Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tucker Poolman to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I'm not seeing the end game on D here. As has been noted, Poolman and Hamonic are bottom pairing guys. Hamonic can play up a pairing in a pinch, occasionally passably. Nucks would have been better off waiting for a trade opp to shake loose later than to sink 2.5 x 4 into Poolman.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson is going to play 32 minutes a night and you're going to like it.

I'm really curious as to how Benning perceives Poolman. We know that his evaluation of defenders is...unique...and I wouldn't be surprised if he sees Poolman as having a higher ceiling to reach or something.

I would also imagine that the belief is going to be something along the lines of that OEL/Hughes can carry the play on their respective pairings now. OEL is a "#1 defenseman" who will "benefit" from having a guy like Myers with him, elevating his already, ahem, stellar play, while Hughes will have that babysitter in Poolman who will allow him to tear it up.

Hamonic will be the babysitter for Rathbone/Juolevi.

It really seems to be offensive defenseman/'responsible defenseman' as the structure they're going for.

EDIT: Or in the case of an OEL/Myers pairing, two "top tier" guys who are a genuine legit top threat.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Right now, this one looks like a bit of a head scratcher...I don't know much about the player, but he was an AHL player a couple of years ago..and looks like a bottom pairing D man...I'll reserve judgement until I see him play.

This is more money than Jordy Benn got , and double the term..and a million more than what Troy Stecher is getting...by comparison.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Oh ok, it's 2.5M total, that makes waaaay more sense. Thought we had another Jimmy special.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I would also imagine that the belief is going to be something along the lines of that OEL/Hughes can carry the play on their respective pairings now. OEL is a "#1 defenseman" who will "benefit" from having a guy like Myers with him, elevating his already, ahem, stellar play, while Hughes will have that babysitter in Poolman who will allow him to tear it up.

Nobody benefits from playing with Tyler Myers

it has been noted over the past couple of years that everyone who steps on the ice with him struggles............. like A LOT

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Right now, this one looks like a bit of a head scratcher...I don't know much about the player, but he was an AHL player a couple of years ago..and looks like a bottom pairing D man...I'll reserve judgement until I see him play.

This is more money than Jordy Benn got , and double the term..and a million more than what Troy Stecher is getting...by comparison.

best i can think of is we had to scramble when seattle scooped larsson. it is way too much for a #6 dman.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Benning:

upload_2021-7-28_9-41-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-7-28_9-41-20.png
    upload_2021-7-28_9-41-20.png
    668 KB · Views: 1

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
One year more than I would have liked, but I'm fine with the cap hit. I feel like he can be a guy that plays in the top four. Right side, defensively responsible D that I think will fit in well.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Tucker Poolman looks like he is 6'4 or 6'5. Not sure why hockeydb has him listed as 6'2

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You heard to old urban legend Pat Quinn pulling the old contract switcheroo on Pavel Bure? (giving him a contract which stated Bure would be paid in Canadian funds instead of the agreed upon US funds). Well, Poolman's agent did the old switcheroo on old DimJim! DimJim thought he was agreeing to a $2.5 million total contract!

Reactions: Nucker101

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Nobody benefits from playing with Tyler Myers

it has been noted over the past couple of years that everyone who steps on the ice with him struggles............. like A LOT

I understand this. I am going off of what I think might be the perception of Benning & co. and how they're looking to structure the defense. This is not something I personally believe.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Don't know much about Poolman, but 4 year term for a bottom-pairing guy entering his 30s doesn't really ever make sense.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Nemeth got 3 years 2.5 mil per
Ceci 4 years 3.25

2-3 mil seems like the market for legit bottom pairing guys :dunno:

Nemeth is actually pretty solid in his role, despite a rough round in the playoffs last year.

Ceci is also somehow better than Poolman for just a tad more.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
the canucks dumped schmidts contract so they can sign...... tucker freakin poolman? LOL
not a single jets fan will be sad to see him go... he is a borderline nhl player... only got big minutes last year because jets had a horrible blueline. He is a turnover machine and makes a lot of stupid decisions. He isnt worth more than a million a year using him as a 6/7th defenseman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad