Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (upd: site going dark July 5th)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
On Marek show today with Friedman, they said NHL teams are panicking after caps bought capfriendly. Wonder if we see a bunch of cap analyst hires across the league
I thought every team already had one.

Not sure how one can use a random website as the gospel for anything in the first place.

Reactions: Oryxo

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I would assume that anyone could start a website for hockey salaries. And I would assume every GM in the league can find salaries easily. Capfriendly was probably just more convenient.

....Or maybe I took NHL salary information for granted.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I would assume that anyone could start a website for hockey salaries. And I would assume every GM in the league can find salaries easily. Capfriendly was probably just more convenient.

....Or maybe I took NHL salary information for granted.
Bettman would agree with the bolded text

yeah there are other ones but they arent as good. not as many tools and the layout just straight up sucks. I hope they invest some money in a new look puckpedia I mean.

im so used to just typing in a players name and then Cap after. that is going to get extremely annoying lol

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
What’s weird to me in all of this is the implication the NHL itself doesn’t have a central registry for all cap and contracts for all teams to reference and administered competently by the league. Like there’s no “pro” version of Capfriendly.

Makes you wonder why they have a “New York” office or a “league” at all when you don’t even have a way to track this stuff.

No wonder they screwed up so hard with Ottawa and the Dadonov NTC.

i have heard they do have all the contract details registered and available to teams but...you need to call the league to get contract details on a case by case basis. there's no automated access to it

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
This news really sucks, but as some people have already suggested is it not possible to build an almost exact clone of CapFriendly with the same look and interface so that hockey fans won't lose such a valuable resource for team/player info? Doesn't a place like HFBoards or elsewhere have any talented programmers/website builders that could build a CF clone and then you could perhaps have a few passionate fans from each team's board keep a player's and their team's info as current as they can?

It may not be as up to date and accurate as the current CapFriendly, but if it can come pretty close that would be good enough for most people.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
i have heard they do have all the contract details registered and available to teams but...you need to call the league to get contract details on a case by case basis. there's no automated access to it

I wonder if they charge teams Pay Per View fees...

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Enjoy the site but this won't move the needle for most NHL fans.

Why would Caps purchase a site to shut it down when it could be easily replicated?
That's a great question!

Why would any huge corporation purchase a website that fans enjoy and get useful information from, just to shut it down?

I've seen this before. There was once a great website called Harmony Central. For musicians. It was mainly unmodderated, and one of the biggest forums on the internet. Then it was bought by Musician's Friend I believe, and started really going downhill. Then it was purchased by Gibson, and absolutely went into the gutter.

Why?

Why would the Capitals/their owners, want to kill CapFriendly?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the player data is sourced from EliteProspects. I wonder how that relationship will work or continue to work (or not work).

I think EP is in a prime position to take over. Go buy a similar site with similar functionality and then develop it. Up until July, the CF data is available. Start paying an intern to copy and paste or run a script to get all of the currently public information. Then upload once the site is ready. You'd only have a couple of weeks to bridge.
Exactly my thought.

Eliteprospects are IMO now in prime position to takeover that market now. They already have the website, data framework, database and traffic. They could make it available only to their paid membership as there is an obvious fan appeal for it.

Reactions: JKG33

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
On Marek show today with Friedman, they said NHL teams are panicking after caps bought capfriendly. Wonder if we see a bunch of cap analyst hires across the league

Remind me of a scene from movie Draft Day with Kevin Costner.

Its about NFL, but can imagine also for NHL. There was a scene he talks with some woman and she said then "I have to go to play with salary cap".

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
it just doesnt make any sense. Why would the NHL not buy it? Why specifically the Caps. Ted? If it was a dick move just to hurt he other teams, that doesnt make for good trading relationships in the future.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Before Capfriendly there was Capgeek (RIP Matthew Wuest), and after Capfriendly there will be something, granted the Capitals don't buy them up as well.

Reactions: Dog

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

It’s kind of wild to me that a lot of franchises, many worth over a billion, would be so reliant on a public site. I would’ve assumed almost everyone had some kind of internal database of their own creation.

Public sites are always going to be at risk for acquisition by someone. I used to love ExtraSkater back in the day for underlying stats and analytics, until the Leafs hired Darryl Metcalf. Tons of other examples throughout the years. The guy(s) behind NaturalStatTrick will probably be hired at some point and I’ll have to find another one.

So I don’t necessarily blame Washington here, though it does feel like they’re being a bit lazy by just buying CapFriendly when a bunch of other teams have shown the ability to build this stuff out internally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad