Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
You think the Caps are going to protect Jensen? Dude

I think it's a fair possibility, yes. He's been arguably their most effective even strength defender this season, and he was arguably their best overall defender last postseason (damning with faint praise, but still). Those two facts lead me to believe that he could be one of 3 defensemen Brian MacLellan chooses, especially since his contract is also such a bargain.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
My thought process is changing....I think this contract to Dillon was beefy enough to allow them to be confident he’s unlikely to get selected if exposed.

Remind me again of your predicted selections on D.
I only have Carlson and Orlov, after that I believe there's not one way to do it right, they can succeed or fail depending on what their plan is for what happens next. I can't guess what that plan is or what deals may be explored so I don't have a "predicted" outcome if you're asking me what will happen. Some of it depends on Chara.

Dillon is my least desired of the ones mentioned, but even if that's how they go, the plan matters too. If Chara leaves and this is the safest way to balance the top 4 I can stomach it, with TvR locked up and some room for an LD prospect. I just don't see this rush to protect him like it's a no-brainer when he's less risky to expose and frankly not as good as Schultz. You're protecting more impact there and keeping a second breakout-capable defenseman and to me that's a lot more important to this team.

Also don't mind trying to get out of that contract before he gets slower and older, because he's already getting beat wide and chasing in the zone all the time.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Of course not. If the Caps could get Niskanen, you would be against that? You wouldnt move players to make room? Its not going to happen but you would rather have Jensen?
I'm not interested, and yes I would. How you think it's a good idea to drag that guy back into hockey at this time of year and have him be better than a regular 6 contributor is beyond me.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It takes some reading between the lines, but it appears to me that Dillon fits into the team. That he is popular and trusted. The numbers dont take into account that teams are groups of actual people and the right people improve the team and the wrong people dont.
Your go-to is to "read between the lines" and wax poetic about some chemistry that you also have no idea about. Could be he's just an alright dude that isn't actively rocking the boat, you have no idea.

Reactions: Hivemind and pman25

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Your go-to is to "read between the lines" and wax poetic about some chemistry that you also have no idea about. Could be he's just an alright dude that isn't actively rocking the boat, you have no idea.

Damn, I am a loser

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Damn, I am a loser
I didn’t and wouldn’t go there, just more confident than certain. Reading between the lines you were certain there was no way Laviolette would have Hagelin on the 4th line, for example, and Anderson wouldn’t sign on for taxi squad duty. I’m not here keeping track of your hits and misses but it does stick out that your informed athlete’s opinion is just as speculative as everyone else’s. I’m not seeing what makes Dillon “between the lines” special besides a rough resemblance to Brooks Orpik’s on ice qualities and some hope that it means the same in the locker room (and to me that guy is clearly Chara in reality) so I don’t get it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I didn’t and wouldn’t go there, just more confident than certain. Reading between the lines you were certain there was no way Laviolette would have Hagelin on the 4th line, for example, and Anderson wouldn’t sign on for taxi squad duty. I’m not here keeping track of your hits and misses but it does stick out that your informed athlete’s opinion is just as speculative as everyone else’s. I’m not seeing what makes Dillon “between the lines” special besides a rough resemblance to Brooks Orpik’s on ice qualities and some hope that it means the same in the locker room (and to me that guy is clearly Chara in reality) so I don’t get it.

Yea, I was wrong about Hagelin. By that I mean I didnt understand that 4th line assignment doesnt mean 4th line minutes.

I think you misremember my position on Anderson.

But I get it. Its time for another break. I annoy people too easy.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I’m feeling this also....trade not withstanding...

“People” don’t like Dillon’s metrics, but Bmac likes the player.

Great point Cali though....maybe the contract is a deterrent and a reward so they can leave him unprotected.

It’s the age old , intangibles can’t be measured, issue for some. This is a common theme for some fans. It it what it is....some value the entire package a player brings, some only value what they can quantify.
I think you read my post backward a bit. I rather though Seattle might like a vet guy locked up for 3 years. It's not soooo long that they are helpless, but long enough that they can bank on a bit of stability and snarl on the backend, so if the Caps decide they'd rather protect another player/aren't so keen on 4, they could expose him and have some reasonable hope that he'd be snagged.

That said, your take is equally plausible.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think you read my post backward a bit. I rather though Seattle might like a vet guy locked up for 3 years. It's not soooo long that they are helpless, but long enough that they can bank on a bit of stability and snarl on the backend, so if the Caps decide they'd rather protect another player/aren't so keen on 4, they could expose him and have some reasonable hope that he'd be snagged.

That said, your take is equally plausible.

It could go either way. Seattle gets a Leader-type locked up.

Reactions: Calicaps

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I’d protect Schultz over any defenseman not named Carlson.

I would protect Orlov and let Seattle claim anybody else if they want, then flip Orlov afterwards in a trade to Seattle if he was the guy they wanted to get from us. I would ask for a more defensive minded D in return and make one final run at the Cup with the current core.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Whichever way you twist it Carlson, Orlov and Schultz are their best guys by far. Protect them and then whoever Seattle takes from the rest of that D - good luck with that lol.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Orlov has significant trade value so you protect him. JC74 isn’t going anywhere. and then you have Dillon who BMAC loves and brings intangibles. Schultz may be attractive and we can slot in TVR. Siegs needs to be resigned which will almost surely be a 2 year bridge deal. If he is signed for more than that, then it is likely a back door deal so Seattle can take him and have him locked up long term. So for my money you protect JC74, Dillon, and Orlov. Trade Orlov in offseason for cap reasons and because he is replaceable with younger depth (Fever and Alexyev).

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
And if things continue, we are likely looking at Vanecek being taken. So we may have to make a deal to keep him and invent them to take Jensen or Siegenthaler. Probably a pick or prospect that still has a year or two of waivers.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Whichever way you twist it Carlson, Orlov and Schultz are their best guys by far. Protect them and then whoever Seattle takes from the rest of that D - good luck with that lol.

It’s pretty clearly arguable. A lot of knowledgeable fans in here have differing opinions on who should be protected. It’s a good problem to have right now. There’s an embarrassment of riches for us on the backend. For me, it’s Carlson, Orlov and Dillon - but it’s really close between Dillon, Jensen and Schultz. I won’t be particularly disappointed if I’m wrong. If we lose one to Seattle, I’ll just be relieved it isn’t Oshie.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
It’s pretty clearly arguable. A lot of knowledgeable fans in here have differing opinions on who should be protected. It’s a good problem to have right now. There’s an embarrassment of riches for us on the backend. For me, it’s Carlson, Orlov and Dillon - but it’s really close between Dillon, Jensen and Schultz. I won’t be particularly disappointed if I’m wrong. If we lose one to Seattle, I’ll just be relieved it isn’t Oshie.
I love all the knowledgeable fans out there but from my unknowledgeable POV it's pretty clearly not. There's 3 D who more or less good at hockey, there's the rest that is a replacement level guys.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yea, I was wrong about Hagelin. By that I mean I didnt understand that 4th line assignment doesnt mean 4th line minutes.

I think you misremember my position on Anderson.

But I get it. Its time for another break. I annoy people too easy.
I think you’re flattering yourself there but okay. You’re just too much, I couldn’t possibly read between the lines any better and I’m not interested in discourse anyway, just annoyed at your general prescience and awesome insider speculation.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I’d protect Schultz over any defenseman not named Carlson.

I would protect Orlov and let Seattle claim anybody else if they want, then flip Orlov afterwards in a trade to Seattle if he was the guy they wanted to get from us. I would ask for a more defensive minded D in return and make one final run at the Cup with the current core.

I really like Schultz as well. My only concern with him is injuries. He's missed a lot of games over his career.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
That's not really a fair wager, given Dillon is under contract for a year longer than Jensen and if Dillon is exposed then I think he's less likely to be selected by Seattle than if Jensen were exposed.

I think a fairer wager would be:

-If Dillon is exposed in the upcoming expansion draft, and Jensen is protected, then I win the bet.
-If Jensen if exposed, and Dillon is protected, then you win the bet.
-Any other combination results in a push.

If this sounds fair, then I'd love to make a wager.

I disagree the bolded.

Dillon has Seattle ties with 4 years spent with the Thunderbirds. He also is a big character guy in locker room and punches people in the face occasionally and gets angry pretty often.

Those elements are needed in Seattle for both, the team and the fans. On the other hand, there will be plenty of analytic sweethearts like Jensen avaivable.

He would be somewhat for Seattle what Engelland was for Vegas.

And even if he is a little overpayed, I like him here. I like how he reacts when his team mates are being toughed up. I like how he reacts overally for the flows of the game. Its hard to put that under the metrics, but it has effect on the team as a whole.

Its hard puzzle for me to decide who we protect behind JC. But thats another good problem to have. Propably means we can survive losing any of the guys, because we are still left with 6 solid dmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad