OT: Where do the Sens rank in the Atlantic for 2024-2025?

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Travis Green and Ullmark are the key people… if they are good a their respective jobs then the Sens will be in the hunt for the playoffs.

If not, it’ll be a repeat of last year.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Not to the point where they miss though. Tampa also got worse. However both Boston and Toronto got better. Boston, Toronto, Florida all are locks. It's about being better than Tampa, Detroit and Buffalo.

Alot hinges on this teams ability to stay healthy, a new coach and the young players taking another step.

I am not counting on Norris playing at all. His situation really screwed up the sens cap situation. I don't think they need him but they do need his cap to add some depth on d and up front.

Tampa is better than Toronto. They finished just 4 points behind the Leafs last year despite missing Vasilevskyi for 1/3 of the season. When he was out, they got goaltending that was worse than what we had.

If you remove sentimentality from it, they got better. Guentzel is much more effective at 5v5 than Stamkos at this stage of their careers and McDonagh is a better fit for their D than Sergachev (who also missed 50 games last year). Moser is a very underrated add as well.

Toronto still has a great top of the roster, but all the other questions remain. Big questions in net, no scoring in their bottom 6, and while Tanev is a nice add, I’d be skeptical of OEL being good (a decent season in a contract year while being very insulated is not something I’d bank on considering what we saw for multiple seasons in Vancouver).

And who knows how their stars who’ve always been told they’re the best and can do no wrong react to Berube.

Is Marner going to sacrifice offense for the good of the team the year before he hits UFA? I doubt it. That whole situation seems like a powderkeg.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Travis Green and Ullmark are the key people… if they are good a their respective jobs then the Sens will be in the hunt for the playoffs.

If not, it’ll be a repeat of last year.
Nobody on this forum was touting Green as the next head coach to be hired by the Senators. Nobody!

Ullmark is very good; hopefully we sign him for a longer term contract.

The rest of the summer of Staios is meh or worse.

Reactions: SENStastic

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Nobody on this forum was touting Green as the next head coach to be hired by the Senators. Nobody!

People are allowed to change their minds when presented with new information. In fact people should be encouraged to do so.

I'm one of them. I'm not completely sold on Green, i wanted more experience. Green, from all accounts, says exactly the things I want a coach of this team to say and the pictures others paint of him are of exactly the kind of coach I want to see.

I sincerely hope that my initial reaction when Green was hired is wrong.

Reactions: LiseL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think @bert mentioned he heard about it well before the media pick up on it, not sure what he thought about that though

That said, whether he was touted as a potential great hire or not doesn't really change the point, Green will have a big impact on the team, either positive or negative.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
People are allowed to change their minds when presented with new information. In fact people should be encouraged to do so.

I'm one of them. I'm not completely sold on Green, i wanted more experience. Green, from all accounts, says exactly the things I want a coach of this team to say and the pictures others paint of him are of exactly the kind of coach I want to see.

It seems to me that many posters on this site support whatever the team does, after the signing, but few would propose what the team did, prior to the signing.

Reactions: ijif and SENStastic

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It seems to me that many posters on this site support whatever the team does, after the signing, but few would propose what the team did, prior to the signing.
I hadn't even really considered Green as a candidate, so I hadn't given him any thought or knew much about him until the news was coming down. I basically had to form an opinion after the fact, and I'm still in a wait and see on it, even if he is saying all the right things.

I think with Coaching especially, it's hard to know what you're gonna get. How do you measure? I certainly can't assess what they need from my seat or who that is, especially with the candidates that were out there this summer and available (or not) to Ottawa. There was some experience out there in guys like Berube, Julien and some others, but sometimes diving in to their records, recent performance, etc. can prove as uninspiring as guys like Green that only had the one opportunity on an average to below average team. Age can be a factor too with someone like Julien, so I can appreciate going in the direction they did.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

New management has brought in some good hockey people. Staios, Martin, Poulin, Demaio and Teirney are miles ahead of the bucket of shit that we have had in recent memory. It's also pretty clear that they aren't afraid to spend money.

I'm generally giving the new regime the benefit of the doubt until otherwise proven wrong. Why? Because, while I may not agree with everything they do, it's clear they are competent and well motivated. They are colectively far better hockey minds then any poster on this board - who are also missing alot of information of what is actually possible/available.

I get questioning, discussing and speculating on the moves the team makes but the doom and gloom that many posters have on here is ridiculous.

This is really the first season for Andalaur and Staios to right the ship. They brought in a recent Vezina winner, made improvements to the team structure/balance and are spending right up to the cap. They brought in a coaching staff they seem to have confident in and I think the minimum the fans should give back is cautious optimism.

Give them a f***ing minute - Rome wasn't built in a day.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
My initial reaction to every move made along with sober second thought:

Green hire: I initially hated it. Now after seeing the assistants and hearing from former players I’m cautiously optimistic.

Ulmark trade: I thought we fleeced Boston. Even if he doesn’t resign we fleeced Boston.

Perron signing: Initially I understood it. Still feel the same way, don’t love it but I’m fine with it.

Chychrun trade: Initially, I was happy to get a competent RD after not getting a UFA. Now, I like it more as it sets up Chabot to rebound.

Joseph trade: It was telegraphed and inevitable, still feel the same, something more than cap space at play (Chabot ?)

Amadio signing: Initially wow that’s rather generous, now, nice to have a bottom 6 guy that can play all 3 positions.

Letting Branny and Kelly walk: Meh, now, now meh especially if they went to arb.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
New management has brought in some good hockey people. Staios, Martin, Poulin, Demaio and Teirney are miles ahead of the bucket of shit that we have had in recent memory. It's also pretty clear that they aren't afraid to spend money.

I'm generally giving the new regime the benefit of the doubt until otherwise proven wrong. Why? Because, while I may not agree with everything they do, it's clear they are competent and well motivated. They are colectively far better hockey minds then any poster on this board - who are also missing alot of information of what is actually possible/available.

I get questioning, discussing and speculating on the moves the team makes but the doom and gloom that many posters have on here is ridiculous.

This is really the first season for Andalaur and Staios to right the ship. They brought in a recent Vezina winner, made improvements to the team structure/balance and are spending right up to the cap. They brought in a coaching staff they seem to have confident in and I think the minimum the fans should give back is cautious optimism.

Give them a f***ing minute - Rome wasn't built in a day.
According to the Bible, the world was built in 7 days! :). Staios has had an entire season.

The summer of Staios does not look good.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
According to the Bible, the world was built in 7 days! :). Staios has had an entire season.

Well the "Summer of Pierre" looked great to everyone...

This is a better team on paper than anything we have iced since Karlsson left. Better players, better organisation, better balance and better depth (which might get even better)

This team should compete for the playoffs. The fact that the East is a murderers row it the main reason it won't be easy.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018

And Dorion had 7 years to absolutely anchor us-- you expect a single off-season to counteract that?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
And Dorion had 7 years to absolutely anchor us-- you expect a single off-season to counteract that?
I am not a Dorion fan. Never was. Thought we should get someone else more experienced and successful than him as GM. Have the same view on Staios.

PS: I don't like the geriatric vets he obtained.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015

The only new info presented is that Green was actually hired by the Sens. That's all. It shouldn't be a basis to all the sudden change your opinion. That makes no sense unless you're just backing anything the team does automatically.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The only new info presented is that Green was actually hired by the Sens. That's all. It shouldn't be a basis to all the sudden change your opinion. That makes no sense unless you're just backing anything the team does automatically.

Plenty of new information.

Interviews with Green himself about his plans. Testimonials from players and brass who have worked with or under green. Insights provided by media members who covered other teams that Green coached, notably the Canucks.

Not sure how you can say that there isn't any new information. There is literally loads of it that has come out since the hire. The truth is none of us really know if he'll be a good fit, I certainly don't. But I think you can be cautiously optimistic without "backing everything the team does automatically"

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Plenty of new information.

Interviews with Green himself about his plans. Testimonials from players and brass who have worked with or under green. Insights provided by media members who covered other teams that Green coached, notably the Canucks.

Not sure how you can say that there isn't any new information. There is literally loads of it that has come out since the hire. The truth is none of us really know if he'll be a good fit, I certainly don't. But I think you can be cautiously optimistic without "backing everything the team does automatically"
So basically, a little PR is all it took. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad