Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If you are angry, be mad at the sellout, not the capitalist who did what capitalists do.

Smart move by Ted.
You call the seller the "sellout" and the acquirer a "capitalist".

Whatever anyone thinks about the Caps buying CF, I think we can all agree that you don't know what Captialism means.

Ergo, your vote of confidence for Ted probably doesn't have the impact you'd hope for.:laugh:

Last edited:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This is the karma I get for suggesting a few weeks ago that the Caps should've claimed Gaunce on waivers just to be shitbag heels and prevent him from joining the Monsters for their AHL playoff run.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Before capfriendly there was general fanager. Vegas bought the site and hired the owner. Now he is the one who is making everyone mad with the cap manipulation
Screenshot_20240610-101331~2.png

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Good thing next season is 4 months away and there are some existing websites providing similar information. All it takes is just for one of them to step up their game and fill the void.

I liked CapFriendly too, but I never spent a penny to use their platform, so I can’t complain when free stuff gets taken away.
Second this post

I probably would have paid a nominal fee to support CF like I do HF, but the CF subscription was too much for what added value I would have gotten from it.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Capfriendly sold there services to multiple NHL teams. Capitals gave a number to privatize and own capfriendly.

Other NHL teams no longer get to use capfriendly.
That just doesnt seem like something that would be worth paying for...? It's not like other NHL teams wont make the investment to keep up once it goes dark. Just sounds like everyone loses. Caps lose because they have to pay cash for the site, and 31 other teams also lose because now they have to invest to keep up. Sounds like a great way to make 31 teams pissed off as well, which does NOT help the caps franchise...perhaps hurts them more.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
That just doesnt seem like something that would be worth paying for...? It's not like other NHL teams wont make the investment to keep up once it goes dark. Just sounds like everyone loses. Caps lose because they have to pay cash for the site, and 31 other teams also lose because now they have to invest to keep up. Sounds like a great way to make 31 teams pissed off as well, which does NOT help the caps franchise...perhaps hurts them more.
They are hiring the expertise of the site creators. The last time this was done was by Vegas. I think they’ve been elite at cap since.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I’m sure somebody already have a clone in the works.
If I had the skills to code a site like that, I would be taking vacation from my real job, building a clone, and starting it up now. So I am assuming that there is someone else out there who will start this page.

f*** off Washington

f*** all the way off
This is my initial reaction too. Now my 3rd most hated team, after Calgary and Vegas, ha ha.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Question 1- when contract information gets released, are we all privy to that information from other media sources? Or does Cap friendly have a protected source of information?

Q2 - If the information is readily available, are there any programmers here that want to recreate this with hopes of a potential future buyout? I'm an information digger and an analysis guy, but programming is not my strength. Send me a DM.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
I'm not mad, I just don't get it lol.

How the f*** have teams not been tracking this over the last 20 years, that one needs to buy out CapFriendly?!
There are still plenty of "Old Boys Club" types in team management with archaic views on how to build a team. Those types aren't really numbers guys and likely didn't even know CapFriendly existed.

Jim Benning was GM of the Canucks for nearly 10 years as an example. I don't think he cared much about managing a salary cap with skill and foresight.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I find this very upsetting on several levels. First of all, I love the site, it is the best source of accurate contract info, contract terms, cap numbers and space, as well as team depth charts and other info.
Second, I dont understand how this kind of transaction could be allowed by the league or in general. The legality of this seems very sketchy. This is an information source for the public, fans, reporters and 32 NHL teams. How could one of those teams be allowed to purchase this source and shut it down for everybody else?
Third, all I keep seeing are stories on WHAT happened, but not a single one about WHY it is happening? Does anybody have any information on this? What is the reason and purpose of the Capitals doing this? In what way is CapFriendly somehow harming them and not 31 other teams?
Honestly, I think if this is allowed to go through it sets a VERY bad precedent for all sites of this kind moving forward and their relationships with pro sports leagues.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I find this very upsetting on several levels. First of all, I love the site, it is the best source of accurate contract info, contract terms, cap numbers and space, as well as team depth charts and other info.
Second, I dont understand how this kind of transaction could be allowed by the league or in general. The legality of this seems very sketchy. This is an information source for the public, fans, reporters and 32 NHL teams. How could one of those teams be allowed to purchase this source and shut it down for everybody else?
Third, all I keep seeing are stories on WHAT happened, but not a single one about WHY it is happening? Does anybody have any information on this? What is the reason and purpose of the Capitals doing this? In what way is CapFriendly somehow harming them and not 31 other teams?
Honestly, I think if this is allowed to go through it sets a VERY bad precedent for all sites of this kind moving forward and their relationships with pro sports leagues.
Because it's an independent private business that is, at its fundamental level, collecting and processing data that is publicly available and presenting it in a easy-to-view method. It's not a public service, it is a private entity and therefor isn't under the arm of the NHL to control it's sale. As they rarely present information that is private or secret there is no law stating that the NHL can influence it's sale or acquisition by another entity.

People seem to forget that CapFriendly is, foremost, a business. Not a toy or an affiliated party to the NHL, it is a private business.

Don't hate the players, hate the game.

Reactions: HTFN

AtlantaHockeyFanatic

Mar 25, 2024
Unlikable sack of shit team with unlikable sack of shit players and an unlikeable sack of shit owner does unlikable sack of shit thing.

Do you have this same energy towards the guys who sold the website?

Why are yall acting like it was a hostile takeover lmao. This is capitalism!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the player data is sourced from EliteProspects. I wonder how that relationship will work or continue to work (or not work).

I think EP is in a prime position to take over. Go buy a similar site with similar functionality and then develop it. Up until July, the CF data is available. Start paying an intern to copy and paste or run a script to get all of the currently public information. Then upload once the site is ready. You'd only have a couple of weeks to bridge.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I'm still 90% sure the fact that "cap" was part of the name had something to do with Washington's owner being the one to buy it.

It's like that episode of The League where Taco buys the web domain DallasCowboys.com and gouges Jerry Jones for it lol.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
What the hell purpose does this even serve? It's not like they'll have much of an "advantage" or "inside knowledge" when If I had to assume all the other GMs and front offices know what players make what amount , when their contracts are up anyways, since the whole league is revenue shared and it's a salary capped league anyways. It's pissing away money for the sake of pissing away money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad