Why not do a 32 team world cup?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habsforever14

Jun 26, 2024
Not this huge.
I mean at first sure it could get ridiculous but what if a random teams make a surprising run? It could definitely make it more popular in the country also if Canada for example goes 10-0 up against a very weak country midway trough the 2nd it's not like they'll try to embarrass them, they will show mercy and the margin won't be absolutely insane.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I mean at first sure it could get ridiculous but what if a random teams make a surprising run? It could definitely make it more popular in the country also if Canada for example goes 10-0 up against a very weak country midway trough the 2nd it's not like they'll try to embarrass them, they will show mercy and the margin won't be absolutely insane.

People get tired of watching games where top 6 countries beat up on rank 10+ with relative ease in world championships. Imagine a Canadas best vs Israel game. It's not worth playing.

Reactions: Barnum

Habsforever14

Jun 26, 2024
People get tired of watching games where top 6 countries beat up on rank 10+ with relative ease in world championships. Imagine a Canadas best vs Israel game. It's not worth playing.
If we take this as an example, playing a country loke Canada could give the Israel players some experience and help them grow and come back stronger no?

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
If we take this as an example, playing a country loke Canada could give the Israel players some experience and help them grow and come back stronger no?
Losing by 50+ doesn’t do anything positive for their program. It’s not like they’re close. Israel’s national team would get absolutely murdered by the Prince Albert Raiders. Never mind Team Canada’s best

The gap in hockey is too large for this to be worth it for anybody

Habsforever14

Jun 26, 2024
Poland and Uk have shown they can play. Korea, Japan, Hungary, Ukraina is the same level as Poland and Uk. I see no problem expanding Wc to 24 teams.
Yeah you guys all have good points, 32 teams is perhaps a bit too much, but 24 teams could actually work like you said.

Fair enough. It just seems like a stretch for hockey, my friend. :)
You're probably right honestly.

IMO even 12 teams are too much. The best cases were with 8 teams at Olympics and World Cup
That seems too low imo. We can have a competitve competition with 16 teams atleast.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Countries 28-32 in Ice Hockey: Estonia, Netherlands, Spain, Serbia, Croatia.

Ice Hockey may as well not exist in those countries. Daniel Sprong was playing with 13 year olds when he was 5 years old and moved to Canada when he was 8 because remaining in Holland would have prevented him from advancing in Hockey. Hockey goes about 20-deep before it starts to get too embarrassing (and it's already heavily lopsided within the 20)

Meanwhile in Soccer, a historical powerhouse like Italy can miss a 32 team World Cup.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

Ice Hockey may as well not exist in those countries. Daniel Sprong was playing with 13 year olds when he was 5 years old and moved to Canada when he was 8 because remaining in Holland would have prevented him from advancing in Hockey. Hockey goes about 20-deep before it starts to get too embarrassing (and it's already heavily lopsided within the 20)

Meanwhile in Soccer, a historical powerhouse like Italy can miss a 32 team World Cup.

Yeah I was just checking last night and for example Spain had like 130+ registered hockey players. For the whole country. In Canada or Finland there's that many in a small rural town.

Max Milk

Jun 2, 2023
  1. Canada
  2. USA

1. Russia
  2. Finland
  3. Czechia
  4. Switzerland
  5. Slovakia
  6. Sweden
  7. Germany
  8. Latvia
  9. Denmark
  10. Norway
  11. Austria
  12. France
  13. Belarus
  14. Great-Britain
  15. Hungary
  16. Slovenia
  17. Italy
  18. Poland

1. Kazakhstan
  2. South Korea
  3. Japan
  4. China

24 team World Cup of Hockey
2 top ranking teams from North America
18 top ranking teams from Europe
4 top ranking teams from Asia

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Nowhere near the amount of quality depth and enrolement in the sport for some random country outside of even the smaller, weaker hockey countries to go on a run. 16 teams at the IIHF World Championship every spring is already featuring too many teams and useless blowout games. No one wants to see 10-0, 20-0 games against shit beer league Div. 4 national teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marioesque

Habsforever14

Jun 26, 2024
Yeah I see now why it wouldn't be a good idea. However, we have to find a way to grow the sport. What do you guys think about a 24 team world cup? It wouldn't be that crazy no?

Wow that's a really interesting fact about Sprong I didn't even know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad