Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (UPD: Capitals hiring all capfriendly owners, beat out other teams that wanted to buy capfriendly)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Can someone explain to me what was so valuable here that the Caps wanted CapFriendly's people so much? I don't really understand what the value is here to them.

Kiith Nabaal

Oct 11, 2013
Teams do have software engineers on staff. The Penguins and Kraken have one each, and I am sure some other teams have one as well. The Capitals have one themselves. I think they mostly work with data people to build analytics platforms.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Make your own then, why are you crying cause someone else is capitalizing on their own hard work. This is more about the owners of the site wanting to take the next step then it is the Caps buying them.
Im not mad that the guys from capfriendly got paid, im happy for them. Im not happy Washington bought them and shut them down. this really effects something Im extremely interested in like dynasty leagues, this will likely have a trickle effect I read somewhere that even sites like elite prospects and including to puckpedia all coming from capfriendly. and with the league not wanting to release this information anymore soon we very well not have any sites left to get this info from. it's beyond pathetic that the NHL doesnt have a pro version of capfriendly.

so basically the only people who lose in this situation are the fans

feels like the NHL is sick of paying their players what they deserve. cut the comparison and they can save more money on overall money spent, there will be no way to track if NHL teams even spend to the max to try and compete. Im not sure what your not mad about this too

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Won’t CapFriendly’s non-public sources dry up now that they officially work for one NHL team? It’s one thing for an agent or league official to leak information to a journalist, it’s another to leak to an employee of an NHL team.

Reactions: Viqsi

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I don’t actually know how league or team offices work but I wonder to what extent each team has their own models or software stood up for this and to the extent they do have them, they may have just been running something on top of the data that comes from CapFriendly, so their tools or models may just be obsolete now

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Im not mad that the guys from capfriendly got paid, im happy for them. Im not happy Washington bought them and shut them down. this really effects something Im extremely interested in like dynasty leagues, this will likely have a trickle effect I read somewhere that even sites like elite prospects and including to puckpedia all coming from capfriendly. and with the league not wanting to release this information anymore soon we very well not have any sites left to get this info from. it's beyond pathetic that the NHL doesnt have a pro version of capfriendly.

so basically the only people who lose in this situation are the fans

feels like the NHL is sick of paying their players what they deserve. cut the comparison and they can save more money on overall money spent, there will be no way to track if NHL teams even spend to the max to try and compete. Im not sure what your not mad about this too
Replacement :popcorn::naughty::D inspired by CapFriendly :wave:

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
I'd say that's a fairly minor part to it.

Capfriendly didn't start with them either. Once you become the default cap site, that's who the agents are going to talk to.
How do you become the default contract site without access to the data?

The NHLPA should just start publishing everything. They do publish AAV but not term, bonus structure or trade clauses. Those items are also things which agents/players negotiate for (eg they might take a little lower salary in return for an extensive NTC), so it's in their interest that it should be public.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

The NHLPA should just start publishing everything. They do publish AAV but not term, bonus structure or trade clauses. Those items are also things which agents/players negotiate for (eg they might take a little lower salary in return for an extensive NTC), so it's in their interest that it should be public.
Is it still the case that NHL website does not publish an information of player´s type of contract & his lenght? Here Michkov contract on KHL website

Michkov.png

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Just by using what's available.

In the early days of Capfriendly, they rarely had details for contracts. If they did, it was credited to guys like McKenzie, LeBrun and Dreger.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Can someone explain to me what was so valuable here that the Caps wanted CapFriendly's people so much? I don't really understand what the value is here to them.

Hiring talented people to build in-house tools that the staff can utilize is a huge asset. The folks involved at CapFriendly have already proven that they can build a great tool.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Just to shut it down. Caps are a randomly chosen team to do this.

Perhaps, but hasn't it been argued that alternatives will step in to replace CapFriendly?

Hiring talented people to build in-house tools that the staff can utilize is a huge asset. The folks involved at CapFriendly have already proven that they can build a great tool.

Perhaps, but what's so unique and special about their skills?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Maybe that’s better? What if we didn’t really know how much Marner was making, for example?
I guess so but its pretty bad fro dynasty leagues which rely on this info. I guess we could always just make our own cap but transitioning over would be a NIGHTMARE.

I mean is it really fair to be mad at the Caps? I dunno maybe, if it wasnt them it was going to be someone else. and its not like the NHL would have done it, they want CF gone too.

I can only assume this is because they dont want players to know what others get paid so they can potentially save more money that way.

but mostly my anger comes from thinking this is potentially going to kill off alot of dynasty leagues which mean alot to me

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I like how the Caps are now saying “we just did it before some other assholes did!”

Probably true, doesn’t make me like it any more.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
I work as a Software Engineer for a living, the kind of work done on a site like CapFriendly is actually massive. Doing something of that magnitude and doing it well is a big deal.
One of the co-founders, Dominik Zrim has NHL front office experience, as former Director of Salary Cap management and CBA compliance for the Blackhawks. He was also Manager of Hockey Strategy for the Sharks.

Their VP, Jamie Davis is their full stack developer. Both are joining the Capitals. So it makes perfect sense why the Capitals would do something like this, they’re getting two of the best in their industry.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
did u send me a KHL link? and I dunno if its my work comp but the link didnt work lol.
before you know it, we may never know players contracts.
You don't have to worry. Someone will take their place.

Capfriendly is the third "#1" cap site to go down. It seems like most people have forgot that General Fanager was a lot more popular than Capfriendly back after Capgeek went down until Vegas bought it.

You also had sites like HockeysCap. They were the ones who created the "Armchair GM" tool that eventually ended up on Capfriendly.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The nhlpa should have a database/website thats on par with capfriendly since it benefits the players the most.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
One of the co-founders, Dominik Zrim has NHL front office experience, as former Director of Salary Cap management and CBA compliance for the Blackhawks. He was also Manager of Hockey Strategy for the Sharks.

Their VP, Jamie Davis is their full stack developer. Both are joining the Capitals. So it makes perfect sense why the Capitals would do something like this, they’re getting two of the best in their industry.
I don't think they're going to be getting anywhere near the same kind of quality updates from around the league, though, and I still think that's the biggest uniquely valuable thing CapFriendly has brought. But there is indeed something to be said for bringing in folks you know can do the job.

Regardless, the Capitals can still go f*** themselves.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
PuckPedia is probably going to be the successor.

They already have all the data that Capfriendly had and they shouldn't have any issues getting connections since they already do extensive work with agents. They're developing a "GM Mode" version of Capfriendly's "Armchair GM" too.

Their "one stop shop, all the information you need in one spot" philosophy is a bit of an information overload eye sore to me, but people will get used to it.

Reactions: SEALBound

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad