Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (upd: site going dark July 5th)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the player data is sourced from EliteProspects. I wonder how that relationship will work or continue to work (or not work).

I think EP is in a prime position to take over. Go buy a similar site with similar functionality and then develop it. Up until July, the CF data is available. Start paying an intern to copy and paste or run a script to get all of the currently public information. Then upload once the site is ready. You'd only have a couple of weeks to bridge.
Player data is. They don't have the contract data updates (at least, not as far as I know), and that's the really tricky bit.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
On TJMS, Friedman says that the NHL considers cap information confidential information. The league isn't going to publish information itself for that reason. The Caps wouldn't be able to keep the site open, if they wanted to.

Some teams are sweating because of this. Teams mentioned as already having built their infrastructure: Pittsburgh, Toronto, Columbus, New York Islanders

Reactions: xECK29x and Viqsi

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If you are angry, be mad at the sellout, not the capitalist who did what capitalists do.

Smart move by Ted.

You want us to be mad at the guy who sold a business he built up instead of the guy taking a site that relies on 3rd party data and was developed for public use private?

Its hard to know if it was a smart move by Ted or not depending on the price and other stipulations of the deal, but he's the reason its going private so anger should be directed at him. Capitalism doesn't really have anything to do with this as its applicable to both sides and I don't think there's any argument that society needs a public registry of NHL contracts.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Player data is. They don't have the contract data updates (at least, not as far as I know), and that's the really tricky bit.
That's why I said buyout a site that already has the base structure in place and then combined.

I mean, hell, even HockeyBuzz has a "Cap Central".
On TJMS, Friedman says that the NHL considers cap information confidential information. The league isn't going to publish information itself for that reason. The Caps wouldn't be able to keep the site open, if they wanted to.

Some teams are sweating because of this. Teams mentioned as already having built their infrastructure: Pittsburgh, Toronto, Columbus, New York Islanders
I believe this is why everything CapFriendly does is based on public disclosures and they say "it's close but not exact".

I imagine several teams already have some sort of internal structure. I could be wrong but it would be hard to imagine an NHL team's front office just hanging out on Capfriendly all day like I do.

That said, if I'm from CapFriendly and helped build the site, this would be the time to go find a VC and get some capital to hire a team to build a clone of capfriendly and offer it to NHL teams...if it's true it's used as much as it is.

Reactions: Viqsi

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
If the NHL were smart (they're not), they would have purchased it and kept it available. Its a great tool for fan interest and engagement in the league.
I would bet less than 1% of fans even know what capfriendly is.

I do wonder what the Caps paid for it though

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Didn't Chakya come from a site like this
Yes and no. Chayka was part of an analytics site, which is not quite the same thing - there's actual knowledge of statistical analysis there to be acquired and leveraged. CapFriendly's value was in being able to get information that is otherwise not public, and that requires more knowing people than knowing math.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Well this absolutely sucks for us. That website is excellent.
So was Capgeek. Another one will replace it pronto. Just like when a dark market goes down.

There is probably already a Capfreindly wanna be out there waiting for this moment

I thought General Fanager was one at one point

Reactions: Kane One

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Sucks to hear but as many have mentioned, there will be a replacement site that will fill the void.
Though I don't like their layout as much, Puckpedia seems to cover all the basic cap related info that I went to capfriendly for already.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
bow.gif

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What’s weird to me in all of this is the implication the NHL itself doesn’t have a central registry for all cap and contracts for all teams to reference and administered competently by the league. Like there’s no “pro” version of Capfriendly.

Makes you wonder why they have a “New York” office or a “league” at all when you don’t even have a way to track this stuff.

No wonder they screwed up so hard with Ottawa and the Dadonov NTC.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What’s weird to me in all of this is the implication the NHL itself doesn’t have a central registry for all cap and contracts for all teams to reference and administered competently by the league. Like there’s no “pro” version of Capfriendly.

Makes you wonder why they have a “New York” office or a “league” at all when you don’t even have a way to track this stuff.

No wonder they screwed up so hard with Ottawa and the Dadonov NTC.
The impression I've been left with is that they track it internally but don't make that info preemptively available to teams - i.e. it'll come up when someone calls in for a trade as part of the approval process but that's it. Not sure how accurate that is tho.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The impression I've been left with is that they track it internally but don't make that info preemptively available to teams - i.e. it'll come up when someone calls in for a trade as part of the approval process but that's it. Not sure how accurate that is tho.

wonder if we'll see that change over the summer now. If there are a lot of teams seriously inconvenienced by this, maybe changing how the league handles and makes available cap info will be something they'll look at changing just screw Ted back on it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The league didn’t track NMC’s or NTC’s, hopefully that is changing.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
How'd you say those two things back to back and not realize exactly why it isn't the shady, pointless move you think it is? They took a useful public tool that made life easy for competitors and privatized it. I'm not a fan of capitalism overall but it's easier to justify in competitive sports settings like this, if your argument is that the Caps are bad people because other GMs wanted to use the tool it's a bit like complaining about a team signing a UFA because other teams wanted him for less.

You as a fan with no influence going without a cap resource and GM simulator for a few months is not the serious blow you're making it out to be.

It doesn’t take a lot to understand why the caps made the move but thanks for explaining it anyways.

Comparing a public resource that everyone can use to a free agent is a reach for sure. Anyways you can see the public perception about this move makes the org look bad you don’t need to argue against that it’s facts.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It wouldn’t be the NHL if things were transparent.

Reactions: Gustave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad