Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (upd: deal finalized, site has been shut down)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Is "Capfriendly" going to be a website devoted to Caps players doing off ice stuff around the city now, or what?

What an unpopular and pointless move.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Does this even give the Caps a competitive edge? I assume every other team can hire someone to scrape the data and organize it, if they haven’t already.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
[citation needed]

Several NHL clubs were interested in buying CapFriendly, the source said, and another source familiar with talks the site’s owners held with other clubs.

While clubs have specific employees dedicated to internally track their and others’ cap situations, CapFriendly’s information was generally viewed as the industry standard in terms of up-to-date information.

Reactions: Hivemind and Viqsi

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think it is actually kind of funny. Fair play to the Caps. Just found a competitive advantage in a way.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I still don't really get the point for the Caps. Part of the value of CapFriendly was the info, but you'd think that info was only provided to the site because it was neutral. Why would their sources provide the info to just the Caps?

And if they're just buying the website code, current data...that's stupid.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
The dark ages are upon us.

There’s only two options left, the hard formatted Puckpedia or the take forever to update their information Sportrac.

He need a code writer in the style of Capfriendly and we need them now.
:scared:

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
I think it is actually kind of funny. Fair play to the Caps. Just found a competitive advantage in a way.

I doubt it, I am 100% sure most if not every other team but the Caps have a similar piece of software that keeps track of caphits/contracts/everything for every player/team in the league.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
How else am I going to be able to show much smarter I am than all the GM's with just a half dozen lopsided trades and unrealistic free agent contracts?

Reactions: um

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Pretty sure we all freaked out over this same thing a few years ago and then a new site turned up that gave us perfectly decent salary cap and contract info.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
FSG descends from the rafters, clocks Fat Sweaty Teddy with a belt shot to the head, tear up the contract, put him in the camel clutch and save the day.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
No more easily looking up information on CF, it’s back to the old days of doing research before posting.

July and August is going to be interesting.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Look, man, the Caps have been doing irrelevance literally twice as long as the Canes.
I dunno about that my good dude. The Canes were the Whalers before they were the Canes. The Whalers leaving Hartford broke my heart as a kid and I loved that team more than life itself but damn if they didn’t suck almost their entire existence.

• Wow
Reactions: tarheelhockey

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
**** CapFriendly too. Happy?

The site was used by a lot of people. Fans. Agents. Teams. Players. The NHL has already shown obliviousness to its fans in many ways. A team shutting down a resource is just another instance of the general population being **** on by lazy, corporate greed.

You don't need to blindly defend your team over everything.

Plot twist, just because your team bought the website doesn't mean you won't be locked out of it like everyone else.

Says the Caps fan..

F*** the Caps.

These comments sound like a lot of sour grapes and entitlement to me. You don't own CapFriendly and they have no responsibility to make you happy. The people that put the development work in deserve to reap the benefits. You are owed nothing.

As far as being a Caps fan, yeah I'm fine with them doing this if they think it will give the organization a competitive advantage. There are no rules against teams acquiring assets that help them manage the team more efficiently and effectively. Maybe you're just upset that your team didn't think of it first.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
These comments sound like a lot of sour grapes and entitlement to me.

As far as being a Caps fan, yeah I'm fine with them doing this if they think it will give the organization a competitive advantage. There are no rules against teams acquiring assets that help them manage the team more efficiently and effectively. Maybe you're just upset that your team didn't think of it first.
I'd be upset no matter who did it. It was a fun tool and resource, end of story.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
These comments sound like a lot of sour grapes and entitlement to me.

I'm sure most competent teams have the contents of Capfriendly in some kind of format already and don't need to buy it off the internet for purposes of "competitive advantage." .

This is just annoying for fans like if Hockeydb went private.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm a finance guy in the real world but never got the appeal of understanding the cap. Feels like work instead of the fun that hockey should be. I do quite a bit of fun analysis but cap stuff is just dry and boring. I had an analysis a few years ago I wanted to do using salaries which I probably would have used the site for but then forgot the idea behind it and never did it, lol.

Reactions: Fledgemyhedge

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You can tell which of the posters in this thread weren't around for NHLNumbers, CapGeek, GeneralFanager, and the slew of other fan-run resources that have come and go over the years (many because their founders got hired by NHL teams).

Reactions: Seanaconda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad