Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
ESPN is doing the best 100 professional athletes since 2000. Ovechkin landed 54th on this absolute joke of a list, which isn’t even finished yet. WNBA players and Skiers ranked ahead of him….

54th? WTAF? I'm fine with WNBA players and skiers if they're really generational talents, but I'm unconvinced.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I can’t for the 30 for 30 about his career: “A Couple of Bumps: The Kuznetsov story”

Anyway, just gonna throw this out there.

Cap savings from the Kuzy retention coming off the books: 3.9M

Difference in cap hit between McMichael and Ehlers: 3.9M

A middle 6 center’s probably Winnipeg’s biggest need right now. McMichael looks like he’s gonna be pushed back to wing here where we know he’s not as effective. The pieces here fit together almost too well.
Ehlers is a UFA next year. He better be resigning if we're sending McMichael over.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
They wouldn't need to send McMichael over for Ehlers, but I would probably do that trade in a heartbeat. He's also exactly the kind of player GMBM should love.

Reality is I think it'd be more likely to do some 2nds and 3rds with Milano tagged along. With Bear sent down they'd basically just need to save 100K on Ehlers contract with Oshie on LTIR.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If they knew Kuzy was going to the KHL and still bridged CMM, and did it super early too, I don't know if they love CMM 3000

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I think 2.1m per for 2yrs is good for 33pt player, who’s only gotta like 50 career points (and is years away from UFA status).
They went long with Pro and Sandin, similar seasons and ages. But it's more possible those guys have a season where you'd have to pay them $7M AAV at 26.

Serial_Derecho

Apr 11, 2006
Charles Town, WV
Another angle on this Kuzy thing. If we rewind back to March, it would have been easy to imagine being stuck with his contract. Instead, BMac finds a taker, and is not able to offload him, but is also able to get a 3rd round pick for him.

But lets imagine that trade never happens... There's no way the Caps are as aggressive as they were this offseason, and Almost certainly, they never end up with Dubios. (Time will tell if thats a good thing or not). But its easy to see a carry down to effect where we dont end up with both/either of Chychrun/Roy either. BMac has been adiment for 2 years of re-working the top 6. I imagine even with Kuzy here, that prioroity still would have existed and BMac would have used those resources on offensive players, albeit likely cheaper than Dubios. (Mangiopane-type players). That in turn, would have left little room for defensive upgrades

Instead, the trade was made, and we have all of Dubios/Roy/Chychrun, PLUS Carolina's third round pick.
Thanks Kuzy! and probably more importanly, thanks Carolina!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Kuzy gambled and lost. He didn't like playing for Lavi... and ended up with Brindamour while the Caps got Carbs.
giphy.gif

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They went long with Pro and Sandin, similar seasons and ages. But it's more possible those guys have a season where you'd have to pay them $7M AAV at 26.
I hear you. We also assume that CMM wanted to go long? He may not have…..at least at a number the Caps wanted.

PLUS the space is limited. My guess is they said “we have around 2m to spend on you…..for next season. How many years makes sense with that?”

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I hear you. We also assume that CMM wanted to go long? He may not have…..at least at a number the Caps wanted.

PLUS the space is limited. My guess is they said “we have around 2m to spend on you…..for next season. How many years makes sense with that?”
It's true he may have wanted a 2 year deal but I thought the timing of the deal was odd at the time because there was no hurry and they didn't know how much space they'd have.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Another angle on this Kuzy thing. If we rewind back to March, it would have been easy to imagine being stuck with his contract. Instead, BMac finds a taker, and is not able to offload him, but is also able to get a 3rd round pick for him.

But lets imagine that trade never happens... There's no way the Caps are as aggressive as they were this offseason, and Almost certainly, they never end up with Dubios. (Time will tell if thats a good thing or not). But its easy to see a carry down to effect where we dont end up with both/either of Chychrun/Roy either. BMac has been adiment for 2 years of re-working the top 6. I imagine even with Kuzy here, that prioroity still would have existed and BMac would have used those resources on offensive players, albeit likely cheaper than Dubios. (Mangiopane-type players). That in turn, would have left little room for defensive upgrades

Instead, the trade was made, and we have all of Dubios/Roy/Chychrun, PLUS Carolina's third round pick.
Thanks Kuzy! and probably more importanly, thanks Carolina!
I think if he wasn't dealt he may have gone the same route or tried to, unless there was some CBA restriction on it. It's possible he could've just sat out the year and collected his salary but more likely GMBM knew he was hot to go back to RU and wanted him out of the building at all costs.

Hard to tell if we'd have been as free to act, but I think Gmbm had a plan regardless.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
more likely GMBM knew he was hot to go back to RU and wanted him out of the building at all costs.

I agree, and it makes the trade make more sense now. It looked like a total shit deal for Carolina at the time, but if all involved knew he wanted to leave for Russia and they could terminate, then the deal was just a 3rd for a potential impact add on an expiring contract -- the kind of light gamble deal contenders make a lot at the deadline.

Not a bad bet for them from that perspective.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I agree, and it makes the trade make more sense now. It looked like a total shit deal for Carolina at the time, but if all involved knew he wanted to leave for Russia and they could terminate, then the deal was just a 3rd for a potential impact add on an expiring contract -- the kind of light gamble deal contenders make a lot at the deadline.

Not a bad bet for them from that perspective.
It does make sense as a rental. But still, it's a leap of faith to assume he'd walk away from $6M when he could just hang around and be useless for a few more months. Kinda surprised he's making this choice, tbh.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
It's true he may have wanted a 2 year deal but I thought the timing of the deal was odd at the time because there was no hurry and they didn't know how much space they'd have.
it was kinda important they got his deal done before FA so they knew how much they could spend at FA (for example, that 2RD we just signed!)

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I wonder how much he’s getting paid at SKA. That said, he’s never been someone that is seemingly motivated by money. From my perspective
true.

Just thinking more about this... we know Kuz enjoys a good high, and I kinda wonder if 2018 ruined the NHL for him. He got the ultimate high and absent another fix, the rest was just a grind.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kuzy will make that $6 mil back and n the KHL…besides, he doesn’t care either way….he got the bulk of his career deal. He’s set for life and that’s been the problem.

Zero motivation, even less pride.

He just strikes me as one of those athletes that’s good at his sport, but doesn’t love it.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Kuzy will make that $6 mil back and n the KHL…besides, he doesn’t care either way….he got the bulk of his career deal. He’s set for life and that’s been the problem.

He just strikes me as one of those athletes that’s good at his sport, but doesn’t love it.
Makes sense he wants to gome home to Russia and not play in NC.
Im kindof surprised he bounced on his BFF Orlov but maybe a month of coach Rod was enough for him.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Carolina continues to take hits. They still need deals for Necas and Jarvis and Necas seems to still be a trade candidate. They could have used that Kuzy cap space to add another forward early in free agency.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Can we get at least one last Kuzy magic gif? @goon He did revive this board and gave us back 3.9m. 🤷‍♂️
a3ef12891434d1a97d124c7faf633904.gif

This is what I said all along...like the 7ft center in basketball who's only playing because he's freakishly tall and was roped into it by coaches/family/peers/etc. I think Mantha is a little like that, too. Some guys who go out on mini tours after college are the same way. They end up hating their sport.

Maybe he really wants to be...a dentist.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Kuzy will always be a hero for 2018. Hell I saw Semin at a caps game, it’s all good.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Kuzy is like the Keyser Soze of the NHL... The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... He's gone...

vJxgGXF.gif

So yeah, our second super enigmatic Russian. Me? I prefer the one that just plain loves it so hard he doesn't care if that love crushes everyone...

sjllYVY.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad