Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (UPD: Capitals hiring all capfriendly owners, beat out other teams that wanted to buy capfriendly)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Another thought is they 'bought' the guys running it
A caps blog said that's exactly what's happening - the two guys behind are rumored to be sought after by the Caps and brought into the organization.

As a Capsfan, I am pissed that I no longer have access to the site. But all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is hysterical. Obviously Leonsis saw value in purchasing the site, either in the form of an advantage for the Caps and/or disadvantage to the other league teams. The same blog mentioned above said upwards of 70% of the teams in league will "scramble" once the site is taken down.

The creators, no doubt, got bank for the purchase.

If some other team had bought it, I'd be pissed but not just for the loss of my access to it, but because my team lost access to it [assuming they use it]. And I'd be second guessing why my team didn't think to buy it.

So, in summary, Caps win, creators win, other teams lose, and fans lose.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I don't agree with that. Building a site that looks like Capfriendly is extremely easy.
Sure lol. Building a site and collecting all that data isn't easy to begin with, or everyone would do it. Designing the UI to be as clean and user friendly as the one they did isn't easy either.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sure lol. Building a site and collecting all that data isn't easy to begin with, or everyone would do it. Designing the UI to be as clean and user friendly as the one they did isn't easy either.
It really is. There's just no reason to try to compete with something as popular as Capfriendly. It's wide open now.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
A caps blog said that's exactly what's happening - the two guys behind are rumored to be sought after by the Caps and brought into the organization.

As a Capsfan, I am pissed that I no longer have access to the site. But all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is hysterical. Obviously Leonsis saw value in purchasing the site, either in the form of an advantage for the Caps and/or disadvantage to the other league teams. The same blog mentioned above said upwards of 70% of the teams in league will "scramble" once the site is taken down.

The creators, no doubt, got bank for the purchase.

If some other team had bought it, I'd be pissed but not just for the loss of my access to it, but because my team lost access to it [assuming they use it]. And I'd be second guessing why my team didn't think to buy it.

So, in summary, Caps win, creators win, other teams lose, and fans lose.

I mean, people have a right to be disappointed when one of the few good and free resources they have to understand the Byzantine cap world is taken away.

I think most of the blame belongs squarely with Bettman and the owners who sneer at the idea that fans have a legitimate interest in contract details and teams’ cap situation and cap outlook. If they had any shame they would have instituted a centralized contract database and made it all transparent to fans after the Dadonov fiasco.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Seems like your new site should be next up.
Hey, you never know.

Website building has come a long way since 2015. There’s going to be tons of competition. I could see HF actually playing a big part in who wins the race. Get established early and gain popularity on here and you’ll have a big boost. Win out Twitter after that and you’re in.

Reactions: uncleben

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Hey, you never know.

Website building has come a long way since 2015. There’s going to be tons of competition. I could see HF actually playing a big part in who wins the race. Get established early and gain popularity on here and you’ll have a big boost. Win out Twitter after that and you’re in.
I am in software, but I don't build websites. I have in the past. I agree that HF will likely play a part, but I think if it was easy, a lot more people would do it. Agree to disagree.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Yeah I have no idea why the league would want to bury contract information... None at all...

Not making salaries public protects the team management in contract negotiations. If i was the NHLPA, i would publish the salaries to provide more power to the players during contract negotiations. MLSPA publishes all salaries.

Reactions: Voight

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I am in software, but I don't build websites. I have in the past. I agree that HF will likely play a part, but I think if it was easy, a lot more people would do it. Agree to disagree.
It just isn’t a niche where competitors can really exist.

Like look at most of the popular hockey sites. Hockeydb, NatStatTrick and Moneypuck look like a thirteen year old built them haha, but good luck taking any of their users.

It’s all about getting established and getting popular enough that competitors won’t even try.

Reactions: Realgud

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not sure if this was posted yet but some more interesting quotes in here. This quote in particular is crazy to me:

Nine teams, five of which are in the same division as the Caps. Maybe they were feeling a little competitive pressure. At this point the only Metro teams that don't have that would be the Flyers and Rangers.

Maybe in memory of Matthew Wuest (z''l) we should petition to rename the Metro Division to the Capgeek Division.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't agree with that. Building a site that looks like Capfriendly is extremely easy.
It's easy but not everybody knows how to do it, which is why there were a bunch of imitators. UX design is kind of an underrated skill, but it's still out there and available. The real value is the network of contacts needed to get the contract info that is otherwise not public.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Can someone refresh my memory on what happened with CapGeek? I'm thought the guy died and the family didn't want it so *poof* gone but I can't quite remember.

To be fair too, capfriendly was around during CapGeek but it took awhile for it to evolve into what it is today. I think what most people are upset about is, more or less, the inevitable "reset" to an inferior product waiting for it to catch up.

We'd all be bummed if all of a sudden the Capitals bought the 4/5G network and cut it off meaning we all had to go back to 3G phones. Yeah, eventually the market would catch up but it doesn't mean it doesn't suck in the mean time.

That said, it is absolutely a BOMB opportunity for a web designer and stats nerd to build a suite dedicated to providing the service to NHL teams. If I had the capability to create it, that would be the priority. Public, second honestly.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It really is. There's just no reason to try to compete with something as popular as Capfriendly. It's wide open now.

Far from easy, think about the following:

- UI design that actually looks friendly
- Good code/database architecture
- Regular data updates
- Good server infrastructure so your site doesn't get hacked or have a shitty performance (Even if you don't do it yourself, you need to pay others to do it)
- Funding to keep the site up should it get popular
- You can do all that, and still fail to better competition

Running a site of that magnitude is not an easy task what so ever.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well it's nice that the capfriendly people got some cash out of their passion project

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
again more than ever f*** the caps. hope they lose all their money and have to relocate, im sorry for the fans but f*** your team.

there's a city just dying to get an NHL team out there.

then do it, we're waiting.....
We appreciate your feedback and will take your suggestion of f***ing off into oblivion under consideration.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Far from easy, think about the following:

- UI design that actually looks friendly
- Good code/database architecture
- Regular data updates
- Good server infrastructure so your site doesn't get hacked or have a shitty performance (Even if you don't do it yourself, you need to pay others to do it)
- Funding to keep the site up should it get popular
- You can do all that, and still fail to better competition

Running a site of that magnitude is not an easy task what so ever.
Yes it's 'easy' to replicate the UI work and post a bunch of salaries, but to do the full package, do it well, add all sorts of additional features, and constantly maintain updates, is not only not so easy but also a ton of work.

For as long as it's been running it would pretty much be a full time job for the people running it, and while I understand fans being upset about losing it I say if they can cash out on their work then good for them. This is a significant but relatively niche free product so I can't complain that they're being rewarded for their work.

Reactions: Realgud

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I mean I dont hate you or any of the fans but I dunno how I can not be this way towards the caps right now.

also this is pretty minor, just wait till the site actually goes dark
The owner of the previous site before capfriendly- general fanager got bought by Vegas and their former owner is making all the cap moves for Vegas that people are complaining about. Why wouldn't Washington want that advantage too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad