Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Carlson, Orlov, Dillon
I’m not nearly as confident that it will be Dillon as the 3rd. But we know at least one of Schultz/Jensen will be unprotected and in the event they get picked, TVR is a good signing for RHD depth. Especially when we don’t have RHD prospects.

So I wouldn’t take this signing as reason for why they would protect Dillon. I could see it though, they gave him a four year deal so they obv like him.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I’m not nearly as confident that it will be Dillon as the 3rd. But we know at least one of Schultz/Jensen will be unprotected and in the event they get picked, TVR is a good signing for RHD depth. Especially when we don’t have RHD prospects.

So I wouldn’t take this signing as reason for why they would protect Dillon. I could see it though, they gave him a four year deal so they obv like him.
I agree. I like Dillon, but I actually think one could interpret the 4-year deal as a possible hedge for the ED. If he's great and the Caps want to keep him, he's locked up. But if after a season+ they aren't so excited about him, it's appealing to Seattle to grab a vet tough guy D with some term.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Not really sure why you'd protect a guy with an inflated contract, a guy whose metrics have slipped quite substantially this year, and has literally the worst penalty differential in the entire NHL over the past 2 seasons.

Especially when there's another guy on the roster whose contract is more than reasonable, whose metrics have significantly improved under Laviolette and has a history of great defensive play, and has one of the best penalty differentials in the entire NHL among defensemen. And also plays on the right side where the Capitals are thinner organizationally.

Schultz could also inject himself into the discussion if he does well the rest of this season/postseason, but right now Dillon is the last on my protected list among D.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Carlson, Orlov, Dillon

I’m feeling this also....trade not withstanding...

“People” don’t like Dillon’s metrics, but Bmac likes the player.

Great point Cali though....maybe the contract is a deterrent and a reward so they can leave him unprotected.

It’s the age old , intangibles can’t be measured, issue for some. This is a common theme for some fans. It it what it is....some value the entire package a player brings, some only value what they can quantify.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Not really sure why you'd protect a guy with an inflated contract, a guy whose metrics have slipped quite substantially this year, and has literally the worst penalty differential in the entire NHL over the past 2 seasons.

Especially when there's another guy on the roster whose contract is more than reasonable, whose metrics have significantly improved under Laviolette and has a history of great defensive play, and has one of the best penalty differentials in the entire NHL among defensemen. And also plays on the right side where the Capitals are thinner organizationally.

Schultz could also inject himself into the discussion if he does well the rest of this season/postseason, but right now Dillon is the last on my protected list among D.
Why, whomever could you possibly mean????

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean realistically, he was fired for saying out loud what every referee knows and does on a game by game basis.

yep...true. Verbalizing it as a premeditated thing just makes it clear manipulation of the game....dumb to get caught admitting he’s artificially trying to level things.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Great point Cali though....maybe the contract is a deterrent and a reward so they can leave him unprotected.

It’s the age old , intangibles can’t be measured, issue for some. This is a common theme for some fans. It it what it is....some value the entire package a player brings, some only value what they can quantify.

He also signed Nick Jensen to a 4-year contract extension before he played a game with Washington, and also signed Justin Schultz to a 2-year deal at a higher than expected cap-hit this offseason. He probably likes those players too! And they probably bring intangibles too! Who knows! Certainly not us!

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Current lines at practice :D

Attachments

• BC7F998F-4794-4E5D-AE95-4B82EDFF2B26.jpeg
    BC7F998F-4794-4E5D-AE95-4B82EDFF2B26.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: twabby

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm on the "why should they protect Dillon" train. I mean..really..why? The guy was overpaid in the first place, I said it the moment it was announced. Heavy on his skates, not nearly as efficient in physical battles as Orpik was, offense is basically non-existent. Another example of "but he's good at PK" a.k.a. "he sucks at everything else" player. You really doesn't have to pay that much for a good penalty killer. They better protect Schultz, his contract expires soon anyways. If he's still good they can re-sign him, if he blows they just let him go and free up a ton of cap space. Protecting Jensen and/or Dillon..man they really aren't that bad to protect these guys lmao.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He also signed Nick Jensen to a 4-year contract extension before he played a game with Washington, and also signed Justin Schultz to a 2-year deal at a higher than expected cap-hit this offseason. He probably likes those players too! And they probably bring intangibles too! Who knows! Certainly not us!

Always searching for cost certainty. Teams need a Jensen-type who can play 3rd pair well at a decent wage and play up a pair in a pinch.

let’s make a wager.....starting today, I bet Dillon is a Cap longer than Jensen.

Reactions: Calicaps

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

You'd need to go out of your way to love Dillon's intangibles to make them worth more than Schultz's tangibles right now. He's really not worth protecting.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You'd need to go out of your way to love Dillon's intangibles to make them worth more than Schultz's tangibles right now. He's really not worth protecting.

My thought process is changing....I think this contract to Dillon was beefy enough to allow them to be confident he’s unlikely to get selected if exposed.

Remind me again of your predicted selections on D.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Always searching for cost certainty. Teams need a Jensen-type who can play 3rd pair well at a decent wage and play up a pair in a pinch.

let’s make a wager.....starting today, I bet Dillon is a Cap longer than Jensen.

That's not really a fair wager, given Dillon is under contract for a year longer than Jensen and if Dillon is exposed then I think he's less likely to be selected by Seattle than if Jensen were exposed.

I think a fairer wager would be:

-If Dillon is exposed in the upcoming expansion draft, and Jensen is protected, then I win the bet.
-If Jensen if exposed, and Dillon is protected, then you win the bet.
-Any other combination results in a push.

If this sounds fair, then I'd love to make a wager.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

It takes some reading between the lines, but it appears to me that Dillon fits into the team. That he is popular and trusted. The numbers dont take into account that teams are groups of actual people and the right people improve the team and the wrong people dont.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's not really a fair wager, given Dillon is under contract for a year longer than Jensen and if Dillon is exposed then I think he's less likely to be selected by Seattle than if Jensen were exposed.

I think a fairer wager would be:

-If Dillon is exposed in the upcoming expansion draft, and Jensen is protected, then I win the bet.
-If Jensen if exposed, and Dillon is protected, then you win the bet.
-Any other combination results in a push.

If this sounds fair, then I'd love to make a wager.

You think the Caps are going to protect Jensen? Dude

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Seems like it would be Schultz (Carlson, Orlov) if he was extended a few more years....

Might come down to who is playing great at end of season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad