Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Joshua at 3.25 and Debrusk at 5.5 is better than Guentzel at 9.5/10 m for me. Gives us the size/strength we need to complement our top scorers
- Joshua ensures Garland will flourish in his role for the next couple years and our 3rd line will be a force
- Debrusk gives us speed physicality in our top6 we need and is 27. He should be with his skating in his prime for 4-5yrs and can compliment either of Miller-Boeser or Pettersson-Lekkerimaki.
- Also allows some fluidity for that last top6 spot.
* If Hoglander pops we can pay him
* You can sign a short term top6 like Arvidsson or Toffoli or Duchene plus have the 2 PFs which makes us less top6 heavy and reliant on 2 lines and gives us room next summer or the one after to grab a UFA during our window

Sign Zadorov. Not because he will be worth every penny but because he will be a unicorn force in the post season and Soucy only has 2 more years. By then EP2 can be in the mix and Willander on the right side which should allow for the Hughes raise and again flexibility. He's no Chara but he has some characteristics in physical playoff match ups that makes us extremely hard to play against. Dillon would be fine but in 2 yrs we will be back shopping for a big ticket and he's 34 plus Myers getting long in the tooth. Maybe that's ok but i like Zadorov and he's young enough to fit our window
100% This. I like Guentzel and think he'd be a terrific shortterm fit for us, but longterm I think our cap space is better utilized spreading it out to have a more balanced attack. I don't like being so heavily reliant on one or two lines, DeBrusk can do enough to unlock Petey because he's a substantial upgrade on Mikheyev and being able to retain Joshua now gives us 3 quality lines vs. just 2. I just hope management doesn't have tunnel vision when it comes to Guentzel (who if we got, I'd still be happy about).

• Love
Reactions: sting101

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
If the Leafs are retaining on Marner in a salary dump they should make an offer.

A right shot guy with Pettersson would be ideal.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Marino is an interesting idea if you bank on him bouncing back. Entire NJD team defense fell off a cliff last year after he had really solid results the previous year.

Just not sure we have the assets to be making trades and likely have to lean heavily into UFA market first. Like, I would rather pay no assets and just cap space on a Tanev/Roy/Walker type then have to start trading away next deadlines’ pick assets acquiring guys.

Also in agreement that Toffoli’s speed is a major concern as he moves into his middle 30s but at the right price I’d be interested if we’re striking out elsewhere. Think I’d lean towards a bounce back lower cost Arvidsson type too for that skating and tenacity element (despite small stature)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Infinitely prefer Soucy at his current deal than Zadorov at 5+ on a 6 year deal.

Again, Soucy’s the one who had harder matchups and was clearly not 100% in the second half of the season.

Yes you lose the hits but I’m not sure the offensive drive we saw in the playoffs was anything more than a combo of luck, short sample, and difference in health.

Soucy’s first half pre-injury seemed more representative of the player we’ll be getting over the next two seasons, and the obvious thing they need to do is upgrade on Myers next to him.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Soucy fits the way the Canucks want to play, Marino is not a Tocchet type defenceman. The Canucks want to be heavy and physical from the back end impose there will, that is not how Marino plays.
The idea was to replace Soucy with Dillon (and keep Zadorov). Marino fills a hole on the other side.

alternatively you can try to fill that hole in free agency, but that's harder to do IMO as both Dillon and Zadorov appear to want to be here.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Wonder if there's a world where Rutherford can repeat his Kessel-to-the-Penguins magic here. Could the Canucks do a swap where they're only taking on 5 million salary (by sending a contract back)?

I doubt it would be a popular trade because of 'Leafs Ick' but Kessel had the same Leafs-ick at the time and it led the Penguins to back to back cups.

Only world where I'm interested in marner here is if his salary has indeed rightfully peaked, probably a ~40% chance of that being reality.

Also suspect the only way marner waives is if it's a stud team like vgk / Florida's , or it's very close to Toronto but not in Canada.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
There is a negative chance we move on from Soucy. He has size, some bite, defensive chops, fits in the system, and is an absolute bargain. He would be fetching $4-5M in the current market.
you're probably not wrong due to the NTC etc. but Brendan Dillon is a step up defensively AND physically.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
If our big Top 6 F addition is Toffoli, that's a major fail.

if the team had more cap and he was expected to be the 3rd or 4th best winger he'd be fine but they really need to target someone who can be the best winger on the team (or at least second best if boeser repeats his season)

Reactions: Vector

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Not sure attempting to rectify the disastrous 2020 offseason by going after Toffoli and Tanev is a great move. Tanev I'd be down with but as others have noted the forward corp is slow enough as is.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Wonder if there's a world where Rutherford can repeat his Kessel-to-the-Penguins magic here. Could the Canucks do a swap where they're only taking on 5 million salary (by sending a contract back)?

I doubt it would be a popular trade because of 'Leafs Ick' but Kessel had the same Leafs-ick at the time and it led the Penguins to back to back cups.

marner for one year with a high salary going back >>>>> jake guentzel for 7-8 years

like, if the cost to get him is something like mikheyev, rights to zadorov, podkolzin, and a propsect/pick, i would be very interested.

if they're expecting a full package of picks and high value prospects back, no thanks, but i suspect marner's league wide reputation is pretty tanked

Reactions: BimJenning and Wisp

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
im a marner hater but if you strike out on guentzel and management/tocchet think they can make marner not have disappearing acts every playoffs, you have to look at it

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Huge agree

Decent term and money to a slow guy in his mid 30s when we can’t afford to get slower is an issue to me
Bet the term and money are mid at worst, seems like he wants to be here and the players want him back.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
been thinking too much. is toffoli just a consolation prize if we can't persuade guentzel to sign or is he part of an alternative cap solution?

put another way, is guentzel plan a all the way or is toffoli the real plan a unless we somehow move mikheyev outright?

logically, guentzel is the luxury move here. if we are cap strapped the priority imo should be mid lineup signings to shore up the lineup. i assume there are different options for middle signings but signing guentzel right now with mikheyev on the books and oel's big hit next year reminds me of what the tavares signing did to the leafs cap. it happens at the expense of the supporting cast. it's not a strategy i support.

alternately, is buying out mikheyev a foregone conclusion and is it a question of how much less people get paid if we have to buy out mikheyev?

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Bet the term and money are mid at worst, seems like he wants to be here and the players want him back.
drance & dhaliwal have talked about it before but what fans think discounts are versus what they actually are is very different

you could make the argument that hronek “took a discount” given the leverage he had to push for arbitration

like maybe 5.5x6 becomes 5x6… that’s a pretty significant discount that still makes zero sense for us.

i think the opportunity cost argument with zadorov isn’t a good one given dillon can be signed for cheaper on the left side and they can reallocate a 5mm hole for upgrading top four right side.

idk im very against a zadorov signing.

Reactions: vancityluongo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad