Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Filip Hronek to 8y/7.25m Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
30 years old, 7 years left (including this one) at 6.25M. That's a scary contract to have.

6.25M for Weegar is peanuts. Even if he crashes at 35 you've only got 2 years left probably some decent buy out options. Weegar is a legit top pairing d-man and short of a ransom I don't think he'll get plucked from Calgary.

Reactions: F A N

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
6.25M for Weegar is peanuts. Even if he crashes at 35 you've only got 2 years left probably some decent buy out options. Weegar is a legit top pairing d-man and short of a ransom I don't think he'll get plucked from Calgary.
Well that’s the thing, we don’t know if he’ll drop off at 33 or 35. He could shorten our window by a lot.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Well that’s the thing, we don’t know if he’ll drop off at 33 or 35. He could shorten our window by a lot.

The drop off doesn't really make sense though for Weegar. He's very good and the CAP hit is low. You run risks with all players over 30 but I'd venture to guess most gm's think Weegar's contract is very good.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The drop off doesn't really make sense though for Weegar. He's very good and the CAP hit is low. You run risks with all players over 30 but I'd venture to guess most gm's think Weegar's contract is very good.
What do you mean it doesn’t make sense? I don’t think anyone can really predict when exactly an athlete will drop off after 30 but the probability is pretty high after like 33. Regardless, I think the odds of the Flames trading a big piece that is not a rental to us is pretty low. They made 2 trades with us last season but the owner also refused to trade Tanev to us so.

Reactions: Szechwan

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
What do you mean it doesn’t make sense? I don’t think anyone can really predict when exactly an athlete will drop off after 30 but the probability is pretty high after like 33. Regardless, I think the odds of the Flames trading a big piece that is not a rental to us is pretty low. They made 2 trades with us last season but the owner also refused to trade Tanev to us so.
Weegar dropping off from a legit top pairing defenseman, to a bottom pairing guy in 3 years is highly unlikely though.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That’s true, I think the drop off would likely be like 34 or if he gets some type of injuries.
Yea I think 4/5 years of top pairing/top 4 level of play is a good bet with a potential drop off in his mid-30’s.

But like you said earlier, it’s basically a moot point as far as Vancouver is concerned as I don’t see them paying the likely asking price of Lekk/Willander to get him out of Calgary.

Reactions: arttk

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Split Hughes & Hronek up creating more balance between the D pairs? Or let them dominate possession together never give up the puck?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Hronek last season started off strong with slappers. Opposing players were dropping like flies "Which sucks but is a good thing". Hronek's slapper was either generating scoring chances or giving the Canucks the man advantage "due to hobbling players" but Hronek's shot was very noticeable. Once the second half of the season "including playoffs" Hroneks shot disappeared and it affected Hronek's game.
If Hronek uses his bullet of a slapshot all year this season then I think it will be another breakout year for the talented defenseman. #17 is going to cement himself as a very good #2 defenseman in the league. I'm expecting a big year from the offensive stud.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Hronek last season started off strong with slappers. Opposing players were dropping like flies "Which sucks but is a good thing". Hronek's slapper was either generating scoring chances or giving the Canucks the man advantage "due to hobbling players" but Hronek's shot was very noticeable. Once the second half of the season "including playoffs" Hroneks shot disappeared and it affected Hronek's game.
If Hronek uses his bullet of a slapshot all year this season then I think it will be another breakout year for the talented defenseman. #17 is going to cement himself as a very good #2 defenseman in the league. I'm expecting a big year from the offensive stud.
His shot dropped off because he was injured. The concern is the shoulder injury is recurring and lingering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad