Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (UPD: Capitals hiring all capfriendly owners, beat out other teams that wanted to buy capfriendly)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Yeah really surprising that these teams don't have analytical departments in today's world. NFL teams are massive on this.

Billion dollar organizations being reliant on a public website is pretty comical.

Sucks for the fans (Capitals still suck), but these teams have no excuses for not having internal tools.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

It boggles the mind at how narrow minded the NHL is on this. They could easily make their own site considering the demand both from fans and actual NHL teams. Instead they are resistant to sites like Capfriendly.
Gary Bettman, 2015: "Fans aren't interested in this kind of thing"

Extreme fan interest contributes to lucrative private enterprise filling the gap

Gary Bettman 2024: "We don't publish these things, it's none of the fans' business. This is a principled stance, not a justification to excuse my error."

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

It boggles the mind at how narrow minded the NHL is on this. They could easily make their own site considering the demand both from fans and actual NHL teams. Instead they are resistant to sites like Capfriendly.

They are so unconscionably dense. Build a damn site, offer some features the public sites can't match, hell, incorporate the data into fantasy hockey with a buy-in, and people will literally give you money to play around in the sandbox. They're straight up leaving money on the table because they're arrogant and paranoid.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

I mean if this is the opinion of the league then they are incredibly out of touch. A lot of fans clearly LOVE having this data available. Why take it away from them?

Reactions: donghabs98

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Gary Bettman, 2015: "Fans aren't interested in this kind of thing"

Extreme fan interest contributes to lucrative private enterprise filling the gap

Gary Bettman 2024: "We don't publish these things, it's none of the fans' business. This is a principled stance, not a justification to excuse my error."

He wants a hard salary cap that goes unnoticed by fans. Good luck with that

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I mean if this is the opinion of the league then they are incredibly out of touch. A lot of fans clearly LOVE having this data available. Why take it away from them?
Your answer is in the 2 tweets you quoted.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So was Capgeek. Another one will replace it pronto. Just like when a dark market goes down.

There is probably already a Capfreindly wanna be out there waiting for this moment

I thought General Fanager was one at one point
That's a big assumption.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
They are so unconscionably dense. Build a damn site, offer some features the public sites can't match, hell, incorporate the data into fantasy hockey with a buy-in, and people will literally give you money to play around in the sandbox. They're straight up leaving money on the table because they're arrogant and paranoid.
It's crazy, the NHL has so many inherent advantages that private sites couldn't offer due to being the league. Investment would be low and pay off high. It's like they have a empty net in front of them and are refusing to shoot into it.

Reactions: uncleben

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If you're a player or a players agent, you are absolutely pissed off right now that the league is pivoting to make player salaries confidential. Make no mistake, this is a blatantly obvious move to suppress player salary increases while the cap is rising because all they are doing is making it more difficult for players and agents to track market changes to negotiate based on comparables. CapFriendly made that process easy and public, and now time that could have been spent getting players their fair share will now need to be spent trying to get the information they already had before. And to further complicate things, that same information will likely be shared among teams internally to give owners an advantage at the negotiating table. It's so blatantly anti-competitive it boggles the mind they're even trying it.

This kind of shit will lead to a player strike when the CBA runs out. And it should piss all of us fans off knowing that ticket, merchandise and concession prices are skyrocketing across the league and now there is no way for owners to be publicly held accountable for holding up their end of the bargain by spending to the cap for competitive teams.

Reactions: Chuck Norris Trophy

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We're still going to get play contract details. Just not all collated in such a user friendly and thorough manner.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
this has really disappointed me, I honestly dont ever wanna buy another jersey, go to a game or even watch another NHL game again.
I can literally just game or watch movies. I love hockey but I can take a break. not much to be excited for anymore anyways,

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
the NHL is such a clown show, I hate it, it will be lower than the MLS before long. this is 100% spitting in the face of the most engaged fans the sport has.
It's sad but I think somewhere in 2008-2010 range the game changed for me . As watching Quebec City getting denied a team many times.. Then those gimmick all star games attempts.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It wouldn’t be the NHL if things were transparent.
It reminds me of that tax meme..

IRS: You owe me money
Person: How much?
IRS: Guess
Person: $600?
IRS: Wrong. Off to jail:(

It really feels like that's how the NHL operates with these secret trade calls and cap penalties. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that conversation has happened between a team and the NHL

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If you're a player or a players agent, you are absolutely pissed off right now that the league is pivoting to make player salaries confidential. Make no mistake, this is a blatantly obvious move to suppress player salary increases while the cap is rising because all they are doing is making it more difficult for players and agents to track market changes to negotiate based on comparables. CapFriendly made that process easy and public, and now time that could have been spent getting players their fair share will now need to be spent trying to get the information they already had before. And to further complicate things, that same information will likely be shared among teams internally to give owners an advantage at the negotiating table. It's so blatantly anti-competitive it boggles the mind they're even trying it.

This kind of shit will lead to a player strike when the CBA runs out. And it should piss all of us fans off knowing that ticket, merchandise and concession prices are skyrocketing across the league and now there is no way for owners to be publicly held accountable for holding up their end of the bargain by spending to the cap for competitive teams.
Someone earlier in the thread had a good idea, the NHLPA should buy an existing site or develop their own if the league won't do it.

Deux de Coeurs

May 6, 2024
NHL teams should have their own software and keep track of their own statistics.

If any NHL executive is reading this they should contact me in private, I guess.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad