Rumor: Canucks on the verge of signing Elias Pettersson for eight years!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So I have read about one third of the posts. Has anything of any merit actually been said, or is all of this crap media speculation to get people excited?

Have the Canucks actually said anything? Has Pettersson or his agent?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So I have read about one third of the posts. Has anything of any merit actually been said, or is all of this crap media speculation to get people excited?

Have the Canucks actually said anything? Has Pettersson or his agent?

Nothing from either party but it’s pretty clear from a lot of credible sources that some sort of big change happened in the negotiation (or previous lack thereof) in the last 48 hours.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Maybe if he gets his contract out of the way, it'll give him some sort of boost or motivation.

Because right now, he isn't even a $6m player the way he's going, much less $11-$12m.
If he’s not motivated playing for 6mil at 25 yrs old, move on from the guy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yikes!.....Elliott Friedmann reporting that the Canucks and Carolina Hurricanes were in serious discussions on a Pettersson deal.

At that point, it's rumored that the Canucks braintrust went back to Pettersson's camp and advised them of the Carolina trade talk.....and the fact that they needed clarity about his intentions going forward..

And like magic, the contract discussions were back on again. I guess it's an example of 'reverse pressure' appearing to work.

But Canuck fans can't help speculating. What was Carolina offering? It's intriguing to guess what might have been on the table.

Reactions: oceanchild

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
But Canuck fans can't help speculating. What was Carolina offering? It's intriguing to guess what might have been on the table.
There was a recent rumour about Necas being available, most likely he was involved. Vancouver would also need a center and there was speculation last year that management had interest in Kotkaniemi, his involvement would basically match cap hits so I suspect he was involved. After that, picks/prospects to make up the difference. If Carolina was offering Nikishin, that would certainly be a prospect to make Vancouver consider it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I
There was a recent rumour about Necas being available, most likely he was involved. Vancouver would also need a center and there was speculation last year that management had interest in Kotkaniemi, his involvement would basically match cap hits so I suspect he was involved. After that, picks/prospects to make up the difference. If Carolina was offering Nikishin, that would certainly be a prospect to make Vancouver consider it.

I suppose there's always the remote possibility that it's a 'sign and trade' deal with Carolina. Certainly some of the names you've floated are intriguing. And would be of immeasurable help to the Canucks in managing the cap.

And there's not much doubt that the Hurricanes are one of the few teams in the league with the assets to actually pull off a blockbuster trade for a guy like Pettersson.

So even if it's unlikely to happen, it still is intriguing to speculate.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
There's some talk about the AAV being under 12M right? That would be ideal, honestly.

Pettersson is a player who I would have no hesitation paying 12.5M x 8 to, but at the same time recognizing that he in no way, shape or form has looked like a 12M player this season outside of the first 10 games.

With his talent level, I think you do what you can to keep him and figure out the rest later.

There's definitely a chance he underperforms his contract, I think a Tavares type situation is the worst case scenario, which isn't really that "crippling," just not ideal.

And of course if he lives up to his contract then he ends up looking like Matthews, a guy who gets paid a lot but also performs.

For me, signing him to what is probably a bit more than what he deserves, is preferrable to trading him because we simply won't find someone with Pettersson's raw talent for quite some time - and we'd definitely get less than market value in a trade.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder how serious the trade talks were with Carolina, or whether they ever really got close to deal?

But one thing is certain. As soon as they reported out on trade talks to Pettersson's camp, the contract negotiations were back on in earnest.

Either Allvin and Rutherford were bluffing, or the trade talk with the Hurricanes was more than smoke and mirrors. Whatever it was, the Canucks front office are masterful poker players.

Reactions: DekeyPete

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I would prefer a package of Svech, Jarvis and a pick to be honest

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
For me, signing him to what is probably a bit more than what he deserves, is preferrable to trading him because we simply won't find someone with Pettersson's raw talent for quite some time
Let’s be real, the chances of the Canucks drafting a center the same calibre as Pettersson are close to zero, up until this team becomes a bottom 5 team again. And even then it’s no guarantee.

That’s the reason there should be no problem paying this guy 12mil plus

That and the fact with a 8 year extension, that’s his entire prime

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I've never been sold on EP as worthy of being paid like a superstar.
Well who exactly should be paid like a superstar then? The guy is a top 10 forward in the game. I’d rather overpay a star player by a million or two than scrubs like Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter by millions a year.

Not saying you but there is certain part of this fanbase and definitely media members (Jeff Patterson, Drance etc) that is irate if he signs a max term deal. It’s way more important to win an argument on the internet than to actually enjoy the team or the game. Sekeres is another negative asshole. Always looking to poke holes. Maybe walk the sea wall and stay off the Cod and chips buds. He has more chins than a Chinese phone book. Mix in a salad.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The offer tabled a month ago was effectively a blank cheque. To delay from then on, even when JP Barry says he needs to reengage, is needless. Pettersson created a story out of nothing.

What caught my attention was Sat and Serravelli both indicating they were apart in money in the offseason. I know $12m+ AAV ask is hard to imagine back then, pre Nylander contract, so it didn't get done. Fine, but Pettersson has to adjust on his 'in season no negotiation' rule when the team comes back with his price. Adapt to the change.

It was just money in the end. Not hating JT Miller, not about winning, not firing Boudreau, not liking Vancouver, not missing Horvat, not liking the media, liking video games, not interested in hockey, wanting out of the fishbowl, being permanently scarred by Benning etc... What a relief.
It wasn't a blank cheque.

and it wasn't effectively a blank cheque, or we would be discussing $13-14m aav.

Again, if Petey had clicked with Lindy, the Carilina hammer becomes a pillow, and no deal is getting done at this time at less. That is just one possible situation facing Petey that made a delay anything but needless.

It's ok to revise an opinion when someone points out something that was not previously considered..

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Wonder what happens first, a Petey extension or a Kessel signing. :p:

>Canucks call for a press conference
>Petey walks out with Aqua, Rutherford, and Allvin
>They announce they've signed a franchise record contract
>Glass shatters, Stone Cold music hits
>Kessel walks out with a beer in one hand and hot dog on the other
>Stunners Petey and signs the contract.

Its really the only realistic way that whole signing could go down.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Well who exactly should be paid like a superstar then? The guy is a top 10 forward in the game. I’d rather overpay a star player by a million or two than scrubs like Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter by millions a year.

Not saying you but there is certain part of this fanbase and definitely media members (Jeff Patterson, Drance etc) that is irate if he signs a max term deal. It’s way more important to win an argument on the internet than to actually enjoy the team or the game. Sekeres is another negative asshole. Always looking to poke holes. Maybe walk the sea wall and stay off the Cod and chips buds. He has more chins than a Chinese phone book. Mix in a salad.
Occasionally he plays like that yes, but often he looks like a 6 million dollar player. You don't pay 12 M for that much inconsistency and sulking.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I still can't get over the balls on our management crew. I'm still in shock today about the rumored Carolina offer for Pettersson. I'm actually very happy that this rumor came out to potentially speed up the signing process. Pettersson wanting to leave everything for the last minute really screws with other potential deals to improve the team. Canucks need some depth at forward and another top 4 defenseman but likely are sitting in a Pettersson deal before they pull the trigger on any other potential deal. With the Canucks continuously saying if they acquire another big name player they do not want it to be a rental, well it's kind of hard to acquire these types of star players when your top forward is playing hardball. The general manager Allvin needs to know his cap structure with a signed Pettersson in it, or potentially out of it. Very smart negotiation tactic by Allvin/Rutherford showing all along that they are willing and wanting to sign the star forward pretty much at any price, but also showing you're not greater than the team.

I honestly love it.

Reactions: oceanchild
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad