Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Canes won't be a tier-1 team this year, but they'll still be good. They lost a lot, but they still have Aho, Necas, Jarvis, and Svechnikov up front (and all of them are 27 or younger), plus Slavin, Burns, Orlov and Walker on D. They're going to be more of a 2-line, 2-pairing team than they were last year, but they should still be one of the non-wildcard slots in the Metro.
Necas asked for a trade.

There’s a lot going on in that organization. I hope it doesn’t work out.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Neva’s asked for a trade.
For the time being he's still a Hurricane (and is going to salary arbitration, so he won't get offered sheeted). If they were going to trade him, the draft or day 1 of free agency were the golden opportunities, so I think it's likely they couldn't get a deal done and he's probably in Raleigh to start the season.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I think there's numbers that are already in the rafters that are less deserving than Oshie, but given the organization's stalling on putting 12 and 37 in the rafters and the fact that this era of Capitals players will already be putting 8 and 19 in the rafters, I'm hard pressed to say that 77 goes up there. Same with 70 or 74.

Retiring 5 numbers from a team that won a single Cup is.... a lot.
I think Carlson is far more deserving than Oshie and Holtby and he’s going to be the franchise leader in a whole lot of categories for Caps defensemen.

If Backstrom gets his number retired than Carlson should too.

For the time being he's still a Hurricane (and is going to salary arbitration, so he won't get offered sheeted). If they were going to trade him, the draft or day 1 of free agency were the golden opportunities, so I think it's likely they couldn't get a deal done and he's probably in Raleigh to start the season.
I don’t know. The fact that it went public like this means there’s some tension there. I think both parties want to split.

But who knows, I guess we’ll see.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I think there's numbers that are already in the rafters that are less deserving than Oshie, but given the organization's stalling on putting 12 and 37 in the rafters and the fact that this era of Capitals players will already be putting 8 and 19 in the rafters, I'm hard pressed to say that 77 goes up there. Same with 70 or 74.

Retiring 5 numbers from a team that won a single Cup is.... a lot.
Yeah they've retired too many numbers already but agree that 8 and 19 will need to go up. Wish they would create an intermediary type thing like Ring of Honor or something so a player and his number are recognized but not full on retired.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hunter's 32 was retired in Ted's first year so I'm not sure if he made that call or if it was made for him, or beforehand.
Was Mike Gartner retired? I faintly remember going to a game and there being a ceremony for him but I can’t remember if it was jersey retirement or a ring of honor type thing

Reactions: Hivemind

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Was Mike Gartner retired? I faintly remember going to a game and there being a ceremony for him but I can’t remember if it was jersey retirement or a ring of honor type thing
There was a ceremony a few seasons back before a game for his time as a cap but don't recall much else of the particulars. I mean for some of the old caps players who went on greater heights with other franchises it is interesting to see who gets later acknowledgment. I mean have we seen anything related to Scott Stevens after he left.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Has Ted retired any numbers? Between Wizards and Capitals I don’t think he has
The Capitals retired Mike Gartner's number in 2008 (so in the Ted era).

There was a pre-game ceremony for Dino Cicarelli a few years back (or probably a decade at this point), but his number wasn't retired.

Yeah they've retired too many numbers already but agree that 8 and 19 will need to go up. Wish they would create an intermediary type thing like Ring of Honor or something so a player and his number are recognized but not full on retired.
Yeah, if it were up to me - 5, 8, 11, 12, 19, and 37 would be retired. Labre, Hunter, Cicarelli, Calle Johasson, Maruk, Carlson, Oshie, and Holtby would be the ring of honor guys.

Reactions: hb13xchamps

crab

Jan 26, 2019
For the Metro I see it as follows:

Tier 1
New Jersey (solid additions in offseason and young core maturing)

Tier 2
New York Rangers (highly dependent on Shesterkin or would be lower and Lavi tends to get diminished results the longer he is with a team)
Carolina (significant losses in the offseason)

Tier 3
Washington (solid additions in offseason)

Tier 4
New York Islanders (old roster no improvements, highly dependent on goaltending and Roy will get diminished results over time)
Pittsburg (old roster, no young talent and dependent on aging injury prone stars that had completely healthy seasons last year and still missed the playoffs)
Philly (expect the trend from the end of last season to continue, Torts will be fired during the season)

Tier 5
Columbus

Reactions: um

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
8, 19 for sure. 74 probably and I'm hard pressed to find a reason not to do 70 if we're that sure 37 goes up. Holtby was better in every way than Kolzig, owns more records, has a vezina, holds the NHL record for most wins in a single season, is statistically one of the best playoff goalies in NHL history and most importantly broght a cup to DC. Kolzig had better longevity than Braden but that's about it. His body quit on him towards the end in DC which inevitably led to his early retirement.

Last edited:
Reactions: hb13xchamps

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
There was a time when the Caps had an aol email address that Ted answered and I emailed about retiring Bondra’s number, he wrote back and said I was a clown
I love Bondra. First ever jersey I bought at the time when I didn't really have the money to do so. That said don't think his number should retired.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
For anyone still heartbroken about CapFriendly going away...PuckPedia released their Armchair GM tool yesterday called PuckGM. It's really similar, I might even like it a little better at least on the mobile platform. Less glitchy. Might as well get used to it now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad