Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek to 8y/7.25m Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
6.25M for Weegar is peanuts. Even if he crashes at 35 you've only got 2 years left probably some decent buy out options. Weegar is a legit top pairing d-man and short of a ransom I don't think he'll get plucked from Calgary.
Well that’s the thing, we don’t know if he’ll drop off at 33 or 35. He could shorten our window by a lot.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Well that’s the thing, we don’t know if he’ll drop off at 33 or 35. He could shorten our window by a lot.

The drop off doesn't really make sense though for Weegar. He's very good and the CAP hit is low. You run risks with all players over 30 but I'd venture to guess most gm's think Weegar's contract is very good.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The drop off doesn't really make sense though for Weegar. He's very good and the CAP hit is low. You run risks with all players over 30 but I'd venture to guess most gm's think Weegar's contract is very good.
What do you mean it doesn’t make sense? I don’t think anyone can really predict when exactly an athlete will drop off after 30 but the probability is pretty high after like 33. Regardless, I think the odds of the Flames trading a big piece that is not a rental to us is pretty low. They made 2 trades with us last season but the owner also refused to trade Tanev to us so.

Reactions: Szechwan

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
What do you mean it doesn’t make sense? I don’t think anyone can really predict when exactly an athlete will drop off after 30 but the probability is pretty high after like 33. Regardless, I think the odds of the Flames trading a big piece that is not a rental to us is pretty low. They made 2 trades with us last season but the owner also refused to trade Tanev to us so.
Weegar dropping off from a legit top pairing defenseman, to a bottom pairing guy in 3 years is highly unlikely though.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That’s true, I think the drop off would likely be like 34 or if he gets some type of injuries.
Yea I think 4/5 years of top pairing/top 4 level of play is a good bet with a potential drop off in his mid-30’s.

But like you said earlier, it’s basically a moot point as far as Vancouver is concerned as I don’t see them paying the likely asking price of Lekk/Willander to get him out of Calgary.

Reactions: arttk

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Split Hughes & Hronek up creating more balance between the D pairs? Or let them dominate possession together never give up the puck?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Hronek last season started off strong with slappers. Opposing players were dropping like flies "Which sucks but is a good thing". Hronek's slapper was either generating scoring chances or giving the Canucks the man advantage "due to hobbling players" but Hronek's shot was very noticeable. Once the second half of the season "including playoffs" Hroneks shot disappeared and it affected Hronek's game.
If Hronek uses his bullet of a slapshot all year this season then I think it will be another breakout year for the talented defenseman. #17 is going to cement himself as a very good #2 defenseman in the league. I'm expecting a big year from the offensive stud.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Hronek last season started off strong with slappers. Opposing players were dropping like flies "Which sucks but is a good thing". Hronek's slapper was either generating scoring chances or giving the Canucks the man advantage "due to hobbling players" but Hronek's shot was very noticeable. Once the second half of the season "including playoffs" Hroneks shot disappeared and it affected Hronek's game.
If Hronek uses his bullet of a slapshot all year this season then I think it will be another breakout year for the talented defenseman. #17 is going to cement himself as a very good #2 defenseman in the league. I'm expecting a big year from the offensive stud.
His shot dropped off because he was injured. The concern is the shoulder injury is recurring and lingering.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

I'm not saying there's no risk but using the argument that Weegar is a bad target because he will regress is too conservative. The player is too good and the contract at 6M whatever is not an albatross.

Like I get the Stephenson and Marchessault type contracts are a brutal risk. I wouldn't touch either of those. But a top pairing dman at 6M is a great contract. It's really moot though because Conroy understands this and so then ask for Weegar would cost too much.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
30 years old, 7 years left (including this one) at 6.25M. That's a scary contract to have.

Andersson has 2 years left on his contract and then what? Sign him to a 7 year contract at age 30?

Miller is 31. Demko is signed for 2 years and we don't know how he'll hold up. Boeser is signed for one. "Our window" is open now and can close fast.

Weegar is a top pairing Dman (and he's been playing at an elite level for a while). Andersson is not and struggled last year. Weegar is a huge step up.

Management was willing to offer Lindholm 7x$7M. Most of us wanted Tanev back. We also gave a 34 year old Myers a 3 year deal. I thought Weegar's contract was scary when he signed it but that has more to do with his relatively short track record of being a top pairing Dman. He has now spent another 2 years playing at an elite level.

If the goal is trying to win the Stanley Cup over the next 2-3 years, Weegar would be a huge addition and a steal at $6.25M AAV.

Reactions: Flik

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes lets hope he can stay healthy because as last season wore on it was apparent he couldn't shoot like he can when healthy. It was a massive blow for our top pair as Hughes movement and deception allows him opportunities and the 2nd unit was neutered somewhat. Forget Hughes talking 20 (which is great to hear) Hronek should be getting 20 plus

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Andersson has 2 years left on his contract and then what? Sign him to a 7 year contract at age 30?

Miller is 31. Demko is signed for 2 years and we don't know how he'll hold up. Boeser is signed for one. "Our window" is open now and can close fast.

Weegar is a top pairing Dman (and he's been playing at an elite level for a while). Andersson is not and struggled last year. Weegar is a huge step up.

Management was willing to offer Lindholm 7x$7M. Most of us wanted Tanev back. We also gave a 34 year old Myers a 3 year deal. I thought Weegar's contract was scary when he signed it but that has more to do with his relatively short track record of being a top pairing Dman. He has now spent another 2 years playing at an elite level.

If the goal is trying to win the Stanley Cup over the next 2-3 years, Weegar would be a huge addition and a steal at $6.25M AAV.
I mean the price for either will be just as high I presume. Yes Anderson will be a UFA after 2 years but the way I see it is if we let him walk, that’s just cap space we can use for other stuff. I feel like we underestimate the pros of having cap flexibility. Also having him at 4.5M for 2 years would actually contribute more within that 2 year window.
Having more guys locked down on long term contracts would actually get us stuck.

Reactions: Flik and Regal

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The issue in the 2nd half of last year was apparently a wrist that was heavily taped.
Thanks for the correction. My mind mixed some things together. But that said, if he isn't producing people are going to be talking about his health.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Weegar is a bad target beyond the next 2yrs because he comes with too much expensive term and blocks Willander

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
The scary thing is not only was he no longer a threat offensively, his overall play fell off entirely.

So the question is, did his overall game just revert back to his career norm or did the injury and/or other factors cause a massive drop in confidence? Wouldn't be surprised if he was a victim of the same mental hurdles that Petey was dealing with where the injury limits you physically but the situation limits you even more psychologically.

Perhaps we never see first half Hronek again but as long as he's like consistently 85-90% of that I think we should be fine.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mean the price for either will be just as high I presume. Yes Anderson will be a UFA after 2 years but the way I see it is if we let him walk, that’s just cap space we can use for other stuff. I feel like we underestimate the pros of having cap flexibility. Also having him at 4.5M for 2 years would actually contribute more within that 2 year window.
Having more guys locked down on long term contracts would actually get us stuck.

So you think Andersson + $1.75M in cap space will improve the team more than having a top-pairing defenseman in Weegar over the next two years? If so, I disagree.

I think you underestimate just how much better Weegar is compared to Andersson.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
So you think Andersson + $1.75M in cap space will improve the team more than having a top-pairing defenseman in Weegar over the next two years? If so, I disagree.

I think you underestimate just how much better Weegar is compared to Andersson.
Umm andersson plays more than Weegar and I think Weegar is the better offensive guy but he’s not going to get PP1 time here with Hughes so that part of his game is going to be wasted here.
I think Andersson is the better fit for us, would fit in perfectly with Hughes allowing Hronek to slide down a pair and maybe anchor his own.
I think cap wise it makes more sense to get a guy at 4.5ish to play with Hughes and let the 7.25M guy to anchor his own pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad