Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ilya Mikheyev to 4-Year Deal ($4.75M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
According to sports columnist Steve Dangle...Mikheyev has Connor McDavid level speed....If true, should be a lot of fun watching this guy...

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
So. I could see Highmore turning into this type of player and costing way less.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So. I could see Highmore turning into this type of player and costing way less.
giphy.gif

Reactions: andora and Red

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I actually like this one, watching some of the playoffs this year, he stood out to me in the occasional game I saw when Leafs were on, he's got some good speed on him and good size. He kind of reminded me of Hyman the year before in the playoffs for the Leafs as well, he stood out as well.

I think we got a good player who's got the potential to out perform his contract if put in the right opportunities, definitely believe he will out perform Loui Eriksson for cheaper :nod:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Don’t like the signing. Could have used this money for a D.

We don't really need to spend more on defense. Just need to better distribute the AAV behind Hughes.

According to sports columnist Steve Dangle...Mikheyev has Connor McDavid level speed....If true, should be a lot of fun watching this guy...

"Without the puck."

Initial sticker shock has worn off a bit, and he fills a lot of needs. Elite speed was a big need for this roster, and so is quality pk options. Looking at the contracts handed out today, I expect this contract will look better every season.

I do have some concern listening to Allvin today that IM might get the "foundational player" treatment. Pretty clear he's getting a look in the top 6. I don't mind this -- and interested in seeing if he can click with Petey. But if he's clearly not a fit, hope egos don't keep him there.

Guess one thing with this player is that his cap hit would maybe be better spent down the middle. If JTM isn't traded...I dunno what to think about this now, really doesn't sound like anything is imminent...then adding a C isn't as big a priority.

JTM
EP
Bo
Lazar
Joshua
(Dick)
Dowling

If this actually is the roster that will be at training camp, like Allvin said today, then adding speed and PKing is a bigger priority than a C to squeeze between Lazar and Bo.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That is way too harsh.

I dont agree with the direction this takes us, but the player and contract are not that out of whack in a vacuum.
I like the direction and identification of what we need, actually.

It’s a tough contract given that we haven’t moved out any of the - now 8 - wingers of significance.

The Benning comparison, is well, harsh. Benning never gave out a multi-year/multi-million free agent deal where you weren’t instantly checking buyout structures. Actually that’s bs, I assumed Schaller would be fine

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
With Mikeyev’s salary, we need to have manufactured moves to produce a RHD for Hughes long-term. They continue to take forwards with 1st round picks.

What’s the plan with the defence? It’s just Demko and young raw forwards. Entertaining, but not efficient for winning games.

Who’s going to drop the gloves from the forward group? There’s not much sandpaper there.

Reactions: David71

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We don't really need to spend more on defense. Just need to better distribute the AAV behind Hughes.

"Without the puck."

Initial sticker shock has worn off a bit, and he fills a lot of needs. Elite speed was a big need for this roster, and so is quality pk options. Looking at the contracts handed out today, I expect this contract will look better every season.

I do have some concern listening to Allvin today that IM might get the "foundational player" treatment. Pretty clear he's getting a look in the top 6. I don't mind this -- and interested in seeing if he can click with Petey. But if he's clearly not a fit, hope egos don't keep him there.

Guess one thing with this player is that his cap hit would maybe be better spent down the middle. If JTM isn't traded...I dunno what to think about this now, really doesn't sound like anything is imminent...then adding a C isn't as big a priority.

JTM
EP
Bo
Lazar
Joshua
(Dick)
Dowling

If this actually is the roster that will be at training camp, like Allvin said today, then adding speed and PKing is a bigger priority than a C to squeeze between Lazar and Bo.
Obviously , without the puck...Hence the 1/2 price off...

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
He's a good player.

A lot of people unfairly compare him to Michael Grabner - a speedster with stone hands that can't finish. Mikeyhev is quite a bit more versatile than that.

- He's good defensively. Leaf fans knock him for his empty net goals but the reason he gets a bunch of them is because he's trusted enough to be on the ice in a 5v6 situation to begin with.
- He can play PK or PP
- Very dangerous player in open ice, legit weapon on the PK
- He's a classic Leaf roleplayer. A versatile forward, high IQ that can play up and down the lineup.

Reactions: Raistlin

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Absolutely love this deal. Been watching him play for Toronto last season, and he was a difference maker. Finally someone really talented at the kill to replace Motte on the PK, fast as the wind, good at even strength, and a good second line scorer.

Hope we don't lose Garland in order to make room for him, though, because I love Garland just as much. Really hoping Pearson and/or Dickinson are the ones to get moved, because IMHO they don't bring much to the team, and aren't worth what they are paid.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
So you think we should compete now..?
Not at all.

I think it’s a contract to a guy who is incredibly fast with low miles. My thought is that he will be equally good in years 3 and 4 as he is in 1 and 2.

The player is helpful now and down the line. I am a huge believer in doing everything realistically possible to take a “step back” the next two years and trying to build up for something sustainable after that (year 3 of Mikheyev onwards).

The contract, I’m not sure I can get behind an AAV that high philosophically.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Not at all.

I think it’s a contract to a guy who is incredibly fast with low miles. My thought is that he will be equally good in years 3 and 4 as he is in 1 and 2.

The player is helpful now and down the line. I am a huge believer in doing everything realistically possible to take a “step back” the next two years and trying to build up for something sustainable after that (year 3 of Mikheyev onwards).

The contract, I’m not sure I can get behind an AAV that high philosophically.

Okay. Fair enough.

To me this move is the opposite of that.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
We have 5 years left of Hughe's current deal and 4 years left of Demko's sweetheart deal.

Do people legit think we should be tanking the next 2-3 years?

Reactions: alternate

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Like the pickup, but now we gotta move some other pieces. For forwards, I'd like to see JT, Pearson and Dickinson gone, with a good RD headed back. If we can do that, I'll be okay with our off season.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
32 goal pace while having the 7th least or most ice time among forwards on the stacked leafs team. Limited to no power play time and his contract ends when he's 30, so chances are he will play hard for that next contract. He’s also 6’2 so not a small guy.

I think this means garland might get moved down the road.

I’m ok with this contract. Ok. I’ve seen much worse.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm OK with just about everything the Canucks have done. Mikheyev is a guy who really impressed me with the Leafs--and instantly becomes the Canucks swiftest forward. And Lazar is a logical add, who brings a lot more to the table than Lammikko or Highmore.

And the Canucks added some useful pieces for Abbotsford with Delia, Joshua and Kalynuk. And Joshua could surprise at training camp. A big body who skates well and has looked good in some auditions with the Blues.

Given their tight cap situation, I'm pleasantly surprised the Canucks got as much done as they did. Would have been nice to address the blueline, but with slugs like Gudbranson getting four years at $4m a season, the cost with just too high.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Would’ve liked this deal more with Pearson off the books… or better yet something in the 3’s. We will see how it plays out. I am a bit torn as I love the different aspect he will bring (speed, penalty killing, etc). If he can pot 20 goals and a sound 2-way game then maybe this contract “pays off”?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad