Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He does in fact, have 7 years left.

Last season was the first year of his new deal.

His contract does have a full no move that turns into a partial beginning 2027-28.

This is my bad. I saw the below and thought it ended the year after and missed the 2031 part...

1720639141894.png

At $6.25m, that's not an unreasonable cap hit moving forward, even is his play drops to that of a 2nd pairing guy towards the end of his deal.

jacko23

Powerplay Merchant
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
Not reading the last 5 pages of this abomination thread but you guys have inspired me to quickly construct my all time Rongos team:

Marcel Hossa - Olli Jokinen - Krav

Enver Lisin - Scott Gomez - Nigel Dawes

Tanner Glass - SC Champ Brett Howden - Sjostrom

Brendan Smith - Cory Locke - Aaron Voros

Roszival - Redden

Kotalik - Bickel

Staal - Girardi (2019)

Brendan Smith

Ah, shit I forgot Kotalik was a winger but I’m keeping this as is.

I know it's all juts a bit of fun, but it is so hard to pick the theme of this lineup, it feels so random.
Hossa but no Federov?
Dawes, a 5th rounder who almost made it, but no Lias Andersson?
Gomez but not his signing buddy Drury?
2 Brendan Smiths (although I guess we did both trade for him and then re-sign him for too much)?
Roszival seems very out of place.
Avery ended up going full Rongo, Kris Newbury was a thing for a little while, as was 'Wraparounds' Frolov. The whole Tim Erixon thing was pretty Rongo as well...
Christian Backman? Ryan Clowe? Jarrett Stoll? Bobby Sanguinetti? Dylan McIlrath?

We have such a deep D corps if this is the requirement...

• Haha
Reactions: Rongomania

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Damnit, knew I forgot someone! It is funny though, shows you how little room there is for young guys. In reality there is likely only one spot available to Othmann/Berard/Rempe/Edstrom. That's assuming Carrick gets an every day spot.

Unless we start getting lucky again, assuming an average of 1 forward injury each game is a pretty conservative play.

There will be A LOT of opportunities unless Drury pulls put some late moves.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Thats exactly the type of offense we need from the fourth line. We dont get that type of offense from any of the other lines. Dump it in, hit a defenseman, go to the net. I think rempe is capable of that.

As big as he is, that should be a natural part of his game, but creating chances and keeping opposing team honest will help this team alot more than sweeping the floor and hoping something hits you.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Why would Calgary be looking to move Weegar? This is a BIG, and I mean B-I-G, reach by someone looking for clicks. It'll take a lot more than Kakko, Sykora and a few middling picks and there's no reason for Calgary to be looking to part ways with him. I don't see it. And his cap hit is pretty awesome to boot.

Reactions: LynnLoins

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Why would Calgary be looking to move Weegar? This is a BIG, and I mean B-I-G, reach by someone looking for clicks. It'll take a lot more than Kakko, Sykora and a few middling picks and there's no reason for Calgary to be looking to part ways with him. I don't see it. And his cap hit is pretty awesome to boot.

If they're looking to tear it down, it would make sense.

But yeah, it'd take a lot more than that.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
If Calgary was looking to entertain offers on Kadri, it would make some sense to take offers on Weegar as well.

I don't see the correlation. Weegar is still getting better and has a great contract. Not sure who's looking for a 36, 37, & 38 year old Kadri @ 7M per.

And, even if they were tearing it down to the studs, Kakko, Sykora and a few middle round picks gets Calgary to hang up on you.

Think Perrault, Kakko, and next year's 1st as the beginning of the conversation.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
That Weegar thing is BS. I read the stupid blog post and the writers were throwing crap at the wall. They didn't claim to hear anything.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
That Weegar thing is BS. I read the stupid blog post and the writers were throwing crap at the wall. They didn't claim to hear anything.
Oh I know it's BS I just really, really like the player so am hoping to will it into existence.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't see the correlation. Weegar is still getting better and has a great contract. Not sure who's looking for a 36, 37, & 38 year old Kadri @ 7M per.

And, even if they were tearing it down to the studs, Kakko, Sykora and a few middle round picks gets Calgary to hang up on you.

Think Perrault, Kakko, and next year's 1st as the beginning of the conversation.

I mean, Weegar's contract runs until he is 37 and they are unlikely to compete for the next couple of years. So it wouldn't be that shocking to see them trade him while they can for good value. I'm not commenting on the return, just the thought process.

It's also possible that Weegar asked to be moved so that he can compete if he sees the team being ripped down to the studs.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Matheson is a rich mans Neal Pionk. Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of opinion.
I wouldn’t say that’s a bad thing when it’s pertaining to someone who’s 6’2, is a great skater, and moves the puck well. If Laviolette wants guys that can push the pace offensively, Matheson fits the mold way better than Lindgren.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Christian Backman? Ryan Clowe? Jarrett Stoll? Bobby Sanguinetti? Dylan McIlrath?

We have such a deep D corps if this is the requirement...
The Ryane Clowe saga was a doozy.

—Sather trades a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th (wonder where Drury gets his habit of throwing away draft picks like candy) for him when he had zero goals on the season
—He scores two goals against Pitt in the game where Brass and John Moore also scored after getting traded here
—He plays 12 games here then gets concussed and misses the rest of the season + playoffs
—After losing to Boston, Torts gives the presser where he says it was hard for the team to compete against them when we were missing our Lucic (Clowe) and our Chara (Staal) (lol…)
—Dagoon allegedly runs into Sather at the draft and asks about Clowe to which Sather laughs and calls him damaged goods
—He signs a 5 year contract with NJ, plays 56 games over two seasons, and is forced to retire due to concussion issues

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Mollie discussed how Kreider and Zibanejad are not easy players to play with. Breaking them up is not easy,

Cerny mentioned how Panarin and Mika continue to disappear in the playoffs(Florida series). The Rangers are trying to win with their two highest paid forwards belonging on milk cartons when the playoffs arrive. Good luck.

Igor contract. $10.5M-$12M.

Lindgren. Fox's buddy. Help us. It's a priority. Term is the issue.

Rangers aren't sold on Jones.

No depth on D in the organization

Big moves are coming at the trade deadline. Oh boy. So stupid.

This team is doomed. Players get upset over Goodrow. Cap issues. No depth. No draft picks. NMC/ NTC. Players who disappear in the playoffs and can't be moved. The Rangers aren't winning the Cup. Let's be realistic.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Ad

Ad

Ad