Proposal: Canucks - solidify Goaltending and Defense (H. Lindholm and B. Bishop)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Canucks - solidify Goaltending and Defense (Lindholm and Bishop)

I am of the opinion that....

1) It's much more difficult to draft/trade for/sign a good defenseman than it is to draft/trade for/sign a good center or forward.

2) Successful teams typically (but not always) build from the net out.

I am a Canucks fan, and I absolutely love Bo Horvat, but if a guy like Horvat can be used in a packaged deal to land us Hampus Lindholm, I'd seriously consider it.

To Anaheim: Bo Horvat, Ben Hutton, 2nd.
To Vancouver: Hampus Lindholm.

To Tampa Bay: Jacob Markstrom, 1st round pick
To Vancouver: Ben Bishop

Losing Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom, plus high end picks would suck for obvious reasons, but consider the following:

A) Solidification in Net Long Term: With Bishop in net, the Canucks would likely be solidified in goal for a VERY long time. You can then allow Demko to develop slowly and comfortably. If Demko lives up to his promise, you can then move one of Bishop or Demko when the time comes.

B) Solidification on Defense Long Term: With Lindholm here, the Canucks would have one of the best defenseman in the league. In a few years, it's also possible that Olli Juolevi becomes a very good defenseman and adds to the defensive prowess.

Canucks - potential superstars on defense (or already are superstars)
-Lindholm
-Juolevi

Canucks - potential superstars in goal (or already are superstars)
-Bishop
-Demko

With the Canucks likely set in both net and on D for a very long time, the Canucks can then hyper-target forwards with drafting, signings, etc., etc. to round out their team. Moving Edler at some point to either recoup one of the high end picks or get help up front would be a good start.

Ducks have Getzlaf,Kesler,Vermette andRakell who are centers so we don't have a lot of interest in centers like Horvat. Hutton has only 1 season under his belt. We are not trading our former 6th overall pick for a return of Horvat,Hutton and a 2nd round pick especially to a division rival.

I don't think the ANA one is as bad as people are saying. Hutton is top 4 already with more upside and Horvat is the real deal. I'm not overly familiar with ANA's roster, but I'd guess they'd put Horvat at 3C and move Rakell to LW.

Hutton played under 20 min a game while that was 4th most average time on ice for the Canucks defenseman I wouldn't call him a top 4 defenseman yet especially after just 75 NHL games.

Last edited:

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Don't waste the assets on Bishop
Larsson cost Hall so Lindholm is going to take more than your offering
Horvat is a 3rd line player and Hutton is a 3rd pairing dman maybe a number 4

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
I can see why the ducks wouldn't do the deal, I also wouldn't do it, I would rather see what the combo of Hutton horvat and most likely a pick between 31-35 could do. I also think horvat is going to be great, and his value probably is higher to Vancouver then anywhere else.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Future full time #2 two way center, potential 1C, already a solid NHL player and probably future captain.

Future top 2 D, already a top 4 D who I think is truly going to be a #1 D. Watch him and you'll see what I mean.

for

a top pairing d-man right now who is still improving.

It's close, but certainly not a 'highway robbery' imo. Watch Hutton play.

Still wouldn't do it. Canucks don't have the depth to trade Horvat.

You sure that's all? You aren't going to predict any Norris or Art Ross trophies?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Wouldn't do the Lindholm deal. I honestly think Hutton is going to be better...

That's... bold. One might say uninformed. Lindholm is already the much better player, and he's also younger. You're spinning the roulette wheel here, and you're putting all your cash on a single digit.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Other than getting the two most valuable players in both deals..

The Canucks need Horvat and Hutton more than Lindholm. Deal Horvat and who do we have left at C?

And the 1st round pick is worth more than Ben Bishop. Especially when you consider it'll be a top 10 pick (likely top 5).

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
If the ducks can't come to a deal with Lindholm the only deal that could maybe make sense to the ducks and Canucks would be the twins at 50% plus something like a draft pick (protected or future first)

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Canucks - solidify Goaltending and Defense (Lindholm and Bishop)

I am of the opinion that....

1) It's much more difficult to draft/trade for/sign a good defenseman than it is to draft/trade for/sign a good center or forward.

2) Successful teams typically (but not always) build from the net out.

I am a Canucks fan, and I absolutely love Bo Horvat, but if a guy like Horvat can be used in a packaged deal to land us Hampus Lindholm, I'd seriously consider it.

To Anaheim: Bo Horvat, Ben Hutton, 2nd.
To Vancouver: Hampus Lindholm.

To Tampa Bay: Jacob Markstrom, 1st round pick
To Vancouver: Ben Bishop

Losing Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom, plus high end picks would suck for obvious reasons, but consider the following:

A) Solidification in Net Long Term: With Bishop in net, the Canucks would likely be solidified in goal for a VERY long time. You can then allow Demko to develop slowly and comfortably. If Demko lives up to his promise, you can then move one of Bishop or Demko when the time comes.

B) Solidification on Defense Long Term: With Lindholm here, the Canucks would have one of the best defenseman in the league. In a few years, it's also possible that Olli Juolevi becomes a very good defenseman and adds to the defensive prowess.

Canucks - potential superstars on defense (or already are superstars)
-Lindholm
-Juolevi

Canucks - potential superstars in goal (or already are superstars)
-Bishop
-Demko

With the Canucks likely set in both net and on D for a very long time, the Canucks can then hyper-target forwards with drafting, signings, etc., etc. to round out their team. Moving Edler at some point to either recoup one of the high end picks or get help up front would be a good start.

Anaheim says no to the first deal. They need Lindholm more than Horvat, Hutton and a 2nd. It would require an overpayment and that's not it.

The second deal is absolutely horrible for the Canucks, I mean of all the positions we are strong in Goalie is the strongest, why the hell would we trade for a 29 year old goaltender, which we don't need and we give up a 1st, WHY?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Watching him play every game, unlike you.

Ppl said the same about tanev

You realize that the player you'd be trading him for is currently a top 2 guy, right? Not only that, but he's younger, and has a lot of room to grow as a player. You're basically saying that you wouldn't trade Hutton for a sure thing, who is currently what you hope Hutton will be, is younger, and has much greater upside.

That's just a really strange approach. If that's the way you feel, hey, fine. From Vancouver's perspective, it seems like a no brainer, even with Horvat's potential. You would not only get the best player in the deal, by a fair margin, but he's also the safest bet. By a fair margin.

From Anaheim's perspective, it's very high risk, and only makes sense if they feel that Lindholm has to be moved.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Future full time #2 two way center, potential 1C, already a solid NHL player and probably future captain.

Future top 2 D, already a top 4 D who I think is truly going to be a #1 D. Watch him and you'll see what I mean.

for

a top pairing d-man right now who is still improving.

It's close, but certainly not a 'highway robbery' imo. Watch Hutton play.

Still wouldn't do it. Canucks don't have the depth to trade Horvat.

Your valuation is so far off bud, Horvat will be a 2C and Hutton might one day be top pairing, there value as a whole is no where near Lindholm. Give your head a shake. :shakehead

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Other than getting the two most valuable players in both deals..

Anaheim one yah sure, our goaltending is set for years, so we don't need Bishop and were giving up a 1st and a 1B goalie for a UFA, that deal is horrible for the Canucks, if you can't see that I don't know what to tell ya.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
That's a pretty interesting deal. Of course people are living in the past with regards to Getzlaf and Kesler and think the Ducks are set at center, in truth the Ducks need to replace one of those very soon.

Ducks have no current needs for a center
And with the budget used, whether old or not, we have large commitment to our top two centers in term, money,many NMC

I don't think these are bad proposals value wise, but not fitting ducks team structure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad