Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (upd: deal finalized, site has been shut down)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So when the eventual Capfriendly replacement comes. And every team has access to the same tools again. The Caps will feel like dumbasses for trying to privatize publicly available information. I guess in that sense, the Caps WILL f*** themselves anyways. No need to ask them to. But I’ll do it anyways, go f*** yourself Caps.

Reactions: Laus723

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Nah, it's just an unnecessary purchase that benefits no one and inconveniences millions of fans.

Not vile ....just annoying. I bet they even pissed off some of their own fans too, with this move.
As stated, it benefits the people involved in the transaction. The owners because, $$$. The Caps because they get to make all the info the website go dark to other people/teams thus making them the sole beneficiaries (so strategic advantage)

Not to say that this is awful for us as fans. I hate capitalism sometimes (no pun intended).

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
RIP alongside with capgeek and nhlnumbers

NHL numbers.

Damn.

obi-wan-star-wars.gif

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Not sure what owning it and taking it offline does instead of just.. using it for free or paying a Sr dev to make you a custom UI that pulls from it's API.

Like I straight up don't understand the value of buying the site and then shutting it down to everyone when they could use it for free.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Im a web dev, offering to chip in

Problem isn't so much the development side - with all due respect the code behind capfriendly is pretty rudimentary.

Problem is the relationships with NHL agents, NHL GM's, and the NHL Central registry that capfriendly had managed to curate that allowed them to be first and foremost in getting information as a neutral first party to stay up to date and accurate.

Without that the value of the tool is greatly diminished.

And that's a much harder nut to crack.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So when the eventual Capfriendly replacement comes. And every team has access to the same tools again. The Caps will feel like dumbasses for trying to privatize publicly available information. I guess in that sense, the Caps WILL f*** themselves anyways. No need to ask them to. But I’ll do it anyways, go f*** yourself Caps.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Its blatently obvious that the key is the data entry. Someone needs to manually update the data.

Once launched new site should sell an api and create plugins that can be purchased with a one time purchase fee and a reoccuring monthly payment.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Not sure what owning it and taking it offline does instead of just.. using it for free or paying a Sr dev to make you a custom UI that pulls from it's API.

Like I straight up don't understand the value of buying the site and then shutting it down to everyone when they could use it for free.
Another thought is they 'bought' the guys running it

Reactions: Factorial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad