Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tucker Poolman to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Me personally? No. Poolman was my #1 target in free agency. I like him a lot as a player, and I realize he's been deployed as a bottom pairing guy, but I think he has top four potential as a Tanev-esque defensive d-man, providing stability to a guy like Hughes.

With Hamonic signing, it's likely Poolman starts on the third pair. But still. I like this player a lot and I'm happy we got him. I think the AAV is fair. IMO.

Myers will likely start on the bottom pair. Green had him there past 2 years and then juggles him around to get more minutes.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Hughes-Hamonic
OEL-Myers
Edler-Poolman
Schenn? Juolevi?

Shocking that Benning managed to downgrade last year’s defense. Why would he not have taken the money he pushed at Poolman and Hamonic and signed someone like Savard? Poor Hughes.

Reactions: Breakers

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Me personally? No. Poolman was my #1 target in free agency. I like him a lot as a player, and I realize he's been deployed as a bottom pairing guy, but I think he has top four potential as a Tanev-esque defensive d-man, providing stability to a guy like Hughes.

With Hamonic signing, it's likely Poolman starts on the third pair. But still. I like this player a lot and I'm happy we got him. I think the AAV is fair. IMO.
Good to know...hopefully Poolman can be the solid unspectacular D man this team desperately needs (guys who can play when they don't have the puck)....Ceci was obviously the bigger name out there...and we are looking at UFA prices.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Myer will likely start on the bottom pair. Green had him there past 2 years and then juggles him around to get more minutes.

Yeah, the Canucks' D deployment under Green/Baumgartner has always been...interesting.

Myers will get top minutes, IMO. And in fairness, Hamonic seemed to settle in on Hughes' flank as the year went on. So I can't see Poolman leapfrogging either of them at the start. But if/when injuries hit, he could get a chance to prove himself, and I really feel he will. I'm probably guilty of rose coloured glasses on this one because I really like him as a player and I'm stoked we got him, but yeah - I feel he has top four upside.

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018
Jets fan chiming in. Poolman is a jeckyl and hyde type defenceman. He is prone to awful games but at times can have really good ones. A very frustrating player to watch. Still relatively young though..
If he is paired with a puck moving defence partner that will help him significantly because you never, EVER, want the puck on his stick in your own zone. Just awful brain cramps all the time...he panics. However, he is decent defensively and if he becomes more physical could develop into a 5 D type player. Your GM must be banking on his youth and upside...no other way to interpret 2.5 mil per. He played decent minutes on the bottom pairing and his stat line was totally obscured when he played a part of last season with Morrissey on the top line where he was completely and thoroughly overmatched.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Hughes-Hamonic
OEL-Myers
Edler-Poolman
Schenn? Juolevi?

Shocking that Benning managed to downgrade last year’s defense. Why would he not have taken the money he pushed at Poolman and Hamonic and signed someone like Savard? Poor Hughes.
I hate to say this but
Savard has been rumoured with MTL for at least 2 weeks

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, the Canucks' D deployment under Green/Baumgartner has always been...interesting.

Myers will get top minutes, IMO. And in fairness, Hamonic seemed to settle in on Hughes' flank as the year went on. So I can't see Poolman leapfrogging either of them at the start. But if/when injuries hit, he could get a chance to prove himself, and I really feel he will. I'm probably guilty of rose coloured glasses on this one because I really like him as a player and I'm stoked we got him, but yeah - I feel he has top four upside.

The chances of Poolman being top 4 are remote imo. Unless he improves his abilities with the puck on his stick he is a liability that high in the lineup....and by improve...I mean a LOT.

Reactions: ugghhh

ekimbo

Sep 28, 2009
Oh really? I guess you should be a GM in the NHL since you seem to be the smartest guy in the room. Why didn't Tampa or Montreal figure this out earlie that size as a defenceman doesn't matter.

true, bringing this back to the canucks, i remember troy stecher getting destroyed in the playoffs last year whereas myers was exceptional because of his height

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Jets fan chiming in. Poolman is a jeckyl and hyde type defenceman. He is prone to awful games but at times can have really good ones. A very frustrating player to watch. Still relatively young though..
If he is paired with a puck moving defence partner that will help him significantly because you never, EVER, want the puck on his stick in your own zone. Just awful brain cramps all the time...he panics. However, he is decent defensively and if he becomes more physical could develop into a 5 D type player. Your GM must be banking on his youth and upside...no other way to interpret 2.5 mil per. He played decent minutes on the bottom pairing and his stat line was totally obscured when he played a part of last season with Morrissey on the top line where he was completely and thoroughly overmatched.
we are running three right side defensemen who were killed in the matchups they played last season.

the only defenseman we have who played well in their matchups last year was f***ing rookie jack rathbone

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Sponsor
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Here’s a WILD take:

i could care less about the physical attributes. All i care about is if this man can play defense relative to cap hit.

full stop. Nothing else matters. I would have a 5 foot 1 inch guy on my blueline if he can strip the puck from the opposing forwards. Size is the biggest meme in the NHL. Only thing that matters is skill

Yes, I agree - it is a wild take. Please see any playoff in living memory.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Not a sky is falling type deal but I really don’t like our right side. Myers/Hamonic/Poolman are all 3rd pairing guys, and two of them have to play in our top 4 :(

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
One year more than I would have liked, but I'm fine with the cap hit. I feel like he can be a guy that plays in the top four. Right side, defensively responsible D that I think will fit in well.
You dont want Poolman anywhere near your top 4. He has flashes of offensive skill now and again, but his defensive play was brutal last season and his offensive flare vanished. He was severely overmatched when given top line minutes. Just a dogs breakfast in his own zone. Having said that he did have Covid to start the season so maybe that effected him? Possibly. If his ass is glued to the 3rd pairing he might be serviceable. Dont like the dollars or term but thats free agency for ya.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
we are running three right side defensemen who were killed in the matchups they played last season.

the only defenseman we have who played well in their matchups last year was f***ing rookie jack rathbone

Genuine question, was Hamonic killed in his matchups last year?

Another, how much of those negative numbers had to do with our brutal forward group? Does that change with a better group up front?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
See? Does getting rid of Bealge Eriksson Rousell even matter, when you bring in contracts like this?

This is, again, a very Benning move. He's probably thinking he got eyes for a gem and is super afraid that other GM's will want a piece.

Benning does this again and again and again, it's hardly a surprise anymore.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Thanks, appreciate the insight from someone who’s actually watched him, vs the chicken littles that infest this place.
My question — how is his skating? He is clearly huge, but is he average skater, or slow? Hoping he has some speed. Thanks

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
You dont want Poolman anywhere near your top 4. He has flashes of offensive skill now and again but his defensive play was brutal last season. He was severely overmatched when given top line minutes. Just a dogs breakfast in his own zone. Having said that he did have Covid to start the season so maybe that effected him? Possibly. If his ass is glued to the 3rd pairing he might be serviceable. Dont like the dollars or term but thats free agency for ya.

It is for this reason that I hope they close the Schenn contract asap. Maybe pool man becomes another overpaid press box player if this continues as he plays with Rathbone.

But do you think he is a better option than Chatfield, contract aside?

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Genuine question, was Hamonic killed in his matchups last year?

Another, how much of those negative numbers had to do with our brutal forward group? Does that change with a better group up front?
Hamonic doesn’t have the backskating and basic puck skills that Tanev had. It was a huge drop off. Hamonic is so slow.

To answer point two, yes. But the defense has worse players. You’d need a miraculous coaching improvement to get more out of a worse blueline and a total systems adjustment.

We have a bunch of guys who can get walked/can’t recover on odd man rushes.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Thanks, appreciate the insight from someone who’s actually watched him, vs the chicken littles that infest this place.
My question — how is his skating? He is clearly huge, but is he average skater, or slow? Hoping he has some speed. Thanks
He doesnt possess very good speed. Fairly sluggish.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
It is for this reason that I hope they close the Schenn contract asap. Maybe pool man becomes another overpaid press box player if this continues as he plays with Rathbone.

But do you think he is a better option than Chatfield, contract aside?
Chatfield is terrible. Benning saying he believed so much in this player and then legitimately giving him an NHL shot proves he knows 0 about how to scout defensemen. He is a bottom pair AHL guy at best.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
we gave a #6 D a four year deal at a decent cap hit like wtf lmfao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad