Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Feels much different with Oshie. He clearly told management to do what they need to do with Cap space because there really isn’t any option other than him being on LTIR. Moving Milano and TVR won’t clear enough space.
Oh but it does, if they go that route. Per Cap Friendly — they are $4,106,667 over the Cap.

Milano and TVR = 4.9mil. And they’d have room to add a min salary forward.

Not ideal, but it’s possible

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Oh but it does, if they go that route. Per Cap Friendly — they are $4,106,667 over the Cap.

Milano and TVR = 4.9mil. And they’d have room to add a min salary forward.

Not ideal, but it’s possible
Fair, but you need to add two bodies to have 13F and 8D. They could also bury Bear in AHL to free up another million. So as you said, possible but difficult and messy. I just don’t think Caps would have done that without Oshie’s input on his health. And it just feels different with Oshie.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I mean, at first blush, it’s nepotism at its finest. The “big bosses” kid gets a big job. Shocker, news at 11.

Agreed, it is what it is, but he just needs to prove it now. No one gives a shit about Kyle Shanahan's pedigree anymore. Helped him get the first job, but he had to earn it from there. This guy's had real jobs in the organization for a long time. I just hope his style is similar to Mac's -- I like that our GM avoided cameras and played everything close to the vest.

I also am not thrilled GMBM isn’t GMBM. He’s PBM. With GMCP. I don’t know…….

It feels ceremonial. When they knight a guy in the UK, they don't stop calling him by his name. They just add the Sir. So Mac is President GMBM, or PGMBM. I'm sticking with Mac though, and the new guy has to do something worthwhile with his name on it before I start calling him anything.

DISCLAIMER: Unless he does what I suggested and does the job exactly like Mac, in which case he's a carbon copy. And if he's a carbon copy, then he's CCCP, and that's some Soviet commie shit right there. Wait... Commie, Commanders, Ovi's connection to Putin... It's a DC conspiracy. Call Alex Jones, STAT!

😜

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Taking a last run with CapFriendly before it’s gone. Took a stab at lines as well with full 23 man roster (13F-8D-2G). $5,000 under the cap! Haha

IMG_0086.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Fair, but you need to add two bodies to have 13F and 8D. They could also bury Bear in AHL to free up another million. So as you said, possible but difficult and messy. I just don’t think Caps would have done that without Oshie’s input on his health. And it just feels different with Oshie.
Oh I agree with you, much as I hate it. Productive/Healthy Oshie would be a big lift for this team. They lose so much — arguably as important as any player on the roster — but it is what it is.

My hope is that he sincerely looks at options, no matter how long it takes, and magically can Kucherov if/when we make the playoffs.

That would be our best “deadline” addition.

That’s a reach though, of which I am *well* aware.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Taking a last run with CapFriendly before it’s gone. Took a stab at lines as well with full 23 man roster (13F-8D-2G). $5,000 under the cap! Haha

View attachment 893756
Yeah, that’s the team. I’d switch CMM and Lappy, but that’s it.

That’s a pretty good team, IMO. Heckuva lot more dynamic and — seemingly — cohesive. Especially the defense.

Will be fun to see it work. Probably very frustrating too, as there will be some messy times, with all the new faces learning each other.

Reactions: DWGie26

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Yeah, that’s the team. I’d switch CMM and Lappy, but that’s it.

That’s a pretty good team, IMO. Heckuva lot more dynamic and — seemingly — cohesive. Especially the defense.

Will be fun to see it work. Probably very frustrating too, as there will be some messy times, with all the new faces learning each other.
I couple of weeks ago i had Lappy at wing. Kinda changed my mind reading articles and press conferences and one thing that made sense is not messing with Lappy mojo coming off Calder MVP. And then Carberry saying McMichael can easily transition to wing which is probably what his initial thoughts are. He knows McMike well.

I think you (and others) mentioned this before but so many options to move people up and down the lineup and left and right two additional center options in top 12. Lots of opportunities to find the right chemistry.

We almost didn’t renew our seasons tickets. now I’m feeling really good and excited about it!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
3. Washington Capitals
Net Rating added: +31
Salary added: $16 million

Key Additions: Andrew Mangiapane, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Brandon Duhaime, Matt Roy, Jakob Chychrun, Logan Thompson
Key Departures: Max Pacioretty, Nicolas Aube-Kubel, Beck Malenstyn, Nick Jensen, Darcy Kuemper

The Capitals refuse to go quietly into the night. One of the league’s oldest teams looked destined for the basement as a prime regression candidate, but after a busy summer, Washington has added enough reinforcements to stay in the playoff mix.

The Capitals made the playoffs with a minus-37 goal differential and the odds of them repeating that feat looked slim. They recognized that and bolstered their lineup heavily, adding enough goals to move up the East’s hierarchy considerably. This group looks average-ish, and that gives them an OK playoff chance going into next year. Both Andrew Mangiapane and Pierre-Luc Dubois give the Capitals some top-six oomph that’s been missing the last few years. Even more importantly, they made some serious upgrades on the blue line with Matt Roy and Jakob Chychrun, both of whom grade out as top-pair caliber. The duo seriously strengthens the team’s top four and the Chychrun trade in particular was quite a coup with an in-decline Nick Jensen going the other way. Washington’s lineup isn’t the belle of the ball, but it definitely looks a lot more formidable now.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Reactions: Serial_Derecho

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Just use PuckPedia, they have a new ArmchairGM tool. Its really not that big of a downgrade. In fact on mobile devices I like the GM tool better. They're really cranking out the upgrades right now to fill the void and get on the same level.

Jun 15, 2007
It’s so weird having a big offseason and buying cap friendly. We are usually the most low key team relative to media market size.

It’s a good feeling tbh.

Reactions: max21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad