Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think McWard will surprise some of you this year

I look at last year as a wide eyed rookie who looked to be sound fundamentally and learn to limit mistakes. This year i could see a player more comfortable with the systems understand his gap control and when to be assertive and more able to take advantage of some very good tools.

His season has to be looked at in the context of being in his draft+5. He was OK and pretty solid fundamentally but his defensive play certainly didn't 'pop' to me in any way.

I'm sure he'll improve next year but this was essentially a 3RD in the AHL in his draft+5 which to me ... isn't close to making the NHL. Again, as an AHL player he wasn't even close to Jett Woo who is nearly the same age.

I'm with Allvin on McWard i think he was better than Juulsen in the pre season he just didn't have the experience and needed to play and develop vs being a spare.

I strongly disagree here. He had one pretty good preseason game in the first game he played with Hughes and then they gave him 3 more and in those other 3 games he looked terrible - took a million penalties because he was just miles behind the play and reacting and looked nowhere near ready to be anywhere near the NHL.

Then when he wen't to Abby he had to work through the adjustments of a excellent pro league vs NCAA hockey which is much more unstructured and was feathered in vs lumping big minutes and responsibilities on him.

Fair enough.

But again, when you're an NCAA signing you have to be good quickly. Max Sasson is in the same situation and he showed a much sharper curve, and from November 1 onward was nearly a PPG player for Abbotsford while also being one of the team's better defensive forwards. McWard, to me, didn't show that level of progression.

And again, I just don't know what he is or what the projection is. He isn't a defensive defender - smallish, not physical at all, not really a guy who projects to play high-leverage - and he isn't really a skill defender either. He's just kind of a middling all-around AHL player, to me, and those guys don't project.

Reactions: msew27 and Vector

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
schmaltz, schwartz, what's the difference?
1719264539535.png

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see this morning the Canucks are once again being linked to UFA forward Tyler Tofoli. Hard to believe that since leaving the Canucks, he's now played for four different teams--Habs, Flames, Devils and Jets.

Means one of two things. Either the guy is still productive and a tradeable commodity at the TDL; or teams have decided that he's not worth signing to a new contract so they deal him for what they can get.

The second edition of Tofoli in Vancouver might work--if they can get him cheaply enough.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Tomorrow, hopefully, we'll see a bunch of players placed on waivers for buyouts, extensions, and trades that have all essentially been sitting in the queue. This week is insane. I have the dates detailed out in the stickied original post but

Monday: Stanley Cup Final
Tuesday: Players placed on unconditional waivers for buyouts
Wednesday: Buyouts complete
Thursday: NHL awards
Friday: NHL draft Day 01
Saturday: NHL draft Day 02
Sunday: Day of Rest
Monday: Free Agency Opens/QO Date

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If Guentzel can't be signed and the Leafs want to keep Marner:

Tavares ($8,750,000 or 20% retained)
Liljegren
for
Mikheyev
Rights to Zadorov
2025 4th

Play Tavares on EP's wing and he can play C when needed. Frees up substantial space for next offseason without strapping the team in LT with a bad contract.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Tomorrow, hopefully, we'll see a bunch of players placed on waivers for buyouts, extensions, and trades that have all essentially been sitting in the queue. This week is insane. I have the dates detailed out in the stickied original post but

Monday: Stanley Cup Final
Tuesday: Players placed on unconditional waivers for buyouts
Wednesday: Buyouts complete
Thursday: NHL awards
Friday: NHL draft Day 01
Saturday: NHL draft Day 02
Sunday: Day of Rest
Monday: Free Agency Opens/QO Date
Still watching hockey a week before July is stupid.

Shorten up the weeks of pre-season/camp and play out the Cup final by the end of May.

This has dragged on forever.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The famed A*hole coaches who play mindgames frequently seem to identify guys they can push to be successful and or guys that are weak. Take Marner. He is undoubtedly a star in the league and the frequent thing you hear about Marner is that he has a massive ego and that he needs to change. Day 1 Babcock identifies Marner as a guy to screw with for pleasure.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Twitter’s such a stupid platform now lmao

I mean, stop using it, but every single hockey-related news item basically breaks on there now. It's where all the insiders post their latest. All trade and signing news comes from a Tweet, either an insider or the club itself uses it. I guess you could Shift + F5 Sportsnet or TSN until something pops up if you wanted to be super 1990s.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 26th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th
Dude your transaction tracker is amazing. Thought about doing something like this myself this summer and now I don't have to. Your work is very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad