Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ilya Mikheyev to 4-Year Deal ($4.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
just want to add that neither are drafted by toronto. Hyman opted to test FA after his college career, and Mik was undrafted so he played for his hometown team in Omsk. JR started doing just that with the signing of Kuzmenko, fingers crossed he becomes as useful as Hyman or Mik in toronto, hopefully more.

What JR?Allvin is doing is rebalancing the roster. There is no speed currently, this has to be addressed in a division with McDavid, not to mention a whole team of speedsters in the Avs. His goal is to be competitive in playoffs by year 3 I am guessing.
There’s also no short fix
Guys like Poolman and Dickinson are here to stay unless you want to dump them with future assets that we don’t have much

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I love how Mikheyev + a bigger role for Podkolzin gives us a totally different look in our top 9 with two big, heavy, high-motor possession-driving two way wingers.

This team has been an easy to play against, small, slow, soft ES pushover for basically all of Benning’s tenure and this is a big positive change. Feels like something resembling an identity at long last.

Despite the perceived failings of this off-season so far, they’ve added a guys (and with more responsibility for Podkolzin) who play with pace and aggression. Apparently that’s a trait of Kuzmenko too; very aggressive neutral zone player.

Obviously some other changes have to happen but I’m pretty interested to see how this forward group does next year.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Contract seems high now. I'm sure it will be fine. I think he's got a lot more to show.

It'll be okay guys....

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I dunno, I don’t hate it.

He scored at 50 point pace despite getting very little PP time, he is very solid on the PK, and very fast which is an area we definitely needed some improvement. I would think that the plan here is likely to move one of our wingers for a defenseman, and if that is the case it makes sense to sign another winger assuming they have a combination of PK ability and scoring.

I don’t even think the cap hit is high, assuming he can recreate his offense from last year.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Even though Miller is gonna be a huge loss I feel adding Kuz and now Mik here will help mitigate that and perhaps we might not see the dropoff we were expecting. Jason Dickinson as our third line center doesn't exactly inspire confidence thou however at some point we will upgrade our D (you gotta think Marino is on his way sooner or later) and Kuz and Mik have a shot at least of being able to hold Miller's jockstrap.

WE ace the Miller trade and get us that top 4 RHD we just might be pretty decent still. This guy is an ideal player for us and I've thought from day one he would fit what we were looking for. I just didn't think we would due to cap. Regardless of the hit he really fits our team well. We needed some speed and our PK was a huge sore spot for us last year.

I don't get the vitriol for this signing or management - overall they've been pretty dead on with what they've done - maybe not as quick as some would like but we are getting there. Benning's mess won't be cleaned up in a day, a month or even a season........it's gonna take some time..........something these guys seem to realize. I'm on board here.......

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Am I in the minority for liking this signing? Yes, it is a bit overpriced for what he can do, but his skillset is exactly what we need (A player who can play on PK and skate really well). Ideally we should tank for next season, but since this is never going to happen, this signing is the second best for me.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Am I in the minority for liking this signing? Yes, it is a bit overpriced for what he can do, but his skillset is exactly what we need (A player who can play on PK and skate really well). Ideally we should tank for next season, but since this is never going to happen, this signing is the second best for me.

I don't mind it. Obviously overpaid but such is free agency.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
There’s also no short fix
Guys like Poolman and Dickinson are here to stay unless you want to dump them with future assets that we don’t have much

Yup. What the bee management should have done was hold tight and not sign any deals that were over 2 years in term. Let the poolman, Ferlund, OEL, Myers, Dickenson etc deals die out. Then start building your team.

We are no better than we were last year. We didn’t address our HUGE weakness at all.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Not a big fan of the term, but not super-concerned about the cap hit. I understand that the new regime is trying to manage the transition from being a bottom feeder to quality team that can compete year after year, but that's why I'm wary of giving 4 years to any UFA.

Not that I watched much of the Leafs, but when I did, I thought Mikheyev was very noticeable. But one of the things I noticed was how his play resulted in less offence than you would expect. I mentally branded him as an "all flash but no bang" kind of player.

I think he needs to put up a minimum of 20 goals per season to justify the term and AAV. I hope there's not any sort of trade protection as part of the deal.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I wasn't happy when I first heard about this signing. The numbers were just too high. Then later on in the day I heard what Gudbranson signed for in Columbus, and then the signing didn't look so bad after all.:naughty:

Mikheyev definitely has the wheels. His clip of his one on one battle vs McDavid was impressive. His speed will definitely be an asset to this lineup, aswell as his two-way ability. I like that he can play on the PK, and hell even the PP if need be. Toronto fans keep saying he gets a breakaway every game, he just needs to start burying them.

I think Rutherford is relying on Mikheyev to find his offensive flare, and become a good two-way player who can be slotted anywhere in the lineup and potentially score 40-50 points.

Overall I'm happy with the signing and willing to give it a chance.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
The term, the $'s and the player they are rolling the dice on all are fine as long as they move another forward to shore up the defense. This signing is kind of a "nothing to see here" deal until the team hits the ice. This teams positional depth al out of whack right now. Lots of time left until the season opener.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Delving a bit deeper and Mikheyev looks fairly impressive. At least last year he did.

For the most part of last season, Mikheyev's linemates were David Kampf and Pierre Engvall. Kampf was a .32 points per game player, and Engvall was a .45 points per game player.

With 2 fairly weak (offensively) linemates, and not much power play time, Mikheyev still hit .60 points per game. Most of that production came in the form of goals. He scored at a rate of .4 goals per game. It's likely he scored way more goals than assists because his linemates were not that good, and he was counted on to produce all the offence.

Playing with a much better C like Horvat, there seems to be the potential for this guy to pick up his totals even more.

Reactions: MS

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Delving a bit deeper and Mikheyev looks fairly impressive. At least last year he did.

For the most part of last season, Mikheyev's linemates were David Kampf and Pierre Engvall. Kampf was a .32 points per game player, and Engvall was a .45 points per game player.

With 2 fairly weak (offensively) linemates, and not much power play time, Mikheyev still hit .60 points per game. Most of that production came in the form of goals. He scored at a rate of .4 goals per game. It's likely he scored way more goals than assists because his linemates were not that good, and he was counted on to produce all the offence.

Playing with a much better C like Horvat, there seems to be the potential for this guy to pick up his totals even more.
Empty netters and shorties.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
If his stat line is correct on Hockey Reference, he got 0 empty netters. He got 13 even strength, and 4 short handed. That's pretty damn good goal production through 53 games, considering his linemates.
Check again. Google will give you links and you can watch the goals.

Look he’s a good player. A great p killer and skater. He is NOT worth that AAV. He’s a 3rd liner with a specific skill.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
He had 2 empty net goals last yet and 4 shorts handed goals. I’m not sure why he’s being handicapped him being an effective PKer.
He got 2 empty netters in the play-offs as well. Maybe that's how it comes across that he scored lots of empty netters.

Check again. Google will give you links and you can watch the goals.

Look he’s a good player. A great p killer and skater. He is NOT worth that AAV. He’s a 3rd liner with a specific skill.
We'll see.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
What’s the expected lineup projection for him ? Is he likely to get top 6 minutes?

Apparently he was told he’d get top-6 minutes but given the current state of the roster no one knows how that would really work.

If nothing changes, he’d almost guaranteed to have one of Miller, Pettersson, or Horvat as his center.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Guy adds speed and tenacity to your lineup. Played well for Toronto last year despite some after the fact "sour grapping' by some Leaf fans. Following their boards prior to free agency many wanted him back although his price tag would likely be too high.

One of the reasons for the Leaf's strong play last season was the strong supporting cast and Mikheyev was important in this.

Reminds me of Motte but has more size and more offensive potential. In Toronto had to play behind too many strong offensive players and was not used in a that gave him much chance to produce. Main reason there was interest in him is many saw him as player that, if given the chance, could produce more. This player has great speed coming off the wing and if with the right center that can be exploited.

Given he hasn't really broken through yet and become more dangerous offensively, the contract is likely somewhat high. But, if he starts realizing the high end potential people saw for this player, he might become a bargain.

Player likely has better all round game than Boeser.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Apparently he was told he’d get top-6 minutes but given the current state of the roster no one knows how that would really work.

If nothing changes, he’d almost guaranteed to have one of Miller, Pettersson, or Horvat as his center.

Thats a bit odd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad