Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Playoffs this year have taught us:

1. Top end firepower is crucial - great special teams is crucial.
  2. Top 9 F & Top 4 D have to be great, bottom pairing & 4th line can be revolving AHLers, upper end of the lineup is much more important.
  3. Goaltending is overrated, team defence & coaching adjustments can affect goalie performance.
  4. Size, Strength, Speed, Grit, Determination, Will, Intensity, Physicality Matter a lot more in the playoffs than they do in the regular season.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I mean if we packaged Mikheyev and added some other non meaningful assets - is it really that bad if it’s only for 1 year? (Re: Marner) We can just put the top 6 issue next offseason if Marner completely blows in the playoffs.

2 birds 1 stone?

Obviously not ideal but it isn’t the worst thing I guess?
Dont see how or why TO pays 7-8m in dead money to get a premier goalie but also lose a premier scoring forward and a really good young goalie in Woll.

Teams will have interest in Marner without them having to eat money. Treliving would get instantly fired

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Dont see how or why TO pays 7-8m in dead money to get a premier goalie but also lose a premier scoring forward and a really good young goalie in Woll.

Teams will have interest in Marner without them having to eat money. Treliving would get instantly fired
I’m not suggesting trading Demko? Don’t understand your post

Mikheyev+1st round pick would be a base. Would have to hear what they want. I’m pretty sure we would have to pay a 1st to dump Mikheyev anyways.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Infinitely prefer Soucy at his current deal than Zadorov at 5+ on a 6 year deal.

Again, Soucy’s the one who had harder matchups and was clearly not 100% in the second half of the season.

Yes you lose the hits but I’m not sure the offensive drive we saw in the playoffs was anything more than a combo of luck, short sample, and difference in health.

Soucy’s first half pre-injury seemed more representative of the player we’ll be getting over the next two seasons, and the obvious thing they need to do is upgrade on Myers next to him.

Yeah I agree to a large extent. Zadorov scored a couple big goals and racked up some points in the playoffs. A couple big hits but his overall defence is not very strong imo. We were hemmed in our zone for extended periods with him on the ice. His defensive IQ and especially consistency is not great. He's more of a $4 mil dollar player than $5+ in my eyes. Also more of a 3 or 4 year deal, not a huge retirement deal. I find Soucy to be be a better player for keeping the other team off the scoresheet.

Reactions: Fedz and bossram

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think McWard will surprise some of you this year

I look at last year as a wide eyed rookie who looked to be sound fundamentally and learn to limit mistakes. This year i could see a player more comfortable with the systems understand his gap control and when to be assertive and more able to take advantage of some very good tools.

I'm with Allvin on McWard i think he was better than Juulsen in the pre season he just didn't have the experience and needed to play and develop vs being a spare.

Then when he wen't to Abby he had to work through the adjustments of a excellent pro league vs NCAA hockey which is much more unstructured and was feathered in vs lumping big minutes and responsibilities on him.
I’m not suggesting trading Demko? Don’t understand your post

Mikheyev+1st round pick would be a base. Would have to hear what they want. I’m pretty sure we would have to pay a 1st to dump Mikheyev anyways.
Apologies i thought you were backing up the Izzy post? Yes if we are keeping Demko and moving a 1st and Mikhayev that's a different story all together even if i cant stand Marner

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Jeesh Tanev and Toffoli????

Both should be considered nothing but #5D and 6F in terms of salary and what they could bring

Unfortunately both are looking at 5 million and term. Im not jumping on those grenades popular guys or not.

Toffoli should not be a target, but Tanev is coming off a playoff run in which he only allowed 1 5-on-5 goal being matched up against the Eichel line and the MacKinnon line, to call him a "#5 D" is a gross exaggeration.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
I mean...that's how a depth chart works. There's literally no one above him who can play in the NHL this year. You can shift over Soucy but that leaves a similar hole on the left side.

LD:
Hughes
Soucy
Wolanin
Hirose
Pettersson
Kudryavtsev
Mynio

RD:
Hronek
Juulsen
Friedman
McWard
Again, if you want to assume that this was strictly a depth chart and not biased in any way, then sure. I think their latest post confirms otherwise.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
drance & dhaliwal have talked about it before but what fans think discounts are versus what they actually are is very different

you could make the argument that hronek “took a discount” given the leverage he had to push for arbitration

like maybe 5.5x6 becomes 5x6… that’s a pretty significant discount that still makes zero sense for us.

i think the opportunity cost argument with zadorov isn’t a good one given dillon can be signed for cheaper on the left side and they can reallocate a 5mm hole for upgrading top four right side.

idk im very against a zadorov signing.
I was referring to toffoli, but I think Zadorov is worth some term if it keeps the aav beginning with a four.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Again, if you want to assume that this was strictly a depth chart and not biased in any way, then sure. I think their latest post confirms otherwise.

Who are the guys you think are above McWard on the right side? Because it's bleak and I don't see anyone there.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I forgot that Keefe is Devils coach and with the Devils allegedly getting Pesce

Mikheyev for Marino suddenly doesn't seem so farfetched!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
we need to find the next Miller and obviously it's unlikely he's gonna be Miller good but my point stands

If we trade our 1st and buyout Mikhayev and get the exact player we want at 23-26 on a good value contract you kill 2 birds with one stone

You avoid the UFA 30yr old anchor contract in 3-4yrs. You maintain roster flexibility given you can trade said player if a prospect blows the doors off and Mikhayev's dead money and that players salary are less that a maxed out UFA big name player.

If we pay to trade Mikhayev a huge price then go and get Guentzel were screwed in 3 yrs unless him and Miller can defy the aging process
imo the full court press from the org (after this summer) needs to be finding the next wyatt johnston so that there’s an internal solution that allows miller to move to the wing or lower down in the lineup in a few years

it’s obviously unrealistic but getting that kind of w is how you keep a window open when guys like jamie benn age

I was referring to toffoli, but I think Zadorov is worth some term if it keeps the aav beginning with a four.

p sure toffoli wanted 5 years from nj.

Reactions: vancityluongo

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Who are the guys you think are above McWard on the right side? Because it's bleak and I don't see anyone there.
Unless he makes huge strides, whichever AHL/NHL tweener journeymen we sign this summer for depth.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Behind Hronek and probably Myers we have Juulsen Friedman and McWard who our GM actually mentioned as a player they are high on..... it's not a bias?

The only bias i have is unlike some who think he is a nothing player/signing i disagree and like his upside.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
There have been a ton of ups and downs with his career in that market. Trade rumors, healthy scratches, shitty deployment, immense pressure...you name it.
I don't know, it looked to me like they handled his development pretty well. He wasn't immediately gifted top line ice time or PP1 despite his draft status. Held him accountable defensively. When he forced the issue (with his play) he got more ice time, with better linemates. Over the last 2 seasons, he's had more 5v5 time than every forward other than Panarin and Trocheck....he just hasn't been able to crack PP1. I think one could reasonably argue that he's a better all around player now because they made him earn his ice.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
With Marino we run into the same issue as with my interest in Liljegren - a Hronek, Hughes, Willander (assuming he pans out) group is already small enough. Need size for the remaining two spots.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'd love DeMelo but there's been nothing linking him to the Canucks. He's also going to be too expensive unless they move Mikheyev and go really cheap elsewhere on the roster.

how? AFP has him at $5.3 x 4. that's less than rumored zadorov money. we can for sure fit that in, it just means dillon/myers either takes a bit less or you scrap one of them and go with desharnais/juulsen as the #6. i agree it becomes tight if you sign guentzel or lindholm or keep all of zadorov, joshua, blueger, myers, etc. but that's why i'd sign him before doing any of those other moves, and i don't think doing so precludes any of the above individually.

a soucy-demelo pairing would be mouth watering. imo he is the player that so many here remember tanev as.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
how? AFP has him at $5.3 x 4. that's less than rumored zadorov money. we can for sure fit that in, it just means dillon/myers either takes a bit less or you scrap one of them and go with desharnais/juulsen as the #6. i agree it becomes tight if you sign guentzel or lindholm or keep all of zadorov, joshua, blueger, myers, etc. but that's why i'd sign him before doing any of those other moves, and i don't think doing so precludes any of the above individually.

a soucy-demelo pairing would be mouth watering. imo he is the player that so many here remember tanev as.

I'm going under the assumption that they'll get Guentzel at the 7y/9.5m offer. With Mikheyev still in that fold, that leaves 4.7m for two 3rd liners, a bottom-pair, and back-up goalie. Removing Mikheyev would double that to 9.45m but that still ends up being pretty thin.

Reactions: vancityluongo

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
With Marino we run into the same issue as with my interest in Liljegren - a Hronek, Hughes, Willander (assuming he pans out) group is already small enough. Need size for the remaining two spots.
Not as huge a deal if the surrounding d-men are big and nasty enough / can tread water physically and play hockey. Edmonton and Florida’s D aren’t necessarily scary physically.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
it's going to be a ridiculously lopsided trade. something like schwartz, macceli and a couple of 2nds

Reactions: Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad