GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
UPL is better than George and would have a year or two longer at a similar cap hit. I see the appeal. I wouldn't pretend that UPL is a star goalie or anything though.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if last season was just the start of things to come, or if it was the peak. Goalies are weird these days.

I grew up in the era where it was basically required for you to have an outstanding goaltender to have a chance at winning. These days it's way less of a need.

Reactions: Alienblood

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
God, I'd love Swayman on this team, guy seems like he'd be a perfect fit.

Historically speaking, it also seems like a real Avs move. They've used other teams as their development team for their goalies for a while, Anderson, Varly, Gru and even now with George.
If we got UPL, I think we'd have to pay for potential as well. 5x5..

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Still the least of our problems in this roster. And not like UPL is a surefire solution.

I'm not against it, but hard to see why this would be realistic.
The least of our problems?

During the regular season, 41 goaltenders played 25+ games. He ranked 32nd in GSAA.

Of the 17 goalies in the playoffs he ranked 15th.

Tell me how he is the least of our problems?

An average goaltender takes the Avs places. Georgiev is WELL below average.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The least of our problems?

During the regular season, 41 goaltenders played 25+ games. He ranked 32nd in GSAA.

Of the 17 goalies in the playoffs he ranked 15th.

Tell me how he is the least of our problems?

An average goaltender takes the Avs places. Georgiev is WELL below average.
And yet was totally fine in the playoffs.

In the meantime, we are most likely missing at least 1 top-6 winger to start the season. Possibly two top-6 wingers.

Like I said, I'm not against upgrading on Georgiev. I just have a hard time seeing it being realistic. And UPL is not a surefire upgrade. More potential, probably. Probably also going to make more money than Georgiev this year.

Reactions: Bensch88

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

In the meantime, we are most likely missing at least 1 top-6 winger to start the season. Possibly two top-6 wingers.

Like I said, I'm not against upgrading on Georgiev. I just have a hard time seeing it being realistic. And UPL is not a surefire upgrade. More potential, probably. Probably also going to make more money than Georgiev this year.
But he wasn't "totally fine" in the playoffs.

Did he outright cost the Avalanche games? Only game 1 vs Winnipeg.

Did he help them win games, though? Not really. Games 3 and 6 vs Dallas being the only one he really was great.

He was still giving up 3+ goals in games 1, 2, 4, and 5. That isn't "totally fine" goaltending.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
But he wasn't "totally fine" in the playoffs.

Did he outright cost the Avalanche games? Only game 1 vs Winnipeg.

Did he help them win games, though? Not really. Games 3 and 6 vs Dallas being the only one he really was great.

He was still giving up 3+ goals in games 1, 2, 4, and 5. That isn't "totally fine" goaltending.
How about "not the reason they lost" then? There are bigger holes in the roster. The moment we are relying on our goaltending, we already lost.

Considering the cost, I probably would've taken a shot at Ullmark. Still pretty hard in our cap situation.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015

Was he though?

Below .900 is anything but fine. He had that brutal start to the Winnipeg series and was above .900 twice against Dallas. That flat out sucks.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If CMac finds a way to upgrade on Georgiev (yes, I would view UPL as an upgrade albeit not a real, established one) while making the cap work I'm all for it.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
How about "not the reason they lost" then? There are bigger holes in the roster. The moment we are relying on our goaltending, we already lost.

Considering the cost, I probably would've taken a shot at Ullmark. Still pretty hard in our cap situation.
You don't need to steal games but you need to give your team a chance to win. Being down 0-3 and 0-4 every game isn't it. He's lucky the team bailed his sorry ass out in game 1 against Dallas

Watching Dallas light 4Giev up while struggling to score against Skinner was pathetic.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I wouldn't be surprised at all if last season was just the start of things to come, or if it was the peak. Goalies are weird these days.

I grew up in the era where it was basically required for you to have an outstanding goaltender to have a chance at winning. These days it's way less of a need.
Agreed that you don’t need outstanding goaltending to win.

But you also can’t have bad goaltending and win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad