Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ilya Mikheyev to 4-Year Deal ($4.75M AAV)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm really surprised about the negativity of this signing. I think it's excellent, and the kind of player we sorely needed. He's maybe a year older than I would like and/or signed one year longer, but these are nitpicks and he's the kind of player I don't mind taking a chance on. An excellent ES player who is a nice add to what was a struggling PK for most of last year. How did most of this board think the Dickinson signing was good but are mad about this? Makes no sense. I have to think it's some kind of anti-Leafs thing where people just hate all players that come from Toronto, maybe.

And maybe the best part, is that they would not have made this signing if they didn't already have something else in place to ship salary out. We'll have to wait and see what it is.

You can really tell the difference between the people who like it and the people who vociferously hate it.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Yep, this is what I have believed from the beginning. Everyone was telling me "Oh, JR has enough clout to tell Aqua to back off"...while forgetting that JR was looking for a hockey job for a year and no-one came calling.

This is a Benning type move that people would have ripped him apart for, and some here are saying it's a solid move.
Don't bother. For a long time, the board is just a hate group for Benning and Aqua. No objectivity to be seen.

I said this last night and was torn apart. Management seems to lack direction. Not rebuilding, not contending. We should be signing players to value deals, which the Oilers seem to be doing of late.

Reactions: Bubbles

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm really surprised about the negativity of this signing. I think it's excellent, and the kind of player we sorely needed. He's maybe a year older than I would like and/or signed one year longer, but these are nitpicks and he's the kind of player I don't mind taking a chance on. An excellent ES player who is a nice add to what was a struggling PK for most of last year. How did most of this board think the Dickinson signing was good but are mad about this? Makes no sense. I have to think it's some kind of anti-Leafs thing where people just hate all players that come from Toronto, maybe.

And maybe the best part, is that they would not have made this signing if they didn't already have something else in place to ship salary out. We'll have to wait and see what it is.

Pretty much the bolded.

Outside of PP impacts, this is probably a better player than Brock Boeser.

Last summer this board was cheering when $5.3 million was spent on two replacement-level players in Poolman and Dickinson. Now they're booing $4.75 million for a guy who just tracked for 30 goals out of high-leverage defensive minutes.

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
If both Melvin and MS like the player, im on board.

21 goals with 66% d zone starts, speed and size. looks fine to me. I read arguments about how Garland is good bang for the buck...this guy makes less than Garland and scored more with 24 less games played.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

21 goals with 66% d zone starts, speed and size. looks fine to me. I read arguments about how Garland is good bang for the buck...this guy makes less than Garland and scored more with 24 less games played.

Different strengths and weaknesses but I would consider Mikheyev to be a Garland-level player and this is a Garland-level contract and everyone loves that contract. It's weird.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Different strengths and weaknesses but I would consider Mikheyev to be a Garland-level player and this is a Garland-level contract and everyone loves that contract. It's weird.
Especially weird that they think no trades are coming. Like they’re not just adding him and keep all the other forwards lol

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Pretty much the bolded.

Last summer this board was cheering when $5.3 million was spent on two replacement-level players in Poolman and Dickinson. Now they're booing $4.75 million for a guy who just tracked for 30 goals out of high-leverage defensive minutes.

Yeah. Everyone thought that 4.95 for Garland as an RFA was a great signing but somehow 4.75 for Mikheyev on the UFA market is some crazy overpayment? I'm really confused. :huh:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
This is such a weird one to freak out over. I thought we wouldn't even be an option for Mikeyev and that he was gonna get closer to the Hyman deal.

Such a pleasant surprise from this new management group that they identifying actual good players with the numbers to back it up instead of signing "vibes-based players" like the old group.

Obviously there has to be a corresponding trade otherwise things are insanely crowded, so we'll have to see what they have in store—but upgrade wing speed, size, ES production, PK ability and moving out a winger for a D or some picks would be a huge W and a vote of confidence in the ability of our new management team.

It's amazing how prevalent hockey-card-counting-stat heavy the analysis of this player is on the boards. We've signed far worse players for far more money and people loved them because of like "they are good in the room" or "they know how to win".

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Pretty much the bolded.

yup, and the pp impacts are overrated, they basically had no where to put Boeser and put him in front of the net so he doesn't screw up the pp as much.

depending on how Kuzmenko adapts to the NHL, he might be as good or better as a pp player anyways.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. Everyone thought that 4.95 for Garland as an RFA was a great signing but somehow 4.75 for Mikheyev on the UFA market is some crazy overpayment? I'm really confused. :huh:

And the Garland signing was when his career year was a 39-point season in limited GP. Exactly the same as what Mikheyev just did.

Reactions: BCNate and Vector

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
After digesting this i think it's not that bad.

1 -He brings in spades what we need which is hard on pucks and fast portal from zone to zone
2 - Will be motivated to be a good top6 and really found his stride last year and im gonna assume with Kuz Pod and even Klimovich these guys will have a nice little group of support and family
3 - The term is prime years only
4 - is a fantastic 5v5 player at turning the pressure on the opposition. No secret we needed a Burrows type

a little rich in AAV but it addresses needs (is free agent stupidity time) and has zero legacy deal years

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I can see an argument that this is too much by $750k to $1 million. To a certain extent he is being paid for a SH% driven spike in goals, despite all of the other things he brings to the table.

That said, the other side of the coin, you see people making Hansen comparisons without acknowledging that Hansen was grossly underpaid for most of his career and teams are realizing that these types of players are more valuable than their hockey card stats indicate.

Reactions: Vector

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Take what you read from Leafs fans with a grain of salt - when losing a player for nothing, the usual thing to do is shit all over them to justify the loss.

I can see an argument that this is too much by $750k to $1 million. To a certain extent he is being paid for a SH% driven spike in goals, despite all of the other things he brings to the table.

That said, the other side of the coin, you see people making Hansen comparisons without acknowledging that Hansen was grossly underpaid for most of his career and teams are realizing that these types of players are more valuable than their hockey card stats indicate.

And don't discount the Russian factor.

If he and Kuz bond, maybe the latter decides to sign long term after this season?

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Take what you read from Leafs fans with a grain of salt - when losing a player for nothing, the usual thing to do is shit all over them to justify the loss.

There's also a bit of Mason Raymond-ism with this player in their fanbase.

Just like Raymond for us was a really good two-way 2nd line winger for awhile who a dumb segment of the fanbase hated 'because he fell down lots' this is a really good two-way player for them who a dumb segment of their fanbase hated because he missed scoring chances while he was tilting the ice in his team's favour from tough minutes.

Reactions: wreckless

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021

He was a career 7.3% shooter that scored 14.3% last year. That's not sustainable.

Garland IS incredible value. He's the Canucks single best even-strength performer, which also includes a guy that had 99pts. His P/60 just misses the league top 50, and is tied with Sebastian Aho. Garland is also a penalty drawing machine; 6th best in net differential.

Basically, he's Miller before he blew up in Van. If he gets traded for pennies on the dollar, this management deserves the scrutiny that comes it's way.

Reactions: Nucker101

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Even if you don't like the contract, I 100% believe in the player. I just heard someone on the radio call it a "Benning signing". Absolutely not. I still don't *love* the contract, I wish it was 3 years for this money. But the asset itself is valuable. A Benning signing would have been more one-dimensional or toolsy. Mikheyev is a good hockey player.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Pretty much the bolded.

You are hopeless.

• Love
Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad