Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (upd: deal finalized, site has been shut down)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
I know they go far beyond and do much more then just showing salary cap numbers, but most contract information gets leaked on X/Twitter at the same time and recycled by every member of the media...so at that point your just verifying/updating the data field for the player with the correct number.

I know this is not all that the site does.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Everyone hating on the Caps should realize the Capfriendly guys are just as if not more culpable.
I'm sure their enterprise was viable as it was and they did not NEED to sell. But they took the payday. Many such cases.

Yeah - this is a thought that crossed through my mind as well.

I'm sure the CF guys are making pretty good money as it is without the sale. They average like 6 million independent IP address connections per month in traffic.

They were likely no where near rich - but all things considered also likely were well past financially independent and had been for years.

That said - I still do tend to blame the bigger guy.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
G-d, I wish I had the spare time available and wasn't already developing a webapp as part of my day job. The temptation to start an open source version of the infrastructure just to spite these pigf***ers is rapidly growing.

You know this site is pretty beloved by not just fans but the industry when they are using CF on broadcasts and podcasts. I've seen it everywhere,

Those with the know how can definitely create a clone of a lot of the features, the hard part will be having the connections to keep the contract info up to date and accurate. Still a tonne of that information that isn't published officially that those behind the scenes at CF somehow had access to.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Those with the know how can definitely create a clone of a lot of the features, the hard part will be having the connections to keep the contract info up to date and accurate. Still a tonne of that information that isn't published officially that those behind the scenes at CF somehow had access to.

Out of curiosity....what exactly?

Reactions: iCanada

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

No movement clauses, when they kicked in, how many teams they affected, if they were no trades or just no moves, etc.

Lots of small little details that we as fans only ever heard about from cap friendly. It's the kind of stuff capfriendly knew about because it was run by guess who had connections with agents, GM's, the league itself, and because they had vowed to be neutral.

For example;
Screenshot_20240609-143642.png

You'd basically need a copy of Hyman's contract to have this information.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Sellouts are worse than opportunists. If they weren't willing to sell, this wouldn't have happened.
just be nice if it was the NHL to make a purchase like this since so many of their fans love it. this does nothing but hurt hockey. there's no benefit to this.
really really hurts the fantasy aspect of it for those that use salary cap and mimic the NHL.

Reactions: Voight

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

They had access to a lot of the NMC, NTC and bonus stuff that isn't always officially published. Things have gotten better for sure over the years but a lot of that information isn't always publicly available.

Sure a lot of it is leaked out on various sources but they also usually had it first and usually beat anyone else who could put that information out to the punch. Plus a lot of that stuff is kind of all over the place and they had it all compiled in an easily accessible and free website.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
How did u come up with this anyways? no they pay and buy the people who currently own it. Im assuming the guys that run it and coming along for the ride with the Caps.
but the NHL should be the one buying this and keeping it the way it is for the fans
Bettman is too blinded by his ego to embrace modern technologies that actually improve the sport for fans

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Obstructing other teams from using the site is a competitive advantage.
The public version though? I don't really see how it makes that much difference. I get maybe the data feed or whatever, but maybe even just keep a dumbed down version of the website.

Reactions: uncleben

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
whatever replacement that is bootstrapped would likely need to start small then partner or pay an insider or scout like products do influencers on social media. Likely just compile the basic data at first, create useable features that aren't properietary to another cap website, and increase traffic then use revenue to pay the insider(s) and expand out the other features.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I can't tell if people are memeing or serious with all the outrage.

Then again, I've checked the website out maybe a handful of times since it became the new tool to use.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The public version though? I don't really see how it makes that much difference. I get maybe the data feed or whatever, but maybe even just keep a dumbed down version of the website.

The Capitals aren't in the business of helping other teams so it's kinda straight-forward thing to take it down from the Interwebz. I'd reckon that every team out there would prefer not have any of these armchairGM-websites in existance because it helps them in contract negotiations when the player agents do not have comparable contracts so easily available to them.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I can't tell if people are memeing or serious with all the outrage.

Then again, I've checked the website out maybe a handful of times since it became the new tool to use.

All the broadcasters, insiders and podcasters all use it. So if you have any kind of fandom outside of posting on HFboards. Everyone of those places just lost a valuable discussion tool.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad