Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tucker Poolman to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
$2.5m is just 3% of the cap.

I understand that adjusting value is hard as $2.5m doesn't read right for a bottom pair.

But it's just 3% of the cap.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
1) Stecher was a better defenseman than him at North Dakota
2) he's been better than him in the NHL
3) stecher is younger
4) both shoot right

how the literal hell did he get this term

Why not just trade for Ethan bear who shoots right, and is also way better
Give the money to the guy Montreal just signed and won a cup

Why does being right handed all of a sudden get you this amount of cash

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
1) Stecher was a better defenseman than him at North Dakota
2) he's been better than him in the NHL
3) stecher is younger
4) both shoot right

how the literal hell did he get this term

Why not just trade for Ethan bear who shoots right, and is also way better

Look at Stecher's size. You can't have a 5 foot 10 defenceman in your bottom pairing when most cup contending teams have defenceman with size.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I hate this kind of contract. You'd think management would have learned something from the Beagle, Roussel, Ferland debacles.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Look at Stecher's size. You can't have a 5 foot 10 defenceman in your bottom pairing when most cup contending teams have defenceman with size.
Here’s a WILD take:

i could care less about the physical attributes. All i care about is if this man can play defense relative to cap hit.

full stop. Nothing else matters. I would have a 5 foot 1 inch guy on my blueline if he can strip the puck from the opposing forwards. Size is the biggest meme in the NHL. Only thing that matters is skill

Reactions: MarkMM and ugghhh

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Here’s a WILD take:

i could care less about the physical attributes. All i care about is if this man can play defense relative to cap hit.

full stop. Nothing else matters. I would have a 5 foot 1 inch guy on my blueline if he can strip the puck from the opposing forwards. Size is the biggest meme in the NHL. Only thing that matters is skill

Oh really? I guess you should be a GM in the NHL since you seem to be the smartest guy in the room. Why didn't Tampa or Montreal figure this out earlie that size as a defenceman doesn't matter.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Here’s a WILD take:

Skill can only do so much.
Size determines a lot of things when battling for the puck, like reach.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

So our Bottom pairing defense is what has been holding us back all these years from being a cup contender
thanks for clarifying.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
$2.5m is just 3% of the cap.

I understand that adjusting value is hard as $2.5m doesn't read right for a bottom pair.

But it's just 3% of the cap.

You can't have that sort of spending or term for a borderline player. If you're paying that much on average it's 12.5M just on 4th liners and the bottom pairing. And they're often players who fall off within 1-2 years or are replaced by rookies on ELCs. If you're paying that much money with term it has t be someone who can move within the lineup and isn't an injury away from the AHL.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Would you have preferred Ceci for $3,25M x 4........?

Me personally? No. Poolman was my #1 target in free agency. I like him a lot as a player, and I realize he's been deployed as a bottom pairing guy, but I think he has top four potential as a Tanev-esque defensive d-man, providing stability to a guy like Hughes.

With Hamonic signing, it's likely Poolman starts on the third pair. But still. I like this player a lot and I'm happy we got him. I think the AAV is fair. IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad