Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ilya Mikheyev to 4-Year Deal ($4.75M AAV)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Very very weird to see a Western Canadian team suddenly becoming the hot spot for Russians.

Indeed. Rutherford and Allvin seem to have manufactured a great relationship with Milstein.

On one hand this is very good leveraging of the market to bring in some quality players.

On the other hand, it does leave us in a position to get absolutely boned if the situation in Russia escalates further.

Cornwallace

Jun 24, 2021
If he's able to put up 25g/20a while being a big part of the PK then he'll be worth the contract.

There's certainly some risk, but I don't think it's likely he regresses so much that the contract turns into an anchor.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Indeed. Rutherford and Allvin seem to have manufactured a great relationship with Milstein.

On one hand this is very good leveraging of the market to bring in some quality players.

On the other hand, it does leave us in a position to get absolutely boned if the situation in Russia escalates further.

The one saving grace is that the players that have been prevented from leaving all had various contract disputes with their Russian clubs. Podkolzin, Mikheyev, and Kuzmenko, as far as we know, don't and are in good standing. As long as Milstein can help keep it that way then everything should be fine for the start of the season.

Still worrisome, though.

Reactions: MS

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i checked in hoping for malkin as a moon shot and got a different russian.

i am absolutely going to give jr and allvin the benefit of the doubt on this and try to keep an open mind, but the money just makes no sense to me. then again neither did the brandon tanev deal and if he could stay healthy that is now a good contract. so stand by.

on the plus side he has some size if not physicality and speed for days that he can use in any role and makes him a pk asset. he has had one decent season. he could be a better hansen or his speed and maturing game could allow him to drive play with a top 6 role and it definitely should be complimentary to our other forwards.

but i have questions.

why don't leaf fans love this guy? this player did not stand out for me on a good team and leaf fans who need depth and overrate their own players more than any other fan group are not heart broken in the least and were concerned about him getting $4m if resigned. they just replaced him with gaudette.

he does not seem to have a record of productivity to justify that salary and in his one good season he has a 2:1 goals to assist ratio which suggests hockey iq limitations pointing to middle six or complimentary player productivity. so was there a bidding war for this guy or how did we get to this number? did we overpay to get this guy because we targetted thiis guy? because the last guy used to do that, and it eventually caught up with him with a bunch of immovable assets.

and, finally, somebody has to go to pay the cap ferryman for this. who? this is clearly a statement about speed. i assume they have shopped dickinson and pearson for months. so does garland go? and, whoever it is, why did we not trade them before we faced a cap crunch that will put blood in the water? this is a case where you need to pay the ferryman before he gets you to the other side.

my comment is that it is yet another player that allvin would have scouted himself in his past role. i am becoming a little worried that this gm is relying on his own background and his own scouting.

which did not work out for the last guy.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I thought he was one of Toronto's best players in the playoffs. It was clear he drove the Kampf-Engvall line, i did not like Engvall much. He was a beast on the puck and forecheck. I think he (like Garland) will win over a lot of fans with his motor/work ethic.

Just curious to see the other shoe drop (trades to make room).

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
The one saving grace is that the players that have been prevented from leaving all had various contract disputes with their Russian clubs. Podkolzin, Mikheyev, and Kuzmenko, as far as we know, don't and are in good standing. As long as Milstein can help keep it that way then everything should be fine for the start of the season.

Still worrisome, though.
Milstein seems like a decent guy. I trust him to help his guys

Reactions: Vector

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I hope people liked Mason Raymond because that is essentially what we have with Mikheyev. Useful player, good tools, not the greatest shot but is very fast (something this team really lacks). I still feel the contract is too heavy.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I thought he was one of Toronto's best players in the playoffs. It was clear he drove the Kampf-Engvall line, i did not like Engvall much. He was a beast on the puck and forecheck. I think he (like Garland) will win over a lot of fans with his motor/work ethic.

Just curious to see the other shoe drop (trades to make room).
thanks for that. i barely watched the leafs playoff games so that makes me feel better.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
Leafs fan here: You'll like Mikheyev overall. Hard worker, good on the PK. Doesn't seem to have much of a scoring instinct - get's lots of chances but isn't great at converting. Also doesn't seem to see the ice all that well and so isn't a great passer. But I think the contract is fair given the market. Even Vatrano got $3.65. Marchment got $4.5 million.

Mikheyev has the physical tools to contribute to the team even if he isn't getting the bounces. Might be somewhat overpaid (as most are coming out of UFA), but he won't weigh the team down and will contribute to winning games.

If the Leafs had a different cap structure, I wouldn't be upset with this signing.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
That is some revisionist history
Who was celebrating Poolman?

Saw a lot of reddit posts trying to explain that he was actually good with all sorts of out of context clips of him making low event plays.

And then of course the usual "optimistic optometrist" crowd on twitter....

Reactions: MS

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If it’s a precursor to a Miller trade, fine, though he’s more of a high-end third liner.

If this is a precursor to a Garland trade, it’s bloody stupid and I hate it.

Reactions: CherryToke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad