Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Eller listed as out for this one

Wonder whats going on there .. youd figure a soft tissue injury would be healed by now

Given he came back to practice (full contact), hopefully he tweaked something and they're reluctant to put him in unpredictable circumstances where it could worsen, before he's 100%. Much better to be down one of our centers now rather than three weeks before the playoffs.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Hall would be sick to stick with Eller on the 3rd line and torch other teams on matchups like in 2018

muh cursed muh not a winning player

Yeah like Phil Kessel before the Penguins
Or Gaborik before the 2014 deadline
Or Ovechkin before 2018
Or Oshie before 2018
Or Jay Bouwmeester for 20 years rofl

Don't care, off chance he flips the switch and channels his mvp season on a contender is worth it. Not winning the cup this year without an x factor given how other contenders stack up against us

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Hall would be sick to stick with Eller on the 3rd line and torch other teams on matchups like in 2018

Or Ovechkin before 2018
Or Oshie before 2018

Don't care, off chance he flips the switch and channels his mvp season on a contender is worth it. Not winning the cup this year without an x factor given how other contenders stack up against us
In before we see the “we have 5k in cap space and you want an 8m player” posts

edit — and which contenders stack up so well against us? Don’t really understand that last part. Unless you consider the NY Rangers as “contenders”

edit #2 — guess we could insist Buff pick up half the salary and we find 4m to trade away. Which unless it’s a player we like at 4m, will mean players like Panik/Hagelin/Jensen et al which will just make the pot to acquire this UFA to be EVEN THAT MUCH MORE pricey. So- 2 great prospects, 2 players, AND draft capital?

does that make any sense, at all?

very very very hard pass

Last edited:

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
In before we see the “we have 5k in cap space and you want an 8m player” posts

edit — and which contenders stack up so well against us? Don’t really understand that last part. Unless you consider the NY Rangers as “contenders”

4m after retention and Panik probably goes the other way, I'm sure they can make it work somehow

I don't like us against pretty much anyone who comes out of the other American divisions, not particularly thrilled about the Isles and Pittsburgh is a coin flip imo. Also not impossible for the rangers to body Boston out of the final spot.

Edit - sounds like teams aren't high on him so it could be a Gaborik scenario where just one good asset like a 1st gets it done. Maybe a B/C prospect on top but this team is gonna eat Detroit level ass for a few years after Ovechkin whether we need it or keep it

Last edited:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Or Ovechkin before 2018
Or Oshie before 2018

not sure how we would fit him in with the Cap. But I agree that people have gotta stop blaming individual players for their teams failures... unless the guy is a locker room cancer like Avery it’s just a ridiculous argument.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
not sure how we would fit him in with the Cap. But I agree that people have gotta stop blaming individual players for their teams failures... unless the guy is a locker room cancer like Avery it’s just a ridiculous argument.

Our most impactful tdl acquisition ever was a healthy scratch D from a garbage team fresh from overseas following 2 years of riding mister Game 7 to second round exits

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Taylor Hall has a grand total of 29 goals in his last 129 games. He’s not the MVP level player that showed up in NJ. Blame the team all you want, but he has 2! goals this year. He sought out and signed with Buffalo on a 1 year prove it contract and has completely shit the bed. I wouldn’t trade two roster players in order to have him on this team when the Caps are finally starting to gel nicely.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Taylor Hall has a grand total of 29 goals in his last 129 games. He’s not the MVP level player that showed up in NJ. Blame the team all you want, but he has 2! goals this year. He sought out and signed with Buffalo on a 1 year prove it contract and has completely shit the bed. I wouldn’t trade two roster players in order to have him on this team when the Caps are finally starting to gel nicely.

Not sure how you can take any player's stat line in Buffalo this year at anything near face value. That's like taking Ovechkins -35 from our shitty Oates team at face value, except the situation around Buffalo is 10x as toxic and dysfunctional.

Usually it's players having those kinds of seasons on those kinds of teams that have the most impact when given a second lease on life at the deadline. Gaborik 2014, Handzus 2013, our very own Fedorov 2008. Trevor Daley and Justin Schultz for the Pens, etc. All of them were considered trash or over the hill when acquired. Whereas pristine shiny acquisitions like Brassard, Shattenkirk Ryan Miller etc tend to flop

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I'd buy low on Hall in a heartbeat if we can make it work with our cap. It'd likely take full retention on Hall and then Panik going the other way, at least. Possibly another extra as well. I'd be fine with giving up our first or second plus a B prospect. EF was stating today that he doesn't feel Hall has a first round market right now, which means it's great for potential buyers.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Not sure how you can take any player's stat line in Buffalo this year at anything near face value. That's like taking Ovechkins -35 from our shitty Oates team at face value, except the situation around Buffalo is 10x as toxic and dysfunctional.

Usually it's players having those kinds of seasons on those kinds of teams that have the most impact when given a second lease on life at the deadline. Gaborik 2014, Handzus 2013, our very own Fedorov 2008. Trevor Daley and Justin Schultz for the Pens, etc. All of them were considered trash or over the hill when acquired. Whereas pristine shiny acquisitions like Brassard, Shattenkirk Ryan Miller etc tend to flop
That’s great and all and I understand Buffalo is a shit show, but he’s been pretty bad (for a star/elite player standards) for three seasons now.

He should be fully motivated to perform to sign and big ticket in the offseason and he has 2 freaking goals. That’s the same amount of goals as Nick Jensen. Hall chose Buffalo. He knew what he was getting into. I don’t think it’s practical to sell the farm and at least two roster players for salary cap reasons to acquire him.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
That’s great and all and I understand Buffalo is a shit show, but he’s been pretty bad (for a star/elite player standards) for three seasons now.

He should be fully motivated to perform to sign and big ticket in the offseason and he has 2 freaking goals. That’s the same amount of goals as Nick Jensen. Hall chose Buffalo. He knew what he was getting into. I don’t think it’s practical to sell the farm and at least two roster players for salary cap reasons to acquire him.

Hall has never struck me as a finisher, besides that one season in New Jersey. I'm surprised he couldn't find some success with Eichel or Reinhart.

I feel a team will be more desperate for a top line winger than we will be. He'd be yet another one dimensional Left winger, and we literally have four of those including Hagelin and Sprong. Not to mention Panik, who brings no dimensions.

If we are gonna get another winger I'd prefer a cheaper middle 6 guy with some defensive skills. I'm not sure what's out there though.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019

That's the same amount as Jack Eichel, maybe we can get Jack Eichel for Nick Jensen lol.

Hall is perfect for driving the puck up the ice and funnelling it to the net and any shooters going there (such as Eller), and physically pays the price more than most players. At worst he's a skilled torpedo that tires opposing players out. That's his game and that's a hard game to keep up on teams that are going nowhere. O"Reilly is the same way (not torpedo but game also totally based on paying the price) and he got super disillusioned on a much better Buffalo team

Reactions: um

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
https://thehockeywriters.com/buffalo-sabres-pegulas-ownership-problems/

Article on buffalo ownership I found from a year ago, afaik shit got even worse this year

I'd honestly have a bigger problem with any Buffalo player putting out full effort when their owners top priority is to "maintain their lifestyle" through their investments. We're pretty lucky with leonsis all things considered

I was reading about the Pegulas last week and having a good laugh. Kim Pegula is 18 years younger than Terry. They met in a restaurant - she was his waitress. That's true love right there, folks :laugh:

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I was reading about the Pegulas last week and having a good laugh. Kim Pegula is 18 years younger than Terry. They met in a restaurant - she was his waitress. That's true love right there, folks :laugh:

I'd do all the unspeakable things she did to him and then some just to run the Sabres for minimum wage. She has my dream job and she doesn't even care for it. Most of my offseason picks are killing it and hf would worship me as a big brained GM

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I'd do all the unspeakable things she did to him and then some just to run the Sabres for minimum wage. She has my dream job and she doesn't even care for it. Most of my offseason picks are killing it and hf would worship me as a big brained GM

From reading the article she's not really good at managing anything except her sugar daddy.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Hall is a good player. He just needs to stop putting pressure on himself to prove somebody wrong and play the game like they teached him when he was a kid. When he was drafted one of the things people were calling him was a winner. He was the leader of a Windsor team that won back-to-back championships in his last 2 junior seasons. He's just not the guy who could be that kinda leader in the NHL but he absolutely can be a complimentary top line forward on a playoff team. He's been very unlucky with the teams in his career, none of them were good neither before or after his appearance. He needs a good team. Period.

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
I was just thinking about Hall but not as a TDL acquisition but as UFA. Many people on this forum are would be worried about giving Vrana long term deal and if Hall continues playing below expectations he might be forced to sign a relatively low AAV deal this summer (at least way below what you might expect of 17/18 Hart winner.).. so what would you guys think about trading Vrana and signing Hall to 3-5 year deal giving him 2LW spot in the lineup?

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Line tool - Update, enjoy
Player with KuznetsovGF% withGF% Kuznetsov w/o PlayerGF% Player w/o KuznetsovRank
Ovechkin697152Good
Sheary507654Awful
Sprong836054Hart Trophy
Vrana776465Excellent
Oshie677155Good
Wilson677168Good
Player with BackstromGF% withGF% Backstrom w/o PlayerGF% Player w/o BackstromRank
Ovechkin587155Bad
Sheary506454Awful
Panik676340Good
Vrana715968Excellent
Oshie576755Bad
Wilson715557Excellent
Player with EllerGF% withGF% Eller w/o PlayerGF% Player w/o EllerRank
Ovechkin405059Awful
Sheary583650Excellent
Panik435643Awful
Oshie634054Excellent
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Conclusion: Oshie is so good. I hope Seattle scouts doesn't read this thread. I really hope they do not take his excellent contract from the draft. *Сough

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
5v5 Stats after the Covid 4 is back:

PlayerPositionGPTotal Points/60IPP
Daniel SprongR113.6653.85
Jakub VranaL202.6371.43
Lars EllerC142.1975.00
Nick JensenD202.1576.92
John CarlsonD202.0960.00
Evgeny KuznetsovC182.0760.00
Alex OvechkinL201.9862.50