Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (upd: deal finalized, site has been shut down)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
As a die hard Caps fan I hate this myself! You all lashing out at the Caps Team need to look up the history of their owner Ted Leonsis(his was tied to AOL before becoming a pro sports owner)! Hate him and not the team!

I officially hate him and I'll hate the team until he's gone and probably after.

Y'all leap frog'd Calgary and Vegas. Congrats.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Here's another option that you can take a look at and see if you find it user friendly

Oh hey would you look at that. An open-source implementation of much of the basic infrastructure. Guess I don't have to succumb to temptation after all.

Heck, if I had so succumbed, I'd likely have done the backend in Flask myself and that's what's that is using. Maybe I should look into contributing...

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
People thought the sky was falling when CapGeek was no longer a tool, look what we got from that? Another one will be here shortly

These billionaires don’t care about fans using a free service, these billionaires care about making their investments better.

I mean tbh only recently did Capfriendly reach what capgeek used to be.

This truly is a tragedy for the fans of the game. Years of usability gone for the sake of greed.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I don’t see that date possible for a new site and all the data, you would need a team of people.
It would take maybe a few hours to scrape Cap Friendly of all it's data. And that's like one person going at it with one tool.

From there, maybe another few days to make a functional framework of a site, find a host, and put it up.

The ongoing data is more complex depending on how it's sourced and, more importantly, verified.

Reactions: Viqsi

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I'm surprised the Golden Knights didn't beat the Capitals to the punch after the news of LTIR playoff cap rules possibly being changed.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It would take maybe a few hours to scrape Cap Friendly of all it's data. And that's like one person going at it with one tool.

From there, maybe another few days to make a functional framework of a site, find a host, and put it up.

The ongoing data is more complex depending on how it's sourced and, more importantly, verified.
This. The ongoing data sourcing and verification is the actually valuable bit, and with the Caps purchasing it that's basically going to die.

Reactions: rsteen

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
And, you have to factor in, the CapFriendly team could have been willing to let go of it at this point and that's why the Capitals moved in.

What would you have done if they just came out and said "On this day, we're closing it. So long and thanks for all the fish"?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
True, just I don’t know if that’s allowed from their site, without ending up in court down the line. Since they were already charging teams to use their tools/API

Agree

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's kind of mind-boggling to me that a big company like Sportsnet doesn't jump all over the vacancy.

They could easily hire people to run it, it would be easy for them to be trusted by agents/etc. for verification and they'd bring a buttload of traffic to their site.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
True, just I don’t know if that’s allowed from their site, without ending up in court down the line. Since they were already charging teams to use their tools/API

Agree
When you mess around in website archiving and scraping, legality isn't an issue.

When we downloaded all of Geocities and DeviantArt, we got hit with so many CaDs we didn't even track them anymore.

And yes, you can download all of Geocities. It's only 630GB.

Evergreen

This is just a big f*** you from Leonsis to the fans. He’s probably bitter the public torpedoed his plan to make them pay for his new arena in Virginia.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
This is just a big f*** you from Leonsis to the fans. He’s probably bitter the public torpedoed his plan to make them pay for his new arena in Virginia.
That's some conflation that is pretty pointless.

Buy CapFriendly in revenge for a civic issue. Likely less than 40% of your average hockey fan has even even been to CapFriendly once in their life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad