Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Screenshot_20240712-191136.png

AlexBrovechkin : This board is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

MMC : What do you mean, "biblical"?

g00n : What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.

AlexBrovechkin: Exactly.

g00n: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Usiel: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Insert_another_HFCaps_mod_name_here: The dead rising from the grave!

AlexBrovechkin: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!

MMC : All right, all right! I get the point!

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Carolina at 4 is the most interesting to me. Much like their drafting, definitely doesn't align with the general narrative around the team! Don't think they're in real danger of missing the playoffs this year but that forward group isn't great and I think their window could end much sooner than expected.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
View attachment 894573

AlexBrovechkin : This board is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

MMC : What do you mean, "biblical"?

g00n : What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.

AlexBrovechkin: Exactly.

g00n: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Usiel: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Insert_another_HFCaps_mod_name_here: The dead rising from the grave!

AlexBrovechkin: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!

MMC : All right, all right! I get the point!
where did mmc come from in all this? :laugh::laugh:

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
where did mmc come from in all this? :laugh::laugh:
A set of circumstances involving alcohol and me feeling creative but without having any desire to put any real effort into it (see also alcohol.)

The original quotes attributed to MMC are said by the mayor. I guess I spend too much time on the trade board because when I thought of a mayor like figure on HF, MMC was the first name that came to mind. And I was too lazy to go find a 'better' choice.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ha I thought us buying Cap Friendly was some sort of joke here. Maybe Brian subliminally wanted to buy Cap friendly because it has "Cap" in the name. "Maybe it'll be a good marketing angle some day" - Ted as he is gobbling up every Cap*.* domain name possible. /joking

However I do boldly predict we have some sort of cap snafu since it shouldn't require a team of experts to do this stuff. Hiring 3 guys buying out a company sure seems overkill. Curious why doesn't the league provide a program or cap calculator they use, free for teams? NHL.com should have bought the domain. I'd be stunned if AI can't learn the rules and do the dirty work.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Ha I thought us buying Cap Friendly was some sort of joke here. Maybe Brian subliminally wanted to buy Cap friendly because it has "Cap" in the name. "Maybe it'll be a good marketing angle some day" - Ted as he is gobbling up every Cap*.* domain name possible. /joking

However I do boldly predict we have some sort of cap snafu since it shouldn't require a team of experts to do this stuff. Hiring 3 guys buying out a company sure seems overkill. Curious why doesn't the league provide a program or cap calculator they use, free for teams? NHL.com should have bought the domain. I'd be stunned if AI can't learn the rules and do the dirty work.
From what I remember of Friedman's reporting and what people have posted here, the league has its own system but it's very bare-bones and has some heavy security measures in place so it's not easy or fast to use. Not the kinda thing you want to be relying on during the flurry of activity around the trade deadline, the draft, or the start of free agency.

Also, it's been reported that multiple teams were working on buying CF, so the Caps were in a position where they could either buy it themselves or hire developers to build them their own version, which would still be expensive and would take a while and who knows if the end product is as good as CF? The guys they've hired are proven to be really good developers and to know hockey really well (at least two of them have worked in NHL front offices in the past) which isn't a common combination, so I'm sure they can put them to work on other stuff too. Maybe with the analytics department? Maybe they design a web portal for the scouts to standardize and aggregate their reports? Maybe they help the Caps pull some of the cap shenanigans Vegas is known for? I think there's a lot of value in the move, and all it cost was some of Ted's money.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Maybe GM knew about Kuzy before TDL and contrary to everyone's beliefs, maybe all moves were done without the assumption that Osh is going to LTIR. Just wishful thinking here. I know they still need more cap space and spot on the roster.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Maybe GM knew about Kuzy before TDL and contrary to everyone's beliefs, maybe all moves were done without the assumption that Osh is going to LTIR. Just wishful thinking here. I know they still need more cap space and spot on the roster.
Was about to say the same thing. Nobody here expected positive value for Kuzy with an extra year left on his contract, even with 50% retention. Made especially little sense for Carolina heading into an offseason they knew would be a cap crunch. But Kuzy with a move the KHL lined up making it essentially an expiring contract? That's a 0-risk gamble for Carolina that's easily worth a 3rd.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Man, if that's the end of Kuznetsov in the NHL what a wild career the guy had. Came over after all the doubts, filled the hole of 2C that had been open for over a decade, took the monkey off the teams back (Pittsburgh), and probably deserved the Conn Smythe for getting the team to its only ever Stanley Cup victory.

Then after all that just gave up on trying. I just cannot wrap my head around working your whole life, succeeding, and then just giving up on trying.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I remember when Kuznetsov was deciding on whether to come to the NHL or not, probably back in 2011 or 2012, and there was a translated article where he said something along the lines of him not being interested in playing in the NHL for more than ten years or so. I remember being bummed and concerned when I read that.

I'm happy and relieved (for my team's cap situation) now that I'm hearing it 10 years later. Life can be strange.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Man, if that's the end of Kuznetsov in the NHL what a wild career the guy had. Came over after all the doubts, filled the hole of 2C that had been open for over a decade, took the monkey off the teams back (Pittsburgh), and probably deserved the Conn Smythe for getting the team to its only ever Stanley Cup victory.

Then after all that just gave up on trying. I just cannot wrap my head around working your whole life, succeeding, and then just giving up on trying.

I have to think his getting busted for coke and being banned from playing for Russia had something to do with this slide into Kuzy Don't Care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad