Rumor: Canucks on the verge of signing Elias Pettersson for eight years!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’m just gonna say—the longer this drags on after the initial breaking of the rumor—the more anxious I get about it falling through.

Me too. That's why I said the other day I'm not celebrating / dunking on anyone / crediting the balls of our management group until a deal is actually signed.

Friedman's radio hit in particular this morning is filled with a lot of concerning notes.

EDIT: Those notes being - that apparently word that Pettersson wanted to talk extension shocked his teammates, who were surprised at it; that Rutherford brought their trade discussions to Pettersson and said if you're not going to give us an answer, this is something we'll have to consider. And also, Dreger saying that within the last week, the Canucks approached some limited teams to gauge interest in a Pettersson trade, which put pressure on the player.

Again - this all contradicts Seravalli's story which was Pettersson felt the noise in Vancouver got to be too much and asked his representatives to get a deal done.

Both sides are pushing a narrative here. But it still sounds fraught with uncertainty until something actually gets signed.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
This is not complicated. Fact is, if Pettersson got anywhere near arbitration and a 1-year deal that walks him to UFA the Canucks would basically be forced to trade him. It was never about the team, they were trying to sign him, it was that Pettersson wouldn't negotiate. Something changed this past week, who knows what.
The team clearly doesn’t trust him enough to let this go to the summer.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Me too. That's why I said the other day I'm not celebrating / dunking on anyone / crediting the balls of our management group until a deal is actually signed.

Friedman's radio hit in particular this morning is filled with a lot of concerning notes.

EDIT: Those notes being - that apparently word that Pettersson wanted to talk extension shocked his teammates, who were surprised at it; that Rutherford brought their trade discussions to Pettersson and said if you're not going to give us an answer, this is something we'll have to consider. And also, Dreger saying that within the last week, the Canucks approached some limited teams to gauge interest in a Pettersson trade, which put pressure on the player.

Again - this all contradicts Seravalli's story which was Pettersson felt the noise in Vancouver got to be too much and asked his representatives to get a deal done.

Both sides are pushing a narrative here. But it still sounds fraught with uncertainty until something actually gets signed.
Really, there's no new news when you get down to it. We know the Canucks management put forth a contract at the start of the season that was 8 years and around 100mil. This has been known.

All that has happened is Seravalli broke the news that both sides were now talking...which isn't earth shattering news as that is the agents job, right?

Now you are getting different variations of a story from insiders that have shown to be unreliable. Like, I guarantee we will only find out about a Pettersson extension via a Twitter/Press release from the Canucks.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Honestly don’t know why Pettersson wants to wait for the offseason. You either want to be here or not. If you do - why aren’t you signing then? You’re putting yourself before the crest on the front of the jersey. I can see why he wasn’t named captain.

I like the player, but jeez did management really have to go this route to bring you back to the table? I’m sure they didn’t want to do this and entertain offer from Carolina.

Honestly don’t think JR cares at this point, it’s on his terms or let’s move on - let us know if you want to be here or if you don’t because a trade is ready for you. All the media noise got to him, clearly the message was sent to him “if you don’t like the noise - you have the power to end it all by just friggen signing. “

I know everyone will say it’s his right, why does he need to sign right now - there’s no rush. But management needs to plan ahead, especially for this deadline if they want to go forward and try and win a cup and for the future. Speed is everything.

Having said all that, I hope there’s an announcement about his signing tonight that way the group has a week to prepare for TDL.

Reactions: wetcoast

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I'd rather Van resign Petey. Young, top 5 C, these generally are untouchable.
But if a deal were to go down,
Necas resigned for Petey resigned but Carolina would have to add a BOATLOAD

You're moving a top5 C for a 30th, or 30-35th ranked center?

add: Nikishin, Drury, and a on-roster player that brings value but also balances cap. (Pesce maybe)

Reactions: oceanchild

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I posted a longer response in the trade thread but wanted to copy this thought into this thread which has considerable more deep thought about this situation.

I just think something is off here and don’t be surprised if it all goes sideways. If the team was really committed to Petey and the team was sold that this group was good enough to win the cup…..then any offer wouldn’t have been good enough to approach him in season and force open negotiations.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I can well imagine Petey's reaction to the possibility of being traded to the hockey wasteland that is Carolina. Alvin is a genius, he is basically saying "piss or get off the pot, we'll get what we can for you and you can rot in NASCAR land, we have work to do NOW".

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I posted a longer response in the trade thread but wanted to copy this thought into this thread which has considerable more deep thought about this situation.

I just think something is off here and don’t be surprised if it all goes sideways. If the team was really committed to Petey and the team was sold that this group was good enough to win the cup…..then any offer wouldn’t have been good enough to approach him in season and force open negotiations.
this is just as much planning for the next several years as it is about the team playing well this year

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
this is just as much planning for the next several years as it is about the team playing well this year
I would agree, except it’s a huge risk to open this up during the season and we are seeing the team go sideways. It could have been pushed and they could have made assumptions.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I can well imagine Petey's reaction to the possibility of being traded to the hockey wasteland that is Carolina. Alvin is a genius, he is basically saying "piss or get off the pot, we'll get what we can for you and you can rot in NASCAR land, we have work to do NOW".
Carolina (Raleigh specifically) is not a hockey wasteland.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I would agree, except it’s a huge risk to open this up during the season and we are seeing the team go sideways. It could have been pushed and they could have made assumptions.
it is - and they get to see what happens when its uncomfortable... shot across the bow that it is team first imo

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I mean Petey could call the bluff, play out a year in Carolina and then hit free agency 16 months from now and choose his destination.

He'd be an absolute villain in 2 cities, but he could do it.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
it is - and they get to see what happens when its uncomfortable... shot across the bow that it is team first imo
Understood, your damned if you do or damned if you don’t. I think this could derail the season. I also think we are two top 6 forwards short and might not have enough bite in the line up.

The team needs to either change the make up (trade Pettersson for multiple assets and some cap space) or trade to add to the team and need security. But it’s interesting that they needed to force things and couldn’t rely on good faith.

This appears to be a huge power move.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Understood, your damned if you do or damned if you don’t. I think this could derail the season. I also think we are two top 6 forwards short and might not have enough bite in the line up.

The team needs to either change the make up (trade Pettersson for multiple assets and some cap space) or trade to add to the team and need security. But it’s interesting that they needed to force things and couldn’t rely on good faith.

This is the type of stunt you pull on a standard 22-32-8 Canucks team, not one leading the division.

It is no coincidence this team started spiraling when the chatter started heating up.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
This can all go very sideways

And if it does, he still deserves the award.

He's looking out for the best interests of the team and is trying to give us as many options for forward progress as possible.

Sometimes those things go sideways, but the process and effort should be appreciated too.

The team cannot move forward when our biggest contract commitment is still so unknown. Pettersson has every right to conduct himself as he sees fit, and I support him, but the team also has a right to know where things stand so they can move forward with other options and I will never fault a management team for pushing things to get clarity on things like that.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

i think they have relied on good faith for a year, that is a good amount of time to survey your situation, weigh it out and decide if you want to stay

realizing peteys number will greatly affect long term planning as well as potentially adding termed solutions right now, it is reasonable to push a decision - or simply presenting that you have explored options.

Reactions: quat and oceanchild

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
EP is very secretive.

Mgmt is very secretive.

Leaked that mgmt and EP in contract negotiations.

Leaked that mgmt had talks with Carolina over EP deal.

So who blinks first?

Right now I think this goes either way.

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
Honestly Petey would be better served in a market like Carolina given his personality. I am glad he wants to resign here, but I hope once this is done, it frees his mind and stress and just gets back to simple hockey and letting his rocket go. And maybe a little more time on his skates.

Reactions: quat

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I’m just gonna say—the longer this drags on after the initial breaking of the rumor—the more anxious I get about it falling through.

Same. This could go sideways like the Gretzky ultimatum to sign or else...

I missed that...so his teammates all thought that he was going to wait until the end of season, and are now shocked that he wanted to talk contract?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Same. This could go sideways like the Gretzky ultimatum to sign or else...

It could always have gone either way though. And its better for management to know now that Petey won't re-sign then on July 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad