Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ilya Mikheyev to 4-Year Deal ($4.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Like the player. Like how he should be able to move up and down the lines. Expensive... But has numbers suggesting that he should earn it and considered as a good value as the cap goes up in season...
Really surprised they made this move now though.
Still expecting Hoglander to go...

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Drance called this about a month ago on the CanucksHour Podcast.

Saw him as a great addition but also predicted he'd likely get 5 mill per or close to it.

Anyways if you go back through the CAnucksHour Podcast with Trance and Dodd you can give it a listen and get a nice recap on why Drance thought he'd be a nice addition, what he offers, and what his limitations are.

He calls him perhaps the fastest player in the league without the puck on his stick.

Says he's not a consistent 20 goal guy because his hands are limited. But, despite not being a guy you can count on to score, he adds a lot defensively and on the forecheck.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Just so you guys are all clear - don’t feel bad at all clowning me about how stoked I was for Poolman. There are a lot of guys with a lot of Ws under their belt here when it comes to talent evaluation (looking at @MS and @Melvin ). I ain’t one of ‘em. :laugh:

I expect more from you. Today is a dark day for HF.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Just so you guys are all clear - don’t feel bad at all clowning me about how stoked I was for Poolman. There are a lot of guys with a lot of Ws under their belt here when it comes to talent evaluation (looking at @MS and @Melvin ). I ain’t one of ‘em. :laugh:

I thought Tim Schaller would be decent, so, you know, we all have L's.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

If I'm right 75% of the time on player takes, I feel like I'm absolutely knocking it out of the park. But if I post 200 hard takes about players here in a year, that means I'm wrong 50 times. I'm always wrong, even if I'm doing pretty good at being right. This isn't math - it's people, and people are f***ing difficult to predict. I find it weird when people don't understand this and refuse to admit they're ever wrong and keep doubling down on wrong opinions as a result.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
If I'm right 75% of the time on player takes, I feel like I'm absolutely knocking it out of the park. But if I post 200 hard takes about players here in a year, that means I'm wrong 50 times. I'm always wrong, even if I'm doing pretty good at being right. This isn't math - it's people, and people are f***ing difficult to predict. I find it weird when people don't understand this and refuse to admit they're ever wrong and keep doubling down on wrong opinions as a result.

I for one, have never been wrong. I thought I was once, but turns out I was wrong about that. Seriously though I'm happy batting .500 personally.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I haven't read our thread yet but I've been seeing the hate on the main boards for it and I don't see the logic. He has two seasons of excellent production, first and last, not just this last season. He paced 46 ES points in his first season...

This seems like a no risk signing. He'd have been third on our team last year for ES/60, fast and defensively responsible.

My only concern is that we're over the cap with too many wingers. Hopefully this doesn't put us in a poor negotiating position for dumping contracts.

Feb 19, 2018
If it’s a precursor to a Miller trade, fine, though he’s more of a high-end third liner.

If this is a precursor to a Garland trade, it’s bloody stupid and I hate it.
He is an asset we need to use to get a RHD. We’d basically be replacing him with Mikheyev and Marino typ of situation. Or Mikheyev and 2 2nds. That’s how you build depth and capitalize on asset.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I like the signing in the sense that I like the direction JR/PA is taking the team with the signings he's made. Lots of speed and very responsible defensively. Ilya Mikheyev is fantastic on the PK and has had virtually no opportunity on the PP, his even strength production is very good and is just now hitting his prime.

Scored 21 goals in 53 games last year? Is that correct?? That's a 32.5 goal pace over 82.... at EVEN STRENGTH. Plus he is amazing on the PK and has speed to burn (Keeps up with McDavid).

Yeah, I don't have any problem with this signing. Could be a steal if he keeps that production up.

This also opens up the VERY likely possibility that PA is trading a couple of wingers and using cap space to trade for a D. Also people asking why we didn't use this space for a D.... who? It's likely we're going to have to trade for one. We have a couple of extra wingers now and by trading them we lose a lot of cap space. This was obviously a player they targeted and it's not likely they could wait on signing him.... he would have been gone. JR has the entire summer to move the pieces around.

Last edited:

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
I had to Google the player last year after watching him play. Was definitely noticeable in a positive way, so that's something eh?

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver

Hey the Jackets just signed Gudbranson for $4 mil per for 4 years. This looks like a steal compared to that.

Reactions: Chrysalis99
Feb 19, 2018
He was 5th in PPG per TOI with Toronto last year. He was deployed in a checking role for the team and was their best penalty killer. 66% defensive zone faceoffs with a pro rated 33 goal season with no PP time tells me this is a great player to target. Being one of the fastest players in the league is huge for transition and possession metrics.

Welcome to Vancouver

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
This is a big risk here, but if Loui was worth 6 Million a year in 2016 (Let's be fair, he was worth that much at the time), I can see how Mikheyev would be worth just under 5 Million.
30 Goal Pace last season and isn't even 28 yet. Loui was nearly 31 when we signed him!

Anyone thinking this is as bad as Benning's moves are completely wrong.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Another thing to chew on

I think this move was purely lead by the analytics department. IMO it's great to see difference voices in the room having their voice heard (Doerrie, Fox)

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Hate the signing. Too long and too much. I don't even know why they targeted him. This team still has no idea where they want to be or how to get there. My opinion on this management team is starting to sour somewhat. I really don't like this signing.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Hate the signing. Too long and too much. I don't even know why they targeted him. This team still has no idea where they want to be or how to get there. My opinion on this management team is starting to sour somewhat. I really don't like this signing.

Like you dont like the player, you think he sucks or you dont like him on this team?

This really depends on what they are going to do. They have to shed cap, it would be great if you could unload pearsons, myers, and not garland or hoglander. But if I was a team I would not want pearson or myers (at his cap hit).

We really have to see follow up moves if you simply dont like the fit on the team.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Like you dont like the player, you think he sucks or you dont like him on this team?

This really depends on what they are going to do. They have to shed cap, it would be great if you could unload pearsons, myers, and not garland or hoglander. But if I was a team I would not want pearson or myers (at his cap hit).

I think it's a massive overpayment in both AAV and term for a player who hasn't done a thing in the NHL to deserve it. He has 3 total years in the NHL and his highest point total was his contract year(surprising) in which he totaled a whopping 32pts(his career high).

We just recently shed a few bad contracts and this new management team goes a head and anchors us with another one that I'm sure we'll be regretting in short order. I sure hope I'm wrong but this deal stinks for me.

ProdigalNuck

Dec 8, 2021
Hey now, when you make as many takes as we all have over the years there is bound to be some....interesting ones. You've had plenty of good calls.

I just keep losing accounts so all my bad takes disappear and I get to make all new bad takes 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad