Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (upd: deal finalized, site has been shut down)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The fact that teams and agents use it is laughable. What did they do before cap geek?

People just got lazy and use to something that did their jobs for them.

That and there all alternatives so no biggy

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
So what happens when the next one comes along? Are the Caps gonna buy that one too. None of this makes sense.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Good UI isnt proprietary... go make your own.

Right, so now you have to hire someone to build UI for you, and there's a chance that it won't be good. You have to build something that your 67 year old GM will feel comfortable navigating, and that is going to fail sometimes.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is the strangeness of it to me. Is this gamesmanship, just to keep this away from other teams? If other teams use this, wouldn't they just use a different site? If those sites don't have full functionality wouldn't they push for it now?

I wonder if they just want the people involved and will use them to do other things like custom stat recording.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It’s a shame for the fans but I get why they bought it because it’s a great site. This isn’t a 6 month job for a one man band to replace it either, not to this standard.

Simply designing the data structures would take a lot of time. Then there is the GUI, tools and reports plus uploading the data current and historical. Simply testing it properly would be weeks of work.

Thats why the Caps bought it rather than build their own.

I expect any replacement will start much more basic and evolve over time.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Apparently, there were a number of teams looking to buy them, and the Caps won.

So... I guess this isn't the Caps being 'assholes', it's the Caps 'willing to pay more than others' which shows that this isn't some scheme to shitter and shutter everyone else, this was a sought after product.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
The fact that teams and agents use it is laughable. What did they do before cap geek?

People just got lazy and use to something that did their jobs for them.

That and there all alternatives so no biggy
I would not say lazy just became useful tool. It's one of many sites could use to determine what's going on with team(s). If cap friendly starts charging every month or yearly subscription I probably might not use the service anymore. Just based on their will be other sites could use to figure out salary cap, prospects, and draft picks. If I had to pay $10-$20 a year eventually would not mind if their was something else offered just don't see it as big deal. The problem lies with the name of cap friendly maybe that's why they want to purchase it.

Last edited:

Forgetful

Oct 29, 2020
Wonder if there's a non compete clause in the sale contract, be funny if there wasn't and they use the contacts they have just to start a new site in a few months

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
CapFriendly was highly-regarded among NHL fans, media and even front office members. The site boasted data on player contracts including salaries, terms, cap hits and more. The site's owner, Dominik Zrim, had previously worked for two NHL front offices; the San Jose Sharks and Chicago Blackhawks.
so I bet the capitals said hey heres a job and bring your site with you

1717978055215.png

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
lol c'mon man, I always enjoyed watching the caps but even caps fans should be able to admit this makes the organization look bad.

Capfriendly was a useful tool not only to league executives like GMs but it gave fans something to do and helped with understanding the salary cap structure of their team in more ways than one.

A replacement site will likely take a few months to get up and running in that time we wont have the resource and will need to rely on less quality websites.

Good thing next season is 4 months away and there are some existing websites providing similar information. All it takes is just for one of them to step up their game and fill the void.

I liked CapFriendly too, but I never spent a penny to use their platform, so I can’t complain when free stuff gets taken away.

Reactions: AslanRH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad