Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (upd: deal finalized, site has been shut down)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm a finance guy in the real world but never got the appeal of understanding the cap. Feels like work instead of the fun that hockey should be. I do quite a bit of fun analysis but cap stuff is just dry and boring. I had an analysis a few years ago I wanted to do using salaries which I probably would have used the site for but then forgot the idea behind it and never did it, lol.

I think cap conservation and management has become its own mini sport within the sport and probably drives to alienate and antagonize players from fans and hurts the marketability and relatability of players. But that's an entirely different topic.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
These comments sound like a lot of sour grapes and entitlement to me. You don't own CapFriendly and they have no responsibility to make you happy. The people that put the development work in deserve to reap the benefits. You are owed nothing.

As far as being a Caps fan, yeah I'm fine with them doing this if they think it will give the organization a competitive advantage. There are no rules against teams acquiring assets that help them manage the team more efficiently and effectively. Maybe you're just upset that your team didn't think of it first.

Capfriendly owes me nothing, sure.

Me and others also have the right to speak my mind about how a certain organization making my experience worse is bad for the sport and the league. We also can point out - again - that it is doubtful that acquiring capfriendly actually provides any competitive advantage.

The only real thing of value that Capfriendly provides is convenient access to the NHL registry - all else is public data and relatively rudimentary programming.

Seeing how all NHL teams have access to the NHL registry as a baseline... I don't really see how this is a huge advantage. I bet half of hfboards has functional programming skills or at the very least excel skills good enough to develop a functional version of Capfriendly. Certainly all NHL teams have access to labor talent that could really provide this level of tool.

Then note that the site is going dark on July 5th - the caps aren't even gaining a Free agency, draft, or trade deadline advantage over teams that theoretically don't already have these tools in place... Because like I said getting one of them developed is certainly possible within a few months.

Best case scenario the caps wanted to hire the owner of the site - but then they didn't need to shut the site down, they could have just made him transfer ownership and signed an airtight contract.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I doubt it, I am 100% sure most if not every other team but the Caps have a similar piece of software that keeps track of caphits/contracts/everything for every player/team in the league.
I can 100% guarantee you that a bunch of teams were using CapFriendly prior to this, including multiple teams that were reported to have access to the CapFriendly API who just had their contracts ended and the two previous teams (Blackhawks, Sharks) that had both hired CapFriendly's founder as a consultant and/or Director of Salary Cap Administration.

The presumption that a lot of fans have as NHL front offices being well-oiled machines with the cutting edge of hockey analysis and tracking is pretty darn off-base. You'd be lucky to find stuff more advanced that Microsoft Excel in most of these front offices. Video replay coaches are using broadcast footage. Scouts and GMs are pouring over the same publicly available resources that fans are in many cases.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Capfriendly owes me nothing, sure.

Me and others also have the right to speak my mind about how a certain organization making my experience worse is bad for the sport and the league. We also can point out - again - that it is doubtful that acquiring capfriendly actually provides any competitive advantage.

The only real thing of value that Capfriendly provides is convenient access to the NHL registry - all else is public data and relatively rudimentary programming.

Seeing how all NHL teams have access to the NHL registry as a baseline... I don't really see how this is a huge advantage. I bet half of hfboards has functional programming skills or at the very least excel skills good enough to develop a functional version of Capfriendly. Certainly all NHL teams have access to labor talent that could really provide this level of tool.

Then note that the site is going dark on July 5th - the caps aren't even gaining a Free agency, draft, or trade deadline advantage over teams that theoretically don't already have these tools in place... Because like I said getting one of them developed is certainly possible within a few months.

Best case scenario the caps wanted to hire the owner of the site - but then they didn't need to shut the site down, they could have just made him transfer ownership and signed an airtight contract.
I think you’re underestimating the boomer crowd on hfboards

• Haha
Reactions: iCanada

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
These comments sound like a lot of sour grapes and entitlement to me. You don't own CapFriendly and they have no responsibility to make you happy. The people that put the development work in deserve to reap the benefits. You are owed nothing.
The definition of bad faith.

"Why aren't you mad at CapFriendly?"
"Fine, **** CapFriendly."
"You are so entitled for thinking CapFriendly owes you anything."

Keep thinking your team's **** smells like roses.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I bet the teams who were smart enough to just have unpaid interns pull the latest Capfriendly data for them are also not too thrilled. Why get something for free when you can pay for it?

Reactions: King'sPawn

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I'd be interested in knowing the Capitals motivation in this. I mean surely, the other 31 teams already have salary cap information on everyone else since they're all, y'know, professionally run sports organizations.

The only thing that this is going to accomplish from what I can tell is just make the average fan's experience worse.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Puckpedia doesn’t have a reserve list like CF’s.

PPedia’s reserve list is mixed in with the minor leaguers but it also has players on their who’s rights aren’t even with the team anymore.

Pedia has some updating to do.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Just opens a spot for someone else to make a cap site and then get a dream nhl job when a team updates its scouting
Was just about to post this. Feels like an opportunity for someone, and I know there are people on here w the skills and know how to do it. Mb just set up a site called capnerd next and wait for an eventual buyout lol

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Jerk move by Caps for all of us fans, but they're also also being jerks to other NHL teams. I can't blame the Capfriendly creators, they were offered a bunch of money by Caps to shut it down and work exclusively for Caps. But I think it's childish because someone else now will create a similar site in hoping they will get bought out by an NHL team. They cycle will continue.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Enjoy the site but this won't move the needle for most NHL fans.

Why would Caps purchase a site to shut it down when it could be easily replicated?

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Jerk move by Caps for all of us fans, but they're also also being jerks to other NHL teams. I can't blame the Capfriendly creators, they were offered a bunch of money by Caps to shut it down and work exclusively for Caps. But I think it's childish because someone else now will create a similar site in hoping they will get bought out by an NHL team. They cycle will continue.
You do know that there were other teams also wanting to but CapFriendly, right?

Less 'being jerks to other teams' and 'team might have realized they had a deficiency that money could fix' and a few other teams thought so as well.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
I'd be interested in knowing the Capitals motivation in this. I mean surely, the other 31 teams already have salary cap information on everyone else since they're all, y'know, professionally run sports organizations.

The only thing that this is going to accomplish from what I can tell is just make the average fan's experience worse.
Exactly, an NHL team cannot rely on Capfriendly 100% without checking that all the numbers are exactly right, so they do have to do the work. All this does is piss off all the NHL fans who use the site. FU Washington.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
You can tell which of the posters in this thread weren't around for NHLNumbers, CapGeek, GeneralFanager, and the slew of other fan-run resources that have come and go over the years (many because their founders got hired by NHL teams).
Some of us also don't need some granular understanding of every contract, such as when random 2nd/3rd liner on the 19th place team's NTC list goes from 8 to 10 teams in 2 seasons, as if that's information that is super important to anyone but like .05% of hockey fans.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Enjoy the site but this won't move the needle for most NHL fans.

Why would Caps purchase a site to shut it down when it could be easily replicated?

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad