choice to leave Copley exposed - and he did well that year (or started well at least) as the backup in the NHL, and keep Holtby and leave Sammy overseas.

Yeah it kinda of blew up in our faces, but at least it was only a $1.1 mil AAV blow up where our eyebrows got singed but the face is still beautiful.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Problem with that is that Holtby fell off. Dramatically. Samsonov was still an unknown, I don't even think he was in North America yet.

So we had a choice to leave Copley exposed - and he did well that year (or started well at least) as the backup in the NHL, and keep Holtby and leave Sammy overseas.

Yeah it kinda of blew up in our faces, but at least it was only a $1.1 mil AAV blow up where our eyebrows got singed but the face is still beautiful.
I would've bought the expansion draft explanation even back then if the annual salary was in the league minimum ballpark. But 1.1M for a guy who had barely seen an NHL ice...eyebrows definitely raised before they got singed.

Reactions: tenken00

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Added Chara AND Schultz. If I'm a D prospect in the Caps system I might be getting a little frustrated at the path ahead.

At the same time, Caps fans are constantly talking about the Ovi/Backie window to compete for a Cup, we know its not open for much longer, and so GMBM has decided he's not going to leave the defense up to youngsters.

At the same same time, he has left the goaltending up to youngsters, but it all appears to be working out thus far in the recent small sample size.

I certainly agree that you are not supporting your kids in the net if you are also using kids on defense and visa versa. I think with the style of hockey that Laviolette demands from his defensemen, inexperienced kid defensemen are going to have more trouble than veterans. I think Chara and Dillon in particular give the goalies a much more secure feeling in their game's. I think particularly in the case of Samsonov that reliability has been of great value.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I would've bought the expansion draft explanation even back then if the annual salary was in the league minimum ballpark. But 1.1M for a guy who had barely seen an NHL ice...eyebrows definitely raised before they got singed.

Copley's Cap hit for the Caps is only $25K. I believe when he signed, Sammy was still in Russia*, Vanny had finished his 3rd full season in Hershey and his NHL prospects were not yet clear. So at the time, his signing was not purely fodder for Seattle. He was signed to be backup to Holtby. He had finished his 2018/19 season with 27 NHL games, 2.90 and .905, so he had shown competency as an NHL backup. It just happens that Sammy has advanced above him and so too has Vanny since then. Not everything is a conspiracy or a stupid move, sometimes just plans change based on development of other players.

*Correction, when Copley signed, Sammy had just finished his 1st AHL season where he came over mid year and it was a mixed bag. 2.70 and .898, but if I recall correctly it was a dreadful slow start then warmed up nicely at the end, so at the time Sammy's NHL prospects were not yet clear. Also the alternative to signing Copley to a modest backup contract was to let him walk for nothing... Right now we know what he is, AHL starter, NHL backup. For $25K to the Caps cap.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
All Caps needs to care right now is maximizing chances to bring home another cup before Ovie-era is over. No roster spots should be given to kids for free. If you want it, take it. Compete. Win. We are here to win, not handing out participation rewards so we dont frustfrate the kids. If you want to take a roster spot from Chara, then push that 44 year old grandpa out of your way.

Theres two rookie goalies there because circumstances played out that way. Dont forget we signed Lundqvist here, we werent planning on playing two rookies. But Vanecek got a chance and he fought his place there. Samsonov too. If they didnt deserve it we would have already traded for a vet goalie.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Copley's Cap hit for the Caps is only $25K. I believe when he signed, Sammy was still in Russia*, Vanny had finished his 3rd full season in Hershey and his NHL prospects were not yet clear. So at the time, his signing was not purely fodder for Seattle. He was signed to be backup to Holtby. He had finished his 2018/19 season with 27 NHL games, 2.90 and .905, so he had shown competency as an NHL backup. It just happens that Sammy has advanced above him and so too has Vanny since then. Not everything is a conspiracy or a stupid move, sometimes just plans change based on development of other players.

*Correction, when Copley signed, Sammy had just finished his 1st AHL season where he came over mid year and it was a mixed bag. 2.70 and .898, but if I recall correctly it was a dreadful slow start then warmed up nicely at the end, so at the time Sammy's NHL prospects were not yet clear. Also the alternative to signing Copley to a modest backup contract was to let him walk for nothing... Right now we know what he is, AHL starter, NHL backup. For $25K to the Caps cap.
Fair enough. I just thought it was a conspiracy but now it all has cleared up.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If they had some talks with Chara and he didnt eliminate a possibility to stay, maybe right move is to trade Siege at deadline.

Yes, its less depth, but they should have MF and AA ready at least, and an option of playing one RD on the left (what can go wrong).

If its still scary there is an opening to trade Siege at draft. Or before draft.

Anyway, if they feel MF and AA is the future, they expose Dillon/Schultz/Jensen and MF becomes at least #4 behind old Chara.

Mind you MF is Slovak. Chara has already taken him under his wing probably (remotely). There should be a chance to talk MF into feeling himself not that bad. Maybe.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Fair enough. I just thought it was a conspiracy but now it all has cleared up.

Well the TvR signing is most definitely a conspiracy in the works.

Dr6LonrVAAA-pcx.jpg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I think MacLellan wanted to keep Copley as a reliable 3rd goalie after Copley played well in 18-19 and with Samsonov coming in 19-20. He rewarded Copley with a guaranteed NHL salary in exchange for playing in Hershey as an injury replacement. It also can protect against a waiver claim when he is sent to the AHL.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

My answer is that the kids can't succeed (or fail) -- and you never know if they can carry the load -- if they never get to try.

We cannot afford to keep all of our vets unless we open cap space, and getting teams to help us with that costs extra in terms of prospects/picks in trade. So if we need, for instance, to trade Panik to recoup cap space in order to keep Chara who probably won't go for league minimum again--since Richard doesn't play to his cap hit--maybe you have to give your trading partner a prospect too, or a quality pick. At some point, and you can argue we're not there yet, that's not good asset management vs. letting Chara (who I love, BTW) walk and giving Fever or somebody a shot.

Reactions: crab

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My answer is that the kids can't succeed (or fail) -- and you never know if they can carry the load -- if they never get to try.

We cannot afford to keep all of our vets unless we open cap space, and getting teams to help us with that costs extra in terms of prospects/picks in trade. So if we need, for instance, to trade Panik to recoup cap space in order to keep Chara who probably won't go for league minimum again--since Richard doesn't play to his cap hit--maybe you have to give your trading partner a prospect too, or a quality pick. At some point, and you can argue we're not there yet, that's not good asset management vs. letting Chara (who I love, BTW) walk and giving Fever or somebody a shot.

Ok....My original question was who goes?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Perhaps they didn’t think Vanacek would be on a position to need to be exposed. Or it was insurance in case they traded away a youngster.

could be a myriad of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad