Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
I doubt any of these guys would be a fit in Ottawa but I find it surprising that Lankinen, Barabanov and Sprong are still available. My two favored affordable options for the Sens would be Sammy Blais and Justin Schultz but it wouldn't surprise if we're standing pat at this point.
In looking at point totals for Sammy Blais, his year over year point totals are certainly interesting:

1720622535964.png

Goes from 20pts in 31 games in 22-23 to 7pts in 53 games in 23-24.

That is quite a swing. 20p in 31 games is 50+ points over a full season and 31 games is a good sample size.

Can't say I know a lot about the player but definitely seems to check some boxes for us in terms of bringing a solid 4th liner:

Won a Cup with STL in 18-19 (with Perron as teammate), has some size at 6'2 & 210lbs, is just 28y/o but has played in the league for 7 years. Seems like he would not be out of place jumping up to the 3rd line, if necessary. Interesting option.

Reactions: NB613 and Laphroaig

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
How would you guys feel about Stutzle for Robert Thomas if the scenario was emotionally manipulating Brady Tkachuk to stay here?

Obviously, this is salacious offseason fantasy discussion that isn't based off any rumors. If it makes it more fun I can make a Tweet from my fake rumor Twitter account, but I've been hitting on too much stuff lately and now some people think I'm a legit insider so I have to be careful.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
How would you guys feel about Stutzle for Robert Thomas if the scenario was emotionally manipulating Brady Tkachuk to stay here?

Obviously, this is salacious offseason fantasy discussion that isn't based off any rumors. If it makes it more fun I can make a Tweet from my fake rumor Twitter account, but I've been hitting on too much stuff lately and now some people think I'm a legit insider so I have to be careful.
Trade value aside, I don't want a captain I need to emotionally manipulate to be here.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
In looking at point totals for Sammy Blais, his year over year point totals are certainly interesting:

View attachment 893824

Goes from 20pts in 31 games in 22-23 to 7pts in 53 games in 23-24.

That is quite a swing. 20p in 31 games is 50+ points over a full season and 31 games is a good sample size.

Can't say I know a lot about the player but definitely seems to check some boxes for us in terms of bringing a solid 4th liner:

Won a Cup with STL in 18-19 (with Perron as teammate), has some size at 6'2 & 210lbs, is just 28y/o but has played in the league for 7 years. Seems like he would not be out of place jumping up to the 3rd line, if necessary. Interesting option.

20 points in 31 games with the Blues but 5 points in 40 games with the Rangers.

He's a 4th liner. Would be a decent depth add but I don't know if Staios will add anymore help at forward.

I figure Gregor, Gaudette, Jenik, MacEwen, Crookshank, Jarventie, Halliday, Ostapchuk and Highmore will battle it out for the 4th line spots.

What we need badly is another decent depth D. Not sure why Staios has sat on his hands while plenty of good options have gone elsewhere.

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

No.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Thomas is one of the few other C's who's could make moving Stu be tolerable, but there have to be other valuable assets coming back for Ottawa given Stu's offensive potential. Plus Stu isn't exactly crap defensively either, so Thomas isn't that much of an upgrade. I hope that trade never happens lol

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I doubt any of these guys would be a fit in Ottawa but I find it surprising that Lankinen, Barabanov and Sprong are still available. My two favored affordable options for the Sens would be Sammy Blais and Justin Schultz but it wouldn't surprise if we're standing pat at this point.

Schultz and Blais would be decent, but would cost too much. No to Sprong and Barbonov, they're defensively horrid.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Here is something that might be worth keeping an eye on.

Eamon Powell decided to return to Boston College for a 5th season. If I understand it correctly then he could let his rights (which are held by Tampa Bay) expire after the season ends and then sign with any NHL team of his choosing.

Why it is notable is that Powell played on the USNTDP with Jake Sanderson and Tyler Kleven, and of significant consequence he was paired with Kleven and they had great chemistry. Here is a right shot d man who is the captain of his NCAA team and just put up 38 points in 40 games.

If Powell does become a UFA I wonder if he wants to join Sanderson and Kleven, and try to recapture the chemistry he had with Kleven as a d pairing back in their USNTDP days.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Here is something that might be worth keeping an eye on.

Eamon Powell decided to return to Boston College for a 5th season. If I understand it correctly then he could let his rights (which are held by Tampa Bay) expire after the season ends and then sign with any NHL team of his choosing.

Why it is notable is that Powell played on the USNTDP with Jake Sanderson and Tyler Kleven, and of significant consequence he was paired with Kleven and they had great chemistry. Here is a right shot d man who is the captain of his NCAA team and just put up 38 points in 40 games.

If Powell does become a UFA I wonder if he wants to join Sanderson and Kleven, and try to recapture the chemistry he had with Kleven as a d pairing back in their USNTDP days.
He would be a solid pickup. A 4th to Tampa for his rights would be decent value. Undersized but he is a RD.

Reactions: BigRig4

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
forgen Braden Schenn, gimme Luke Schenn on our third pairing and we'll be the handing out hits like holy offering at the temple

Reactions: DJB

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Reactions: BigRig4

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Who’s left in FA?

lol gonna be an agent firing soon I think. When was the last time something was this botched?

Maybe tarasenko last year when he had to settle for a deal with us lol
Probably no one, I'll take a look.

EDIT: I don't wish to look anymore. I only see Shattenkirk.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
That's not a third pairing guy though, we need a third pairing guy.

Absolutely. From the thread Current state of Sens roster formation ...

Team Needs:
1. Goalie (Ullmark)
2. Second pairing Defensive RD (Jensen)
3. Veteran Physical/shutdown D-MAN (bottom-6, RD preferred)
4. Veteran bottom 6 forward (Amadio, Gregor)
5. A top-9 forward who can chip in offensively (Perron)

I think a veteran physical and shutdown type 3rd pairing guy is still the missing link from this team being playoff bound. Someone to play with Kleven to teach him the ropes at this level, kill penalties and play 14-16 minutes a night behind the top-4.

Need JBD to take the next step and Kleven a huge leap from having an effective tag-team on the bottom-pair. Hamonic is fine as a bench warmer, but hope for everyone's sake that he is healthy and able to be used on a pinch when injuries hit. His experience cannot hurt him from taking a teaching role for young Kleven.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Team Needs:
1. Goalie (Ullmark)

I think a veteran physical and shutdown type 3rd pairing guy is still the missing link from this team being playoff bound. Someone to play with Kleven to teach him the ropes at this level, kill penalties and play 14-16 minutes a night behind the top-4.

Need JBD to take the next step and Kleven a huge leap from having an effective tag-team on the bottom-pair.
Yes please.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Someone posted in another thread and suggest Jan Rutta from the Sharks.

JBD for Rutta would make sense as a base. I doubt Rutta has a lot of trade value. The Senators could roll with a 21 player roster and be cap compliant, although it would be tight. JBD has more team control and would get a legitimate chance to play bigger minutes in the Sharks.

Max Milk

Jun 2, 2023

Team Needs:
1. Goalie (Ullmark)

Need JBD to take the next step and Kleven a huge leap from having an effective tag-team on the bottom-pair. Hamonic is fine as a bench warmer, but hope for everyone's sake that he is healthy and able to be used on a pinch when injuries hit. His experience cannot hurt him from taking a teaching role for young Kleven.
Yes please.
Is there anyone better than Hamonic left in the UFA discount bin? Justin Schultz?

Reactions: bicboi64

Ad

Ad

Ad