Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
vb20nr.gif

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I do wonder if they'll try to weaponize that space. They could conceivably go out and get a guy like Ehlers, or maybe they knew this was in the cards and that open space is actually space for Oshie to make a return at some point.

Serial_Derecho

Apr 11, 2006
Charles Town, WV
Huh. So 3.9m back. Interesting.

So now they are 10.2m over the Cap. Nick is what — 9.2m? So once he’s LTIR’d, they will be around 1m over the cap.

That’s Bear getting sent down, right? And Oshie staying on active roster

I think this is the most like scenario here. Let Oshie take the rest of the summer to decide his future. No need to spend that $3.9M right now. If Oshie is LTIR'd come camp time, then the have that extra space to make a move at some point in the season.

But.... By my quick math on my spreadsheet. (RIP CapFriendly), leaving Oshie on the Roster, and sending Bear down, would leave them at $33K ABOVE the cap. (also assuming a 22-man roster with Lapierre on it). However, thats marginal, and I think they could work around that some by swapping out Lapierre for someone cheaper for a few games (i.e. Frank)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think this is the most like scenario here. Let Oshie take the rest of the summer to decide his future. No need to spend that $3.9M right now. If Oshie is LTIR'd come camp time, then the have that extra space to make a move at some point in the season.

But.... By my quick math on my spreadsheet. (RIP CapFriendly), leaving Oshie on the Roster, and sending Bear down, would leave them at $33K ABOVE the cap. (also assuming a 22-man roster with Lapierre on it). However, thats marginal, and I think they could work around that some by swapping out Lapierre for someone cheaper for a few games (i.e. Frank)
I was doing round numbers in my head. But you probably nailed it

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
It was tough overcoming Kuzy's on ice events the last 2 years but without him no 802 at home and they'd have had a worse pick in 2023
I can’t for the 30 for 30 about his career: “A Couple of Bumps: The Kuznetsov story”

Anyway, just gonna throw this out there.

Cap savings from the Kuzy retention coming off the books: 3.9M

Difference in cap hit between McMichael and Ehlers: 3.9M

A middle 6 center’s probably Winnipeg’s biggest need right now. McMichael looks like he’s gonna be pushed back to wing here where we know he’s not as effective. The pieces here fit together almost too well.

Last edited:

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
ESPN is doing the best 100 professional athletes since 2000. Ovechkin landed 54th on this absolute joke of a list, which isn’t even finished yet. WNBA players and Skiers ranked ahead of him….

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
That 20-21 season is suspect. He had 29 points in 41 games.

That 15-16 season was a blast, I thought he'd be a superstar. Such a tease that Kuzy is.
18-19 he started out the year dominant, got concussed at some point early in the season, came back no longer interested in dominating.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad