Rumor: Canucks on the verge of signing Elias Pettersson for eight years!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
It could always have gone either way though. And its better for management to know now that Petey won't re-sign then on July 1st.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm happy it seems like it's going to work out, but that was (is?) risky especially if they truly didn't know what was on EP's mind. EP held all the cards. All he had to say was he will not sign with anyone and the team is hooped.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
People are acting like a package that may include some of Necas, Jarvis, Nikishin, Teravainen, Svech and picks is bad is out to lunch.

Id take Jarvis, Nikishin and Necas in a nanosecond
They have a couple alterations that would make sense and possibly make us a more complete team. Morrow would be of interest as well.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

This is from yesterday and before the Friedman report.

-Pettersson came back to the Canucks and said he was tired of it
-working on an 8 year extension
-feels like cooler heads have prevailed
-Canucks would be thrilled to get this done and overwith
-since October/November, the Canucks have been given the stiff arm
-not really an incredibly complicated contract
-Canucks have been ready to roll on this for a long time coming
-unlikely any trade deadline moves directly linked to this

Rest of the stuff is in the trade rumours thread.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It wasn't a blank cheque.

and it wasn't effectively a blank cheque, or we would be discussing $13-14m aav.

Again, if Petey had clicked with Lindy, the Carilina hammer becomes a pillow, and no deal is getting done at this time at less. That is just one possible situation facing Petey that made a delay anything but needless.

It's ok to revise an opinion when someone points out something that was not previously considered..

I have revised my opinion on the CAR hammer and Lindholm just yesterday...? New data changed it. And I appreciate the insight into what hockey agents consider.

As to the delay: He wasn't negotiating at all. If the goal was more money, whether due to the Lindholm bump or just improved production, why not keep negotiating to that end throughout? The easiest thing to do is ask for it, rather than have to angle for it.

Management was chasing this guy for meetings and tabled at least 2 contracts (that we know of). One in the offseason and one in their December meeting (iirc). The money was there. They didn't even know if Pettersson wanted to be here (cone of silence), let alone that he was just about the dolllar...

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
EP is very secretive.

Mgmt is very secretive.

Leaked that mgmt and EP in contract negotiations.

Leaked that mgmt had talks with Carolina over EP deal.

So who blinks first?

Right now I think this goes either way.

I’m not sure that we can we really rely on theories based on management being secretive. The Hronek trade came out of nowhere but as it was later reported the trade itself materialized and finalized in a short period of time. Otherwise we’ve heard about Canucks’ interests pretty much every step of the way. Certainly no more leaky or tight-lipped than usual?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Dhaliwal on Halford & Brough this morning. Rest of the stuff is in the trade rumours thread.

Pettersson:
-two things played a role in getting Pettersson to come to the table
-1) noise in the market; some people were not happy when the leaks starting happening
-2) teams started calling after hearing all that noise; Carolina showed big time interest; no team was trading for him without an extension
-Canucks met with Pettersson but not Pettersson going to the Canucks; they explained to him that there's a possiblity of a trade
-that talk plus the noise got Pettersson to approach them
-a week or two ago Pettersson had no interest in talking contract; some people feel he still doesn't want to
-Canucks have ownership's approval for a large extension
-management made it clear to Pettersson that they don't want a Tkachuk & Gaudreau situation
-talking 6-7-8 year deals but could be lower; Canucks want long term and are only in this mess because the previous regime only signed him for three years and don't want to deal with this again in a couple of years
-met with his agents at the All-Star game and nothing in his mentality changed
-some people think this is going to get done
-Pettersson went to Tocchet a few weeks ago and asked how he deals with the noise
-agents want to get as much as possible in signing bonuses and front loaded
-if the contract is in the 11m range, then Pettersson did the team a huge favour

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I’m going to just say I believe that Pettersson gets traded before the deadline.

It may not be popular and it may not help us win the cup this year. But, it will be management doing what they feel is best for the team.

No idea where he goes or what we get, it’s just a guy feeling I have. To much noise from a group that can be so quiet.

It feels like Horvat and no Hronek. I think they are going to play hardball in negotiations and keep it below 12 and I think Petey is going to tell them to pound sand. (I get both positions). The problem with how this has played out, is they can’t leave it until the offseason now, it’s become a thing and it requires a resolution.

I have a lot of faith in this management team, but I’m actually honestly nervous.

Reactions: David71

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i still have a hard time figuring out what's going on

my best guess is pettersson was actually undecided about whether he wants to stay or not and wanted to hold off on making that decision? management isn't comfortable with risking he elects arbitration and walks in a year so they force his hand? i dunno if this is a positive for getting him signed but at least we'll get clarity relatively soon

Reactions: Jerry the great

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I’m going to just say I believe that Pettersson gets traded before the deadline.

It may not be popular and it may not help us win the cup this year. But, it will be management doing what they feel is best for the team.

No idea where he goes or what we get, it’s just a guy feeling I have. To much noise from a group that can be so quiet.

It feels like Horvat and no Hronek. I think they are going to play hardball in negotiations and keep it below 12 and I think Petey is going to tell them to pound sand. (I get both positions). The problem with how this has played out, is they can’t leave it until the offseason now, it’s become a thing and it requires a resolution.

I have a lot of faith in this management team, but I’m actually honestly nervous.
^ Vectors post is interesting. They are open to signing him and trading him as well. I know that isn’t what it says, but it’s how I read it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The contract talks with Pettersson resumed so fast after the Carolina 'trade rumors'. that if you were into 'conspiracy theories' , someone like Eklund might speculate that it's a 'sign and trade'.

Certainly Carolina would never have had trade talks and even considered expending the assets to acquire a guy like Pettersson, if they weren't absolutely guarantied they could sign him to an extension. But obviously that's not happening now.

Disrupting your entire roster to land a big fish like Pettersson, is the kind of move best made in the off-season. It wouldn't happen at the TDL, with only a month left on the schedule.

Still, it obviously the attention of Pettersson and his agent.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Sounds like he will either be signed or traded for what they can get by July 1st. Hopefully one happens before the trade deadline to save us all the drama. The closer it gets to July 1st, the more Tkachuk/Gaudreau-like this becomes. That situation needs to be avoided.

Somewhat related..
I was at the game last and he looked completely disinterested. Whether that's because the noise is getting to him or he's decided to not try, it looked really bad. Everybody was focused on Boeser's horrible coverage on the 4th goal (and rightly so), but I watched Pettersson slowly drift out of the zone as the Kings went down the ice to score. My friend and I just looked at each other dumbfounded. We couldn't believe he just completely gave up on the play.
He was literally coasting in the neutral zone barely at centre ice when the Kings put it in the net. It was one of the most astonishing displays of lack of effort I have ever seen. Gave me Krutov vibes.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Sounds like he will either be signed or traded for what they can get by July 1st. Hopefully one happens before the trade deadline to save us all the drama. The closer it gets to July 1st, the more Tkachuk/Gaudreau-like this becomes. That situation needs to be avoided.

Somewhat related..
I was at the game last and he looked completely disinterested. Whether that's because the noise is getting to him or he's decided to not try, it looked really bad. Everybody was focused on Boeser's horrible coverage on the 4th goal (and rightly so), but I watched Pettersson slowly drift out of the zone as the Kings went down the ice to score. My friend and I just looked at each other dumbfounded. We couldn't believe he just completely gave up on the play.
He was literally coasting in the neutral zone barely at centre ice when the Kings put it in the net. It was one of the most astonishing displays of lack of effort I have ever seen. Gave me Krutov vibes.
Yeah, he always pouts when a play doesn't go his way and then gives up on it. The coaches should be trying to work this out of him, but perhaps they've already tried. It's a terrible trait to have as a star player, and he needs to smarten the **** up.

Reactions: Nomobo

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

At this stage they may be deciding between getting him signed or moving him by the deadline. If he signs, great. If he doesn’t, it’s because he chose not to, and if you’re in management’s shoes I’m not sure you can risk waiting to the offseason when you have no leverage because every team knows you tried to sign him but failed and he can set himself up to walk in a year.

Reactions: iceburg

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Dhaliwal on Halford & Brough this morning. Rest of the stuff is in the trade rumours thread.

Pettersson:
-two things played a role in getting Pettersson to come to the table
-1) noise in the market; some people were not happy when the leaks starting happening
-2) teams started calling after hearing all that noise; Carolina showed big time interest; no team was trading for him without an extension
-Canucks met with Pettersson but not Pettersson going to the Canucks; they explained to him that there's a possiblity of a trade
-that talk plus the noise got Pettersson to approach them
-a week or two ago Pettersson had no interest in talking contract; some people feel he still doesn't want to
-Canucks have ownership's approval for a large extension
-management made it clear to Pettersson that they don't want a Tkachuk & Gaudreau situation
-talking 6-7-8 year deals but could be lower; Canucks want long term and are only in this mess because the previous regime only signed him for three years and don't want to deal with this again in a couple of years
-met with his agents at the All-Star game and nothing in his mentality changed
-some people think this is going to get done
-Pettersson went to Tocchet a few weeks ago and asked how he deals with the noise
-agents want to get as much as possible in signing bonuses and front loaded
-if the contract is in the 11m range, then Pettersson did the team a huge favour
Thanks for writing this all out, and clarifying this weird situation.

From reading this, I liked the way the Canucks went about their business here..Walking Pettersson to free agency would have been an unmitigated disaster.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This is the type of stunt you pull on a standard 22-32-8 Canucks team, not one leading the division.

It is no coincidence this team started spiraling when the chatter started heating up.
Joshua is out as well and the Canucks season had to hit some adversity somewhere might just be bad luck too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
End of the day, I can't blame Petey for wanting to wait. After the PO run in 2020, what happened when the, to quote FA "the dark days were supposed to be behind them"? 3 straight seasons of out of the PO race by 1/4 of the season. So, no issues with him wanting to play it out.

He's taking the risk here. Plus, I don't think it's hard to earmark a $12 mill or whatever placeholder for his cap charge moving forward, same with $7 mill or whatever for Hronek.

Both sides could have gone term in 2021, but in the 8 plus weeks between end of season and OEL move, they couldn't finalize a deal.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
End of the day, I can't blame Petey for wanting to wait. After the PO run in 2020, what happened when the, to quote FA "the dark days were supposed to be behind them"? 3 straight seasons of out of the PO race by 1/4 of the season. So, no issues with him wanting to play it out.

He's taking the risk here. Plus, I don't think it's hard to earmark a $12 mill or whatever placeholder for his cap charge moving forward, same with $7 mill or whatever for Hronek.

Both sides could have gone term in 2021, but in the 8 plus weeks between end of season and OEL move, they couldn't finalize a deal.

Actually, if indeed there is a $11m-$12m, eight year contract on the table as reported, then you have to seriously question Pettersson and his agent, . Why would they want to wait? Wait for what? What if he goes down with an injury? A lot can happen in year, before he would become a UFA next July.

Maybe the deal with Carolina was so good that the Canucks would never be able to replicate it if they waited until Pettersson was well into his UFA year, before trading him. So you could understand it if they wanted a definitive answer as of right now.

Clearly the goalposts have dramatically changed in the last week. If Pettersson hasn't signed his deal by the TDL in less than a week, then maybe the Canucks re-visit the deal with the 'Canes.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
The title of this thread lol

Imagine if this falls through, some pants will be soiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad