Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ilya Mikheyev to 4-Year Deal ($4.75M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Maybe if you have everyone ignored who didn't like Benning, the thread looks like everyone liked it?

What kind of maniac ignores the people here who didn't like Benning? Do you think I want to sit around and read old Russian Racket posts all day?

And the thread is littered with people who don't like it.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What kind of maniac ignores the people here who didn't like Benning? Do you think I want to sit around and read old Russian Racket posts all day?

And the thread is littered with people who don't like it.

Just my theory on why someone would link that thread and claim everyone liked the Poolman signing :laugh:

Reactions: m9

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
21 Goals +16 on 61% defensive zone starts. Solid production playing behind some great forwards in Toronto, a tad similar to Miller in Tampa. Thought he was impressive in the playoffs against Tampa put up 2 goals and 2 assists in 7 games on 73% defensive zone starts. Tavares as a comparable, gifted many offensive opportunities and PP time finished with 27 goals, was a -8 with 67% offensive zone starts. Really like this signing.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
21 Goals +16 on 61% defensive zone starts. Solid production playing behind some great forwards in Toronto, a tad similar to Miller in Tampa. Thought he was impressive in the playoffs against Tampa put up 2 goals and 2 assists in 7 games on 73% defensive zone starts. Tavares as a comparable, gifted many offensive opportunities and PP time finished with 27 goals, was a -8 with 67% offensive zone starts. Really like this signing.
see my post on the last page of this thread, zone starts are overblown

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Was hoping we would keep Garland, but this guys even strength production and contract look very much like Garland’s, though Mikheyev is a good penalty killer, so maybe an upgrade on Garland. Garland didn’t seem happy here so maybe he quietly asked for a trade. Miller and Garland package for a top 2 or 3 RD?

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
He's an improving player but tad bit much...however I rather overpay Mikayev a bit over Dickinson/Pearson at least he shows potential and has good effort level

Reactions: Burnaby Schmo

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
  • Haha
Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Thats a disgusting contract. Way would have rather signed Marchment for that hit
Mikheyev is a very solid player. Very strong two-way impacts and will help the PK. Brings a lot of speed and forechecking help.

His lack of scoring is overblown. On an ES rate basis, he's as productive as Bo Horvat. He'll help the team and the contract is fair.

The issue is that this deal just reminds me of shades of Benning: What the heck is that actual plan here? They've capped themselves out and haven't added any futures, no 3C, and the blueline is still shambles.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Zone start stats aren't of value in and of themselves, their value is the window into a player's usage.

Mikheyev is a high-leverage guy used in the toughest situations on his team. And kills it in that usage.
Fair enough.

I still find them to get over sensationalized by quotes like the one above stating that he had "61% d-zone starts" when in reality only 15% of his shifts started with d-zone faceoffs

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I was even decently positive on it. That was also before they decided to sign the exact same player 3 more times.

I think my exact comments in the Poolman thread were that signing depth guys like Poolman to multi-year deals makes no sense, especially when the one thing Benning has been decent with is signing depth guys to 1-2 year deals. And then he did it again with Schenn & Burroughs.

In terms of Dickinson, I didn't mind the trade but I only wanted him signed for 1 year to see how he did in our system before committing to him. But, I would pretty much never give a guy more than 2 years if I've never seen him play in my city/lineup/system.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
To be clear, it's not that Mikheyev is a bad player. It's just that justifying this signing requires you to divorce yourself from his cap hit and this team's most important needs.

This team is cap strapped and needed either a legitimate 3C or a shutdown RD. He is neither of that. People talking about his season last year and expecting a 14% shooting percentage to be anything near sustainable are likely in for severe disappointment when he likely pots 15G 18A 33P. Spending 4.75 on something that wasn't a core need as a 3C or RD is unacceptable. Look at Vegas. They pay their top 6 forwards and the only guy they pay in their bottom 6 is their 3C, Chandler Stephenson. That cap structure works for a reason.

Good management either get guys like Hansen to sign team-friendly deals or walk from guys like Blake Coleman when they want to get paid rather than overpay. Anything you say about Mikheyev involves the same logic the Flames used when they gave Coleman the bag, only for him to disappoint relative to his cap hit. It's not that Coleman is a bad player or showed significant regression, it's the fact that bad organizations make it a habit to smell their own farts and convince themselves that "if he has a bigger role" or "well, he did this one thing one time" and ignore the bigger picture.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
f***ing groce.

Idk whats going on but this is disappointing and disgusting.
Great for the PK, bad for everything else, what a waste of money on a fast bottom 6 energy player with no finish.

Awful benning move at the wrong time.
Jfc

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
That is some revisionist history
Who was celebrating Poolman?

There were people almost giddy at the thought that Benning had just executed some sort of 5D Chess Genius Move with our defense ("imagine the look on people's faces") or that we're all dumb idiots because Benning is (WAS, hahaha) a GM and 'cup contending teams' "need" guys with size. Hell, @Mr. Canucklehead said Poolman was his "#1 target." (To be clear: he wasn't part of the former group I had described.)

It absolutely was not revisionist history. Yes, the vast majority of people were ambivalent or negative on the deal, but there were folks (the usual suspects) who were celebrating it.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough.

I still find them to get over sensationalized by quotes like the one above stating that he had "61% d-zone starts" when in reality only 15% of his shifts started with d-zone faceoffs

I just use the number for context. If a guy is getting '65% o-zone starts' even if that isn't technically correct it's a great way to understand that this is a guy getting put into soft-usage offensive looks. And conversely guys at 30% you know are being trusted by coaches and being put into high-leverage minutes.

Reactions: Nucker101

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i don't hate the player or the contract but the canucks have far too much salary tied up in non-elite wingers now. nearly 25 million on garland, boeser, mikheyev, pearson and dickerson. over 30 mil if you include jt miller's absurdly efficient contract. at least one of boeser or garland and one of pearson and dickerson needs to be moved now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad