Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

koalabear9301

Cero Miedo
May 9, 2016
Baltimore
Hall's been more unlucky if anything.

Gets drafted to Edmonton which was a dumpster fire, traded to the Devils where he carries them to a playoff berth before getting injured the next season, and then traded to a mediocre Yotes team immediately before Kuemper gets hurt (where they still managed to make the playoffs and just ran into MacKinnon playing out of his mind).

The one time where he actually has any control of his career comes during a pandemic where financially his options are very limited. He decides to go to a team that offers him the most money, a chance to play with an elite talent in Eichel that can help boost his value in FA next year, and play with a coach he's familiar with (which is understandable since he's played with like 8 coaches in 9 years by that point). And then literally anything that can possibly goes wrong goes very, very wrong.

I don't exactly see where his "laziness" causes any of that. Adding him really is more about putting us over the top than it is about filling a need so I don't see us doing it, but I wouldn't mind it at all. Especially with how low his value might end up being.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

Gets drafted to Edmonton which was a dumpster fire, traded to the Devils where he carries them to a playoff berth before getting injured the next season, and then traded to a mediocre Yotes team immediately before Kuemper gets hurt (where they still managed to make the playoffs and just ran into MacKinnon playing out of his mind).

The one time where he actually has any control of his career comes during a pandemic where financially his options are very limited. He decides to go to a team that offers him the most money, a chance to play with an elite talent in Eichel that can help boost his value in FA next year, and play with a coach he's familiar with (which is understandable since he's played with like 8 coaches in 9 years by that point). And then literally anything that can possibly goes wrong goes very, very wrong.

I don't exactly see where his "laziness" causes any of that. Adding him really is more about putting us over the top than it is about filling a need so I don't see us doing it, but I wouldn't mind it at all. Especially with how low his value might end up being.
Are you his agent? LOL

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Spoiler alert, Kuzy was playing well the whole time, and continues to do so. People just see few points in the box cars and assume he's not trying, while scoffing at those who told you (correctly) the points would come sooner or later.
Id not jump to these conclusions yet. His points lately are just regular season points. We need to see his impact in playoffs and not in one or two games.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ppl are getting impatient this year. We dump goalies early, then top4 defenders, then talented forwards.

All we need is to wait some more. Plenty of knowledgeable posters here who know the concept of sample size but this year is tough mentally i guess.

PS: we can agree trading Panik looks like right move strategically lol

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Ppl are getting impatient this year. We dump goalies early, then top4 defenders, then talented forwards.

All we need is to wait some more. Plenty of knowledgeable posters here who know the concept of sample size but this year is tough mentally i guess.

PS: we can agree trading Panik looks like right move strategically lol
I don’t even know if we need to wait anymore. I think they have grabbed Lavi’s system at this point, are fairly healthy, have two goalies playing well, and are rolling lines. I would argue we have been the best team in the league this last month. I hope they play like this come playoffs.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Are you his agent? LOL
You don't have to be Hall's agent to dismiss a pretty stupid statement about Hall's "laziness". The teams he's played on his entire career were pathetic all around, he can't just get out there and win games singlehandedly. It's not basketball. This year he plays easily for the worst team in his career that literally breaks records for amount of losses anybody ever got successively. The moment we see him play on a good team and fail that bad this argument about him being "a loser" will have some basis. Until then it's just fans and media's cliche that really doesn't worth a dime.

Last edited:
Reactions: koalabear9301

Jun 15, 2007
If Friedman is correct and no team will give up a 1st for Hall, I wouldn't mind a first + taking Panik for Hall 50% retained . Though I'm not sure that works capwise.

As I understand we are not accruing any cap space at all since we are over the cap using LTIR. So any trade deadline deal has to be dollars in = dollars out.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If Friedman is correct and no team will give up a 1st for Hall, I wouldn't mind a first + taking Panik for Hall 50% retained . Though I'm not sure that works capwise.

As I understand we are not accruing any cap space at all since we are over the cap using LTIR. So any trade deadline deal has to be dollars in = dollars out.
Right. My guess is they target a right shot winger instead but we'll see. Sprong has a little more time to gain trust and make his case. Rakell seems like the best fit, both in terms of style and value with salary retained and another season under contract. Palmieri is the main alternative but I'm not sure he's better and he's only a rental. Gusev could be pretty interesting but I doubt they opt for him.

Expansion protection and cap/contract uncertainty may complicate things to where they only shop for a rental. Maybe something smaller like Bobby Ryan for Panik and a second is all they do. But it might be the perfect storm to go for it. Problem is I'm not sure those players, good as they are, are quite final piece additions. Then again, Kempny wasn't either so it's more about fit. One more piece up front added in a rental and Panik subtracted alleviates some near-term cap pressure and should provide lineup flexibility and depth for a serious run.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Right. My guess is they target a right shot winger instead but we'll see. Sprong has a little more time to gain trust and make his case. Rakell seems like the best fit, both in terms of style and value with salary retained and another season under contract. Palmieri is the main alternative but I'm not sure he's better and he's only a rental. Gusev could be pretty interesting but I doubt they opt for him.

Expansion protection and cap/contract uncertainty may complicate things to where they only shop for a rental. Maybe something smaller like Bobby Ryan for Panik and a second is all they do. But it might be the perfect storm to go for it. Problem is I'm not sure those players, good as they are, are quite final piece additions. Then again, Kempny wasn't either so it's more about fit. One more piece up front added in a rental and Panik subtracted alleviates some near-term cap pressure and should provide lineup flexibility and depth for a serious run.
I think they actually need more lefties since the only winger of a top-6-top-9 capacity (and very inconsistent at that) they got with a left handedness is Vrana. But Rakell option is very tempting. Would easily give up a 1st for him.

crab

Jan 26, 2019

Rakell would make a lot of sense if they could acquire him with Panik going the other way. It’s likely going to cost a 1st + another decent asset though.

As long as Ovechkin signs after the fact they could protect all the forwards (Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie, Eller, Vrana, Rakell, Wilson). Now fitting everyone under the cap would be a challenge unless Schultz or Dillon are selected.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Evgeny Kuznetsov has breakout game after ‘honest conversation’ with Peter Laviolette: ‘I’m starting to understand what the coach wants’

I'm sure this was posted already but for some reason it's being ignored by the stat-blind few who think the player, coach, and others have no concept of reality.

Kuzy said he was not in game shape for a long while due to COVID. He said he didn't know what coach wanted. They talked. Coach told him more attack, more drive, more possession, and to show the kind of game that matches the situations Kuzy wants to be in (protecting leads, crunch time, etc). Before that it was not there.

Let me repeat that....Kuzy was not playing well and by his OWN ADMISSION not in game shape and the coach responded by demoting him until he showed the necessary improvement. As that ramped up then Lavi trusted him more.

It's just absolute nonsense to claim he was playing at an elite level but not scoring simply due to bad luck (more than anyone else in the league). There were clearly issues and both he and the coach have said so. As they worked it out, his performance improved and so did his production.

Jesus.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Evgeny Kuznetsov has breakout game after ‘honest conversation’ with Peter Laviolette: ‘I’m starting to understand what the coach wants’

I'm sure this was posted already but for some reason it's being ignored by the stat-blind few who think the player, coach, and others have no concept of reality.

Kuzy said he was not in game shape for a long while due to COVID. He said he didn't know what coach wanted. They talked. Coach told him more attack, more drive, more possession, and to show the kind of game that matches the situations Kuzy wants to be in (protecting leads, crunch time, etc). Before that it was not there.

Let me repeat that....Kuzy was not playing well and by his OWN ADMISSION not in game shape and the coach responded by demoting him until he showed the necessary improvement. As that ramped up then Lavi trusted him more.

It's just absolute nonsense to claim he was playing at an elite level but not scoring simply due to bad luck (more than anyone else in the league). There were clearly issues and both he and the coach have said so. As they worked it out, his performance improved and so did his production.

Jesus.

To be fair when hes not up to top Kuz level hes still really good at hockey

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Jesus.

Kuzy isnt reading is own stats?

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

This! He didn't have the luxury like Seguin going to Boston and then playing in Dallas. Before some injuries, Hall was a dynamic offensive player and I would take him on the Caps if the price is right. I really enjoyed watching him play as an Oiler except when the Caps played them.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
We all knew from the beginning that Lavi's biggest job signing here was unlocking Kuznetsov. If Kuzy is the one going to Lavi asking how he can be better for the team and for himself... then good on both of them. Really damn good.

Reactions: g00n

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
“I was playing well but the coach benched me anyways. Then I kept playing well and then the coach didn’t bench me.”

Media relations 101: don’t tell the truth, just say something generic so controversy is avoided.

Reactions: Hivemind

Eirikrautha

“I was playing well but the coach benched me anyways. Then I kept playing well and then the coach didn’t bench me.”

Media relations 101: don’t tell the truth, just say something generic so controversy is avoided.
For someone so interested in "objective" data, you are completely blind to actual data. As in, what the player actually says...

Reactions: Calicaps and g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Reaching.

Easiest course was to blame lingering covid or injury, not for coach and player to both tell the same basic tale about a player finding out his coach wants him to not play like shit.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010

I'll add in some quotes from the Sam Pell article as it goes into a little more detail. It's a pretty interesting read if you have access to the Wapo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/03/26/evgeny-kuznetsov-improved-play-washington-capitals/

He said his uptick in play has in part been because of his better understanding of Laviolette’s system and getting back into shape after dealing with coronavirus symptoms earlier in the year.

Being on the ice consistently and getting back into a routine have helped his game.

“I need to skate a lot,” he said. “Since I was a kid, I love to be on the ice for a long time. Those long practices that Coach having right now, it’s actually helped me a lot. I like to be on the ice, and that’s my life out there.”

“Coach trust me more right now, and he give me some opportunities that I’ve been asking for and he give me chances,” Kuznetsov said. “So far I hope that I do everything he wants. … If you’re going to play better every day, Coach will give you more time for sure, and I thank [him] for that.”

“Recently for me what I notice is his skating,” Laviolette said. “He’s attacking the game; he has a high skill level. So for me, it’s about the speed and the skating that pushes things where he becomes hard to play against, he becomes hard to defend.”

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I want to sneak this part in too:

“[Orlov’s] game for me has turned from the start of the year to now where he has been playing his best hockey,” assistant coach Kevin McCarthy said. “More like the Orlov like we all knew and saw, and I think he is getting better and better.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad