Proposal: Canucks - solidify Goaltending and Defense (H. Lindholm and B. Bishop)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Goalies are relatively cheap, so no doubt Nucks could put a deal together for Bishop.

In a vacuum yes, goalies are relatively cheap. World class goalies on teams that are trying to win a Cup now and which have zero reason to trade said goalie, on the other hand, are not. Bishop is the Lightning's MVP, he carried the team on his back last season when it was decimated by injuries, he's consistently stolen games that the Lightning had no business winning, and whenever he's gone down with injuries the team has gone down with him (see the ECF last season or the first round of the playoffs three seasons ago.) Trading him for anything less than a stud young ELC player who fills a key organizational need (either a RHD PPQB or a top six scoring forward) makes absolutely zero sense for the Lightning.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Great supporting argument.

Lindholm:
82GP 10G 18A 28P

Hutton:
75GP 1G 24A 25P

Hutton was on one of the worst teams in the NHL offensively and defensively. He played 3rd pairing for the first half of the season. He didn't smell any PP time until the season was already ending.

Lindholm played on one of the best teams in the NHL (regular season). He had way more ice time and opportunities than Hutton.

Reverse their roles. If Hutton played for Anaheim in the situation Lindholm was in and if Lindholm played for Vancouver in the situation Hutton was in, I bet you any amount of money that Hutton would have outscored Lindholm.

Is Hutton better than Lindholm? Probably not.
But is Lindholm way better than Hutton? No.

The only reason why this is even debated is because HF loves to pick a young kid who's trending well and overrate him drastically. We saw it with Mikael Grandlund and we saw it with Toews a few years ago. This coupled with the fact that Hutton plays on the Canucks and we all know how much HF loves the Canucks.

/thread

Unlikely, since Hutton would have struggled in Lindholm's role, and then his responsibilities, and ice time, would have decreased. You can't just transplant them in a vacuum and expect nothing to change. Boudreau isn't an idiot. He isn't going to put Hutton in Lindholm's role and not make any further adjustments. That's going to lose the team hockey games.

That's before you consider the fact we're talking about defensemen, and defense is actually a pretty important aspect of that position. Vatanen out-scored Lindholm. You aren't going to find any Anaheim fans suggesting that Sami is as good as Lindholm, based on that fact. Nor should you.

Yes, Lindholm is "way better" than Hutton. Hutton was 5th in ES ice time for defensemen, on one of the worst teams in the NHL. Lindholm was 1st in ES ice time for defensemen, on one of the best, and on the team that won the Jennings no less. Not only was Lindholm in a more important role, but he was much more successful in that role.

/thread

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Great supporting argument.

Lindholm:
82GP 10G 18A 28P

Hutton:
75GP 1G 24A 25P

Hutton was on one of the worst teams in the NHL offensively and defensively. He played 3rd pairing for the first half of the season. He didn't smell any PP time until the season was already ending.

Lindholm played on one of the best teams in the NHL (regular season). He had way more ice time and opportunities than Hutton.

Reverse their roles. If Hutton played for Anaheim in the situation Lindholm was in and if Lindholm played for Vancouver in the situation Hutton was in, I bet you any amount of money that Hutton would have outscored Lindholm.

Is Hutton better than Lindholm? Probably not.
But is Lindholm way better than Hutton? No.

The only reason why this is even debated is because HF loves to pick a young kid who's trending well and overrate him drastically. We saw it with Mikael Grandlund and we saw it with Toews a few years ago. This coupled with the fact that Hutton plays on the Canucks and we all know how much HF loves the Canucks.

/thread

Lindholm played in 80 games not 82. Lindholm scored a lot more goals reaching 10 while Hutton scored just 1 goal. Goals favored Lindholm not being close. Hutton needs to get better at scoring goals 1 off of 104 shots is terrible. Lindholm had a few more points but in a few more games so that was close.

So for a good amount of time Hutton was playing on the Canucks 3rd pair which was a easier situation then Lindholm playing for the Ducks. According to http://www.rotowire.com/hockey/player.htm?id=3983 Lindholm had 15 power play points on the season while averaging 2:15 of power play time a game while according to http://www.rotowire.com/hockey/player.htm?id=4741 Hutton had 7 power play points on the season while averaging 2:17 of power play time a game. So in 2 less seconds a game on the power play Lindholm had more then double the power play points then Hutton hmm...

If Hutton was on the Ducks playing Lindholm role and mins Ducks wouldn't of won the Jennings trophy because Lindholm is much better defensively. Hutton would of been in the same situation Lindholm had being on the ice with teammates who had trouble scoring outside of the power play. How would Hutton of handled Lindholm role for the entire season? Odds are that he would of had struggles and not been as good as he was in a easier role for the Canucks.

Is Hutton better then Lindholm? Clearly not.
Is Lindholm way better then Hutton? Clearly he is because he was playing in a harder situation all season long and had outproduced him while playing a much better defensive game.

Your talking about this is only even a debate because HF loves to pick a kid who's trending well and overrate him drastically well guess what Hutton played in his 1st NHL season and did well and is now being overrated.

Also note Hutton is older then Lindholm.

Last edited:

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There's no appetite among Ducks fans for trading Lindholm at practically any price.

You might as well suggest that the Angels trade Mike Trout to the Mariners for a collection of players and prospects, none of whom are as good as The Guy.

It's just not happening.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
How about Horvat/Virtanen + 2nd(this or next) + ? For Giordano?

Why would the Flames move their captain for a player they don't really need? To get a 2nd round pick, LOL.

You don't think teams would line up to bid for Gio if they did make him available?

When you approach a potential trade simply to make your team better, without consideration of the other team's needs, it's usually a terrible proposal.

You didn't disappoint.

The Flames have zero desire to trade Gio, and if they did they would need, as a minimum, another younger, cheaper top d-man coming back, such as Lindholm. At least in that deal the Flames get Gio's replacement and save some cap space.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
There's no appetite among Ducks fans for trading Lindholm at practically any price.

You might as well suggest that the Angels trade Mike Trout to the Mariners for a collection of players and prospects, none of whom are as good as The Guy.

It's just not happening.

ooohhhhh thats a BINGO!!

Marcel

Sep 24, 2015
To Anaheim: Bo Horvat, Ben Hutton, 2nd.
To Vancouver: Hampus Lindholm.

To Tampa Bay: Jacob Markstrom, 1st round pick
To Vancouver: Ben Bishop

I wouldn't do either deal.

Vancouver is not in a position to be trading away 5 assets to acquire 2.

Lindholm may be a better player than either Hutton or Horvat, but he is not a better player than both players combined plus a pick. Take out either Horvat or Hutton and replace the 2nd with a 3rd or 4th and the deal might make sense to Vancouver.

Bishop is a soon to be 30 year old UFA who is starting to deal with the injury bug and may not even be a better goaltender than Markstrom who is 5 years younger.

I prefer Markstrom because of the age and salary cost difference plus I think Markstrom is better able to deal with his height than is Bishop who can look gangly at times which gets him caught out of position.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I wouldn't do either deal.

Vancouver is not in a position to be trading away 5 assets to acquire 2.

Lindholm may be a better player than either Hutton or Horvat, but he is not a better player than both players combined plus a pick. Take out either Horvat or Hutton and replace the 2nd with a 3rd or 4th and the deal might make sense to Vancouver.

Bishop is a soon to be 30 year old UFA who is starting to deal with the injury bug and may not even be a better goaltender than Markstrom who is 5 years younger.

I prefer Markstrom because of the age and salary cost difference plus I think Markstrom is better able to deal with his height than is Bishop who can look gangly at times which gets him caught out of position.

So your proposed change is to make it Hutton/Horvat and a 3rd?

That's ridiculous.

Marcel

Sep 24, 2015
So your proposed change is to make it Hutton/Horvat and a 3rd?

That's ridiculous

You're entitled to your opinion, mine is based on the fact that we are talking 3 very young players who have played a total of 6 NHL seasons combined with Lindholm having played 3 of those.

So this discussion should be based on the upside of the players rather than what they have accomplished to date, especially considering the significant difference in quality of teammates each has played with.

How much higher is Lindholms ceiling than Huttons?

Does Lindholm have a higher ceiling than does Horvat?

For me, I see 3 young players who should each turn out to be good quality NHL'rs but do I see a significant difference in each's upside?

No I don't.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

You're entitled to your opinion, mine is based on the fact that we are talking 3 very young players who have played a total of 6 NHL seasons combined with Lindholm having played 3 of those.

So this discussion should be based on the upside of the players rather than what they have accomplished to date, especially considering the significant difference in quality of teammates each has played with.

For me, I see 3 young players who should each turn out to be good quality NHL'rs but do I see a significant difference in each's upside?

No I don't.

So what you're saying is: let's scratch out the fact that Lindholm is by far the better player and just go with our gut feeling.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Haha it's so obvious how overrated Lindholm is on HF by this thread. The fan boys are out in full force here.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Haha it's so obvious how overrated Lindholm is on HF by this thread. The fan boys are out in full force here.

After your previous post, I hope you appreciate the irony here.

No I don't.

Mine is based on the fact that potential is just potential until it's actualized. Lindholm is living up to his potential, and then some. When all things are equal, a proven asset is worth more than an unproven one. That's when all things are equal. In this case, they aren't. Lindholm has better upside than Horvat and Hutton both. Lindholm's three seasons of NHL experience show that he's every bit the talent that he was touted as. More than, even.

There are a lot of highly touted prospects who fall short. Any GM worth his salt is going to value a prospect who has proven himself over an equal prospect who hasn't. The only reason a GM might favor an unproven talent is 1) if age is a factor(it isn't) or if 2) salary is a factor. That one might actually apply for Vancouver, but it's not like Benning couldn't shed salary. If your GM is determined to keep guys like Sbisa over a talent like Lindholm, you need a new GM. Yesterday.

And yes. Lindholm has a much higher ceiling than Horvat and Hutton. He's a 22-year old top pairing defenseman, with lots of room to grow. What does a top pairing defenseman grow into? A #1? A potential elite #1? Yes, he has a higher ceiling. Hutton and Horvat's realistic ceiling is, what? What Lindholm already is with Hutton(if we're being generous), and a #2 center?

Last edited:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I can obviously see why Ducks fans would turn down that deal, trading Lindholm seems crazy.

But, people who say the value is terrible are simply wrong. I think it stems more from people not knowing much about Ben Hutton more than anything.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I can obviously see why Ducks fans would turn down that deal, trading Lindholm seems crazy.

But, people who say the value is terrible are simply wrong. I think it stems more from people not knowing much about Ben Hutton more than anything.

I don't think the value is terrible. It's solid value, if we're looking just at value. I'm not convinced it's quite enough, but that's not really the point. The point is that Anaheim would be trading an already great player, and a potentially elite one, for two smaller, but good pieces.

I'm not going to pretend it's easy to acquire good assets, because GM's don't want to just give those away, but an elite talent is much, much harder to come by. Lindholm is already a key contributor for Anaheim, and he has the potential to be even better. If he were moved, and let's add a lot of emphasis to "if" here, the Ducks would need someone who, at the very least, has the potential(realistically, not in someone's dreams) to be an equivalent talent.

This isn't like going to the bank with a hundred dollar bill, and asking for 20's. Or even 50's. When you have 20 players on your roster, you need as many hundred dollars bills as you can get. This is even more true when you realize that those 20 players breakdown to about 6-10 key players who see big minutes, and big responsibilities.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko, Sedins @ 50%

for

Lindholm, Stoner @ 1.37%, Bieksa @ -0.9%.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
josh manson is better than hutton

Being a Ducks fan, I would have thought you guys would watch more Canucks games...

Well at least he'll be a surprise to the league. And I honestly, like I said, can't WAIT to link to this thread in the future. It's going to be glorious as I bathe in your tears.

I know the Canucks are the league's laughing stock, and rightfully so, but Hutton is one of our only few bright spots, and a large one at that. Ben Hutton along with Bo Horvat are the only things that will get me to watch nearly every game this season

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I agree Hutton is quite underrated and has been for some time, he was excellent in college and stepped in as a top 4 defenseman this year almost seamlessly. But he's not on Lindholm's level at the moment.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
We can call this the Benning effect. I have sympathy for all Canucks fans, we saw this with Oiler fans 10 years ago.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I agree Hutton is quite underrated and has been for some time, he was excellent in college and stepped in as a top 4 defenseman this year almost seamlessly. But he's not on Lindholm's level at the moment.

Thank you for a level headed and non biased response. I can agree with this... Lindholm is obviously better now, but Ducks fans need to understand why Canuck fans are turning this down. Just doesn't make sense for us, and Hutton has a chance of being better than Lindholm eventually.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Thank you for a level headed and non biased response. I can agree with this... Lindholm is obviously better now, but Ducks fans need to understand why Canuck fans are turning this down. Just doesn't make sense for us, and Hutton has a chance of being better than Lindholm eventually.

I suppose a one in a million chance is still a chance.

But realistically, it's never going to happen.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't know enough about Hutton to say for sure whether the Anaheim deal is a fair one or not. That said Horvat is a player although Anaheim already has Getzlaf and Kesler albeit both are in their 30's.

The 2nd deal would be a tough one for Tampa to turn down IMO, the pick could be very high even if Bishop stands on his head due to Vancouver losing a big piece up front in Horvat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad