Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (upd: deal finalized, site has been shut down)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Other teams have done this in the past and the sites tend to come down quickly..Leafs bought out ExtraSkater the Wild WarOnIce, ect
were those like capfriendly? if so f*** the Leafs too. all this does is hurt the fans. I know there will be a replacement but I dunno if it will ever have some of the tools that capfriendly had.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I'd much prefer if it was HRef. EP has become a mess of ads and subscriptions that completely turns me off from using them unless I have to. Most likely EP would lock it behind a monthly subscription.
As terrible as it is, that's almost why I think elite would be in a better place to do it.
It's going to take a bit of start up, and they've got membership and premiums accounts already baked in.

I hate the amount of stuff that has gone behind paywall, but they might be able to run a basic "CapFriendly" alternative by having a paywalled premium version to supplement.

I think HRef would do a better, tidier, and more altruistic version (plus elite already has enough on their plate covering the stats of every hockey league under the sun, not just the NHL), but I wonder if they'd even be willing to start a big project like that up.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I'd much prefer if it was HRef. EP has become a mess of ads and subscriptions that completely turns me off from using them unless I have to. Most likely EP would lock it behind a monthly subscription.
oh they 100% would. I bought the 2024 draft guide and I had to sub for the month. and guess what.... all sudden now its loading a little faster too.

Reactions: Daximus

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
As a die hard Caps fan I hate this myself! You all lashing out at the Caps Team need to look up the history of their owner Ted Leonsis(his was tied to AOL before becoming a pro sports owner)! Hate him and not the team!

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
So random but now I guess we can all hate the Capitals

(Wonder if it was related to the Cap name at all)

Reactions: iCanada

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
[mod] It’s just a website, someone else will come in and fill that gap quickly.
maybe just a website to you. capfriendly benefits alot including fantasy leagues u likely have no clue even exist
sorry but your team did a pretty shady thing. far from fake outrage.

feel bad for the fans but f*** the caps. never had a reason to dislike the caps but this made them my least fav team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

Well done Caps. You've just become the villain to 31 other fanbases.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I love the fake outrage here. It’s just a website, someone else will come in and fill that gap quickly.

As stated before there is more to it than just building a website. They had access to information that most don't. Even if you manage to get a clone off the ground you aren't getting very far once they go dark without the access they had.

oh they 100% would. I bought the 2024 draft guide and I had to sub for the month. and guess what.... all sudden now its loading a little faster too.

Yeah without a sub the ads make that site slow to a crawl. I have great internet and a modern high end PC and often times their site just freezes up my entire computer. It never used to be like that before every page was inundated with ads.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I love the fake outrage here. It’s just a website, someone else will come in and fill that gap quickly.
Some great overreactions and hot takes in this thread over an organization buying up assets.

This is how business works, small company gets successful and either holds out or gets bought out by a bigger company.

Kudos to the capitals organization for either bettering themselves or finding new ways to improve revenue flows

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
lol c'mon man, I always enjoyed watching the caps but even caps fans should be able to admit this makes the organization look bad.

Capfriendly was a useful tool not only to league executives like GMs but it gave fans something to do and helped with understanding the salary cap structure of their team in more ways than one.

A replacement site will likely take a few months to get up and running in that time we wont have the resource and will need to rely on less quality websites.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Or... hear me out... Teams could just hire people to do this for themselves.

Sounds exciting. But software development isn't really sport teams core biz and they don't have their own sw dev team. Thus they have to rely on buying existing software or let some sw consulting company do it on their behalf.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
maybe just a website to you. capfriendly benefits alot including fantasy leagues u likely have no clue even exist
sorry but your team did a pretty shady thing. far from fake outrage.

feel bad for the fans but f*** the caps. never had a reason to dislike the caps but this made them my least fav team.

I’ve used almost every single tool on that website. Doesn’t matter who purchased it, they received an offer they liked and sold it.

We’re acting like a website is irreplaceable. Guess what? Somebody will make a copycat version, and someone will iterate over it and improve the tools.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Difference between puckpedia and capfriendly is interactivity between fans and interface. Also no more armchair GM.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I’ve used almost every single tool on that website. Doesn’t matter who purchased it, they received an offer they liked and sold it.

We’re acting like a website is irreplaceable. Guess what? Somebody will make a copycat version, and someone will iterate over it and improve the tools.
or HF boards can do this....right mods?

• Love
Reactions: uncleben

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

We should google a list of recent buyouts and boycott every company that bought out another company.

Facebook? Stop using it
Google? Stop using it
Utah bought Arizona, let’s never watch them.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad