Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How'd you say those two things back to back and not realize exactly why it isn't the shady, pointless move you think it is? They took a useful public tool that made life easy for competitors and privatized it. I'm not a fan of capitalism overall but it's easier to justify in competitive sports settings like this, if your argument is that the Caps are bad people because other GMs wanted to use the tool it's a bit like complaining about a team signing a UFA because other teams wanted him for less.

You as a fan with no influence going without a cap resource and GM simulator for a few months is not the serious blow you're making it out to be.
Highly unlikely this gives the Caps a measurable competitive advantage. Especially considering nothing they do will stop their decline into irrelevance and a long rebuild so any short term benefit is meaningless. To use your UFA example it's kind of like a team signing a guy just to healthy scratch him for 82 games to prevent anyone else from having him. Sure, you can do that, but it's a really poor look.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
No movement clauses, when they kicked in, how many teams they affected, if they were no trades or just no moves, etc.

Lots of small little details that we as fans only ever heard about from cap friendly. It's the kind of stuff capfriendly knew about because it was run by guess who had connections with agents, GM's, the league itself, and because they had vowed to be neutral.

For example;
View attachment 880995

You'd basically need a copy of Hyman's contract to have this information.

This exactly, I'm sure tons of us on HF (myself included) could build the data website of contract numbers and tools. It wouldn't be that difficult.

The problem is I/another user wouldn't be able to get all of this contract info for NTCs.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Study idea: run a regression discontinuity on teams' cap efficiency pre- and post-CapFriendly blackout. Boom, treatment effect of easily accessible cap knowledge.

(Come AT ME with your confounders, bro!)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Everyone hating on the Caps should realize the Capfriendly guys are just as if not more culpable.
I'm sure their enterprise was viable as it was and they did not NEED to sell. But they took the payday. Many such cases.

And no one should blame them. If it's life altering money (which I presume it is or why bother?) then any one of us would do the exact same.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Are we suggesting that one NHL franchise approached the owners of the site to buy it outright and shut it down and they were just like "yeah that's all we need to hear, none of your peers could possibly put together a better package"? Didn't stop to ponder what they wanted or why it was worth whatever it's worth, just saw the numbers and went "boy howdy"?

Because if a group of people running a website dedicated to contracts and contract negotiation didn't know how to negotiate on a contract by now... I mean... woof. We saying 31 other teams never caught a whiff? If the GMs of those teams were like "oh shit" and the owners just didn't listen when the money came around... we putting that on Washington to make it easy?

Lot of daily users getting emotional
No, I asked for a link. And if you keep reading, you'd notice that I got that link.

This seems a bit overly emotional on your part.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I guess I don't get the incentive to a team for purchasing the site.

Like... I figured every team was already tracking this?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Were teams just not tracking this information? I feel like this is basic ass spreadsheet work for billion dollar clubs. You hire 1 guy to track salaries.

**** the Capitals.

Reactions: iCanada

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Are people actually mad that the CapFriendly people got a huge payday and did well for themselves? Maybe just jealous?

There will be another site created. Just as there was before.

Maybe somebody here can do it!

Reactions: NVious and Trow

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You are angry at the dude that took your wife, rather than your wife who left you.
That's a terrible scenario as nobody is going to fault the guy making a potential retirement sale instead of passing up the opportunity that may come once in a life-time. Your scenario to compare is quite the reach to paint the canvas in your aiming for.

I’ve used PuckPedia anyway
The UI hurts my eyes.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Are people actually mad that the CapFriendly people got a huge payday and did well for themselves? Maybe just jealous?

There will be another site created. Just as there was before.

Maybe somebody here can do it!
I'm not mad, I just don't get it lol.

How the f*** have teams not been tracking this over the last 20 years, that one needs to buy out CapFriendly?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad